Leia's Ceremonial Necklace: Prop Replica Collector Options

Thanks a lot. Looks great.

i was going to order some plastic panels. My original thought was to get a smooth polished surface. However as I look at images of the real necklace, I notice that there appears to be some grainy look to the metal. So now I am thinking I should go with something simple like a strong flexible plastic as the grain would be similar. Thoughts?

Thanks a lot. Looks great.

i was going to order some plastic panels. My original thought was to get a smooth polished surface. However as I look at images of the real necklace, I notice that there appears to be some grainy look to the metal. So now I am thinking I should go with something simple like a strong flexible plastic as the grain would be similar. Thoughts?

I don't think the grain of the plastic would quite match the texture of the real necklace.

One idea I had was to order one panel in whatever material, polished or not, then smooth it by sanding/primer/spot putty. Next spray it with a textured spray paint that's close, maybe hammered. You could then mold it and cold cast with aluminum powder, and polish the casts enough to have a metallic shine, but not enough to get rid of the hammered texture.

I don't think the grain of the plastic would quite match the texture of the real necklace.

One idea I had was to order one panel in whatever material, polished or not, then smooth it by sanding/primer/spot putty. Next spray it with a textured spray paint that's close, maybe hammered. You could then mold it and cold cast with aluminum powder, and polish the casts enough to have a metallic shine, but not enough to get rid of the hammered texture.

Any chance that you might try to create the two part closure piece?

The reason I ask is that i have been struggling with how I want t go about a replica. Right now I have considered just buying polished plastic and just spray painting it or getting someone to give it a Alclad paint job. However you did such a great job with the panels that if you did a closure piece, I may consider buying the panels in raw silver. Granted that it would be closer to $700 instead of the $40 plastic version. Not sure if I am willing to commit to that cost or not but like I said, it is a consideration.

Additionally as you mentioned, buying a single panel and casting might be a much cheaper option however molding is not something I have had much luck with.

I finally broke down and bought 14 panels. It took advantage of free shipping deal and the later delivery date for the extra discount. Should have them at the end of the month.

I got them in white polished plastic. I may try to cut a panel in half for fastening.

I would really like to get them painted with Alclad but I do not have an airbrush nor do I plan on getting one. I will probably just try to get the best results i can from a rattle can.

I finally broke down and bought 14 panels. It took advantage of free shipping deal and the later delivery date for the extra discount. Should have them at the end of the month.

I got them in white polished plastic. I may try to cut a panel in half for fastening.

I would really like to get them painted with Alclad but I do not have an airbrush nor do I plan on getting one. I will probably just try to get the best results i can from a rattle can.

Best rattle can chrome IMO is Duplicolor but it pretty much never cures so be careful when handling it, it is a serious fingerprint magnet :(

Got the panels from Shapeway today. think they look great.

IMG_2874.jpg

There is a slight texture but the real necklace has a slight texture as well so I am not going to try to remove it.

Still have not decided about modifying a panel for a fastener or how I am going to go about painting.

I wouldn't go with Alcad or any chrome type plating. The original has quite a dull finish that I think would be best matched with an aluminium or silver paint. Maybe one that can be buffed a little but not too much.

I would definitely get rid of the print lines texture though. Looks too mechanical.

I'd only do Alclad if someone who has an airbrush and was successfully in its application wanted to do it.

but you are right about the finish. I don't think it is dull as much as it is textured based on closeup shots of the necklace. I really don't want to sand each panel so I started experimenting with one. I applied a couple black primer coats and one gloss black coat. Tomorrow I am going to apply a coat of textured silver spray paint. I am hoping the combination will iliminate the print lines and result in the proper texture and sheen.

IMG_2883.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result so far so I am going ahead and move on to the other 13 panels. It's not a great match for the surface but it's what I am going to go with.

This is a low budget project but hopefully it will make a great display piece.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Here is where I am right now...

IMG_2886.jpg

I want to hit the entire thing again with the silver. I still have some print lines showing and I want to paint it with the jump rings on so that the difference in coloring blends a little better.

IMG_2887.jpg

Here it is with the final paint application.

attachment.php

Last edited:
One last picture in the new display stand and with better lighting:

attachment.php

Currently I have a magnetic fastener linked in between two panels so that my daughter can wear it. I plan to attempt to cut one panel in half and fix the magnet fastener to the two pieces so that the end result is closer to the appearance of the real prop.

It's nice. I like. You have officially inspired me... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/chin.gif

thank you. That's nice of you to say. I appreciate that very much.

I had a few ideas for improving the finish such as wet sanding, a clear craft sealer, or chrome paint over the texture. However in the end, I just really like the way it turned out as is. It looks great when my daughter is wearing it.

I modified one of the panels and rigged the underside with magnetic.

IMG_2907.jpg

@Bogleo Thanks again to for the design. If you ever do a closure panel, please let me know.

IMG_2907.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Iirc the closure is one element parted in two pieces. You could do the same and use small magnets on one side and a metal plate on the other side.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back