'Let's talk all things Tolkien'

What really concerns me is that money speaks, and the mainstream audience will like even generic fantasy. The true fans might hate the show, but I don't think Amazon will feel enough of a boycott or lack of viewership to convince them to change anything.

I've seen some "fans" leave the completely wrong level of criticism for this show thus far and it's been about inclusivity. I actually really love the different races having different races portray them. And that's it. I'm all for melanin inclusion in these fictional races. Tolkien only referenced skin color here and there, but he did mention the Harfoots were the darkest skinned hobbits. Otherwise, doesn't quite matter.

But this project has been dead in the water to me since Tom Shippey left this project pretty early on, as well as one of the original actors. It doesn't really bode well. They also hired nudity consultants...for what now? Are you showing the birth of the elves? Didn't think they were going back that far being that this is the second age. That only leaves a giant GoT level gap.

And why does Galadriel have a Feanorian star on her armor??? Just...what?? And this added human traveling with her? For what? A love triangle with Celeborn??

I can't do another Tauriel thing. I can't.

I've seen some "fans" leave the completely wrong level of criticism for this show thus far and it's been about inclusivity. I actually really love the different races having different races portray them. And that's it. I'm all for melanin inclusion in these fictional races. Tolkien only referenced skin color here and there, but he did mention the Harfoots were the darkest skinned hobbits. Otherwise, doesn't quite matter.

But this project has been dead in the water to me since Tom Shippey left this project pretty early on, as well as one of the original actors. It doesn't really bode well. They also hired nudity consultants...for what now? Are you showing the birth of the elves? Didn't think they were going back that far being that this is the second age. That only leaves a giant GoT level gap.

And why does Galadriel have a Feanorian star on her armor??? Just...what?? And this added human traveling with her? For what? A love triangle with Celeborn??

I can't do another Tauriel thing. I can't.
Yeah, I agree the inclusivity argument is just stupid. Good story is the only issue that should matter. I will say, as someone in the film industry, nudity/sexual content is not the only reason required by SAG to hire an intimacy coordinator. Torture being the main other instance. If actors torture other actor or abuse them physically/emotionally then SAG requires an intimacy coordinator to make sure the talent don't have lasting effects.

Amen! No more studio contrived love triangles!

"When Amazon released photos of its multicultural cast, even without character names or plot details, the studio endured a reflexive attack from trolls—the anonymous online kind."

So for anyone keeping score, if a fan rightly questions why there are non-Anglos in a show based on works that are meant to serve as a MYTHOLOGY OF ENGLAND, then they are "trolls". Brilliant. Shill journalism at its finest. Rather than address a legitimate criticism, just insult the critic.

"Even hard-core fans who regard Tolkien’s work as sacrosanct will recognize his message of unity."

Not sure what this has to do with staying true to his works but okay. Tell you what, for Black Panther 2, I want Wakanda to have European tribes, Asian tribes, Middle-Eastern tribes, South American tribes, you name it. After all, unity!

For the record, if this were most of any of the other franchises, I wouldn't care. But using Tolkien to push the tiresome need for every damn thing in life to be "politically correct" or "inclusive" is a travesty. The world loved Tolkien's works before. There's no "adjustments" that need to be made to it. It is what is. Take it or leave it.

The fact alone that an exploitative company like Amazon, something Tolkien surely would've despised, is producing a Middle-Earth project is insulting enough.

Oh, one more thing. The guys writing this are from Bad Reboot. If that alone isn't the kiss of death, I don't know what is.

Last edited:
DrHIpWwWoAAkZsA.jpg

I really don't think Hollywood is ever gonna learn. The bottom line used to be the dollar makes me holla. Now it's I'm woke and love being broke. I say give em what they want. I know I have been. Don't watch the CW any more. Never had Disney +. Only have Amazon prime for a few shows and free shipping. As much as I want to see the baby Yoda, I can't really support Disney. If Hollywood is against everything I believe in then they can kick rocks. If enough people would speak with their wallets, then they would have to change. Or would they, I really don't know anymore. And I've discovered it's no big loss. Cheers,

Joe

But then they are crunching a vast period of the Second Age? I hope I'm going to be wrong about this show. I don't think even wanted be so wrong about a show....... Please be good...
They have a 5+ season plan. All of the show will be in the second age after the first two episodes

I use the phrase cautiously optimistic too much. I shall now replace it with the phrase hopefully pessimistic. Thank you :lol:

Edit: Horrendous spelling

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back