Let's talk Mandalorian Era New Republic Flight Jackets

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
As someone who spent 22 years in the Naval Aviation Community, I was super stoked to see a SWU version of a traditional flight jacket introduced to the canon.

screen-shot-2023-03-29-at-11-46-15-am-64245d6f2a852.png

I know that The Empire Strikes Back showed their version of a Winter Weather Flight Jacket. Also one might be able to argue that both of Poe's jackets may have been flight jackets but this is a pretty clear nod to the traditional leather flight jacket adorned with flight unit (assumed) patches.

Also worth noting that Zeb's flight gear is sporting flight gear that we see in the sequels. So the transition has started.

Adding image found on Facebook:

338129079_903930824195782_5550424753213700141_n.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a Wested he's wearing?

I wore mine over my X-Wing at Wondercon several years ago.
I don’t think so. There is a good shot of the back as he approaches the building and there is a seam that fits around the lower back area. There is also a diagonal seam on the upper sleeves.

32F4397F-1A9B-4301-9030-0009497D9994.jpeg

I would hazard to guess it is a found item that has the zipper removed.

Last edited:
From the front it looks like an Indiana Jones jacket--and the upper back.

Definitely has that influence as mentioned above that it looks like a Wested. But obviously with the added seams on the arms and back, it probably was some other found jacket with similar elements. I am being told the that it is believed the patches were made. However it looks like the yellow patch has something under it, if maybe they added patches to cover up something that was already there.

If it were me, I'd had gone with a weathered leather version of Luke's ceremonial jacket with a relaxed fit to make it comfy to also fly in with flight gear over it. My hopes is now that they opened the door for top gun like flight jackets, we will see more and maybe some with a little more detail.

Now if i could only get them to start using pilot wings... :p

tempImageOyyCMu.jpg

Definitely has that influence as mentioned above that it looks like a Wested. But obviously with the added seams on the arms and back, it probably was some other found jacket with similar elements. I am being told the that it is believed the patches were made. However it looks like the yellow patch has something under it, if maybe they added patches to cover up something that was already there.

If it were me, I'd had gone with a weathered leather version of Luke's ceremonial jacket with a relaxed fit to make it comfy to also fly in with flight gear over it. My hopes is now that they opened the door for top gun like flight jackets, we will see more and maybe some with a little more detail.

Now if i could only get them to start using pilot wings... :p

View attachment 1685623
Should have gone with the SW band collar to keep the aesthetic at least. These winged collars stray too far into real world, I think.

Should have gone with the SW band collar to keep the aesthetic at least. These winged collars stray too far into real world, I think.
The winged collar you are referring to is called a rolled collar in the apparel world. It has plenty of appearance in the SWU so it is not out of place. But I am with you in that I like a banded or Mandarin collar and would have preferred to see that. I also prefer in real life as well. I have been a sucker for them because most of the original MacGyver shirts had such collars.

Last edited:
As long as they don't use zippers or laces...
When it comes to zippers, laces, and buttons in the SWU, in most cases they are like butt cracks, they are there, but no one really wants to see them.

But it is a big universe and there are many styles in it. So if they show up from time to time, it is okay. Jango was wearing a Henley style woven shirt with visible button placket when Obi Wan paid him a visit in his apartment.

I don’t know if this adds anything of value to this conversation but here is a tweet from Paul Sun-Hyung Lee. He’s a pretty big cosplayer and all around geek himself, he might be able to weigh in if it was a found jacket or custom if asked.

View attachment 1685647
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that because he has a Korean background, his blue and red (birds?) design is influenced by the a red and blue Taegeuk Korean symbol which is also on the national flag of South Korea.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back