Let's talk Mandalorian Era New Republic Flight Jackets

I always say that zippers in the SWU are like butt cracks, they are there but it is inappropriate to show them.

And Jango had a buttons on his henley but things like zippers and and buttons are the exceptions and not to be the rule when it comes to star wars costuming. Even when a found jacket is used, they go through the effort to hide a the zipper such as Luke's ceremonial jacket. It's just the way it is when it comes to costumes.

And for the sake of SWU fun. It's not a zipper, it is an interlocking environmental magnetic seal. Some might think it look like a zipper the same way they might think Luke lightsaber looks like a vintage flashgun but those folks can go back to their Twilight movies. :D

This might be old news to everyone else, but I assume you made these?
I have two sets of your BSG ranks, and they are great...
Thanks you, The BSG wings were challenging but so satisfying. It was the first pin I did that was an actual replica. I was very proud of them.

I started making the Star Wars wing pins around 2001. The rebel pin design was based off the USN Air Crew wings. Originally the rebel logo was raised and antique gold only. But when I had next batch made, I decided to sink the logo to allow for various enamel coloring.

The imperial wings were based off an image of a Turkish military badge (I think) which were made up of many swords. I drew out the swords in photoshop like most of the designs I did. Every time I did a run, I did a new color and finish combo I never did before.

An antique silver wing pin with the pink logo was used in the fan film, Return of Pink Five.

That's really a 1950/60s L2 series lightweight flight jacket. MA1s never came with epaulets.
Alpha Industries produced some flight jackets with epaulets...
shopping.jpeg

... if this one is a MA1, I don't know?!

Yeah, but the New Hope one would have to be an original.
 Many companies make good 50s and 60s jackets. I have a couple originals and repros myself.
20220213_163634-01.jpeg

Last edited:
WIP jacket. Yes, I know there are zippers, but I'm not cosplaying or anything...just want a cool jacket to wear around. I also realize that the Ghost is only 10", but it's the biggest I can make. I still have to sew on the Victory patches, but my hands started bleeding from sewing the other 3, LOL. I wanted a beat up real leather jacket (so it would last) and found one for $5 on Mercari (after coupons and such).

Still need to make and add more patches. Might add the test Rancor patch I just made.
20231027_154518.jpg
20231027_154431.jpg

20231027_082550.jpg

WIP jacket. Yes, I know there are zippers, but I'm not cosplaying or anything...just want a cool jacket to wear around. I also realize that the Ghost is only 10", but it's the biggest I can make. I still have to sew on the Victory patches, but my hands started bleeding from sewing the other 3, LOL. I wanted a beat up real leather jacket (so it would last) and found one for $5 on Mercari (after coupons and such).

Still need to make and add more patches. Might add the test Rancor patch I just made.
View attachment 1755694View attachment 1755695
View attachment 1755697
How are you sticking the patches to the leather?

Hey all,
This is truly amazing thread.
I was working on Sabine jacket but Without patches and it has been complete.
Now I'm thinking adding patches on jacket.
I feel they used velcro for patches.
What do you think guys?
ELS SABIN JACKET 4.jpg
ELS SABIN JACKET 1 copy.jpg
IMG_3878.jpeg

Its not velcro.. it tends to stick out a bit.. at least 1/8 of an inch.. simply because you have to have the velcro attached to
both the patch and also the jacket. It makes for a patch that sticks out pretty far.
these are sewn or stuck on .. i dont think iron on patches would work with leather either, although
they would stick for a bit, but i think the heat transfer would ruin the leather underneath, and the
transfer would probably separate from the patch with anything more than normal wear.
Heat transfer or iron on patches dont stick well either.. unless you press them good and the melty stuff
gets into both fabrics.
I have had all 3 methods on various items over the decades and i dont really see any evidence of velcro
or iron.. so it has to be sewn on. It just looks sewn. i dont know of another way they would
be attached.
Well, yes i do, but these are not directly embroidered either.
In looking at other pages in this thread, its definitely sewn on patches.
They arent sewn to the very edge, but they are definitely sewn on the jackets.
Tons of reference of these jackets and the patches in earlier pages.

Last edited:
I agree with Rawktrooper that these are not Velcro attachments. I would side with them just being stuck on for filming. Maybe they used a nice thick 3M double sided tape. Maybe they wanted to avoid extra stitching in the closeups. Not something I would recommend for a replica jacket you plan to wear around.

Last edited:
I guess the easiest and fastest way would be to slap on tape.. but bestest is sewing. plus removal is still pretty easy with a seam ripper.. if you really need it off. Im thinking in quality and the fan base noticing details requires them to sew these on.

and my only objections to the double sided tape idea is that 1) it would not even stay as attached as long as an iron-on or melty glue..
because its fabric, that tape just comes off with minor abrasion or moisture or even in the context of spfx.. adding wind. and 2) the thickness again would still be about 1/16 or so and you would have to keep the tape the same shape as the patch for you not to see lump or ridge or edge, or have the edges seem to float and be caught by.. wind. Also tape has been used on harder surfaces and logos on uniforms in the past year or two in the Major Leagues and it has shown that over the course of a couple games, it has the tendency to twist or be torn off or rubbed off with a bit of use.

there is super thin double-sided fabric tape out there, but again that is heat pressure applied, and only meant to be temporary until you sew it as a permanent solution. It tends to release over a short time if you dont get enough heat or pressure on it. plus its not that great of a glue to start with.. its a lot like weak iron-on patch backing and heat application on leather is a no-no.

I sew a lot of stuff.. from sports jerseys to creating costume pieces to military jackets and bags and liners ... it just feels like the best way to attach these things is with a quick pass on a machine. if they use invisible thread on top and keep it next to another embroidery seam or detail it would not be seen. and if you keep the correct tension you wont notice any tell tale spotting or the pull of the thread thru the holes.

Another strike against the tape is the contours and folding of the jacket sleeves. wrapping around the arm and
constant movement and folding of the bends in the sleeves make for a sewing need in my opinion.
If "this is Sabine's jacket" or "Carson's jacket" then you really don't need to take off the patch for using the jacket for some other character, you just
get a different jacket or use it in the background and hope no one notices its actually Sabine's. I'm sure she keeps her own wardrobe
and they don't reuse it for others. Otherwise they have to keep adding and subtracting these patches for swap outs.
then you have people like us noticing those things and saying how dumb they are for doing that. :D

I guess the easiest and fastest way would be to slap on tape.. but bestest is sewing. plus removal is still pretty easy with a seam ripper.. if you really need it off. Im thinking in quality and the fan base noticing details requires them to sew these on.

and my only objections to the double sided tape idea is that 1) it would not even stay as attached as long as an iron-on or melty glue..
because its fabric, that tape just comes off with minor abrasion or moisture or even in the context of spfx.. adding wind. and 2) the thickness again would still be about 1/16 or so and you would have to keep the tape the same shape as the patch for you not to see lump or ridge or edge, or have the edges seem to float and be caught by.. wind. Also tape has been used on harder surfaces and logos on uniforms in the past year or two in the Major Leagues and it has shown that over the course of a couple games, it has the tendency to twist or be torn off or rubbed off with a bit of use.

there is super thin double-sided fabric tape out there, but again that is heat pressure applied, and only meant to be temporary until you sew it as a permanent solution. It tends to release over a short time if you dont get enough heat or pressure on it. plus its not that great of a glue to start with.. its a lot like weak iron-on patch backing and heat application on leather is a no-no.

I sew a lot of stuff.. from sports jerseys to creating costume pieces to military jackets and bags and liners ... it just feels like the best way to attach these things is with a quick pass on a machine. if they use invisible thread on top and keep it next to another embroidery seam or detail it would not be seen. and if you keep the correct tension you wont notice any tell tale spotting or the pull of the thread thru the holes.

Another strike against the tape is the contours and folding of the jacket sleeves. wrapping around the arm and
constant movement and folding of the bends in the sleeves make for a sewing need in my opinion.
If "this is Sabine's jacket" or "Carson's jacket" then you really don't need to take off the patch for using the jacket for some other character, you just
get a different jacket or use it in the background and hope no one notices its actually Sabine's. I'm sure she keeps her own wardrobe
and they don't reuse it for others. Otherwise they have to keep adding and subtracting these patches for swap outs.
then you have people like us noticing those things and saying how dumb they are for doing that. :D
I agree. I think sewing is the way to go regardless of how they attached them for the scene.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back