Leia's Ceremonial Necklace: Prop Replica Collector Options

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Mara Jade's Father, May 16, 2015.

1. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This could be a WTB but I really want to have more discussion with fellow collectors about any experiences they might have had.

I would really like to get a nice replica of Leia's ceremonial necklace but I have not been to thrilled with the options.

Here is what I know:

Ebay: $270.77 (but I think their regular listing price is $70.77)
    Etsy: Sculpy: $75.00
    Paul Michael Design: Sterling Silver: $895.00
    Laaksot: Silver: $1,800

Basically there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. I'd like a non-precious metal with nice detailing and accuracy but at a reasonable price. Anyone know of other options?

Thor25 likes this.
  2. hansolo2504

hansolo2504 Active Member

3. Mara Jade's Father

hansolo2504 likes this.
  4. hansolo2504

hansolo2504 Active Member

Apologies. My mistake :D

5. Sni9er

Sni9er Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i've actually had this on commision from a friend for a while just getting kylo out the way and may look into this haha would make one link SLA printed as a master and then cold cast. no defo start date but it's on my list haha

JJ Griffin and spoudastis like this.
  6. Mara Jade's Father

I'd to see what you come up with.

Does anyone know how many panels was on the actual prop?

7. Mara Jade's Father

I am surprised than no one has made the sections on Shapeway. If they have, I have yet to find it.

It seems that you need 14 regular panels and 1 split panel.

I also recently got a Shapeway email talking about testing aluminum metal and also the ability to link metal parts. Seems like it would be useful for the necklace.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  8. Sni9er

Sni9er Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

good thinking although the cost to print 14 segments in aluminium would be astronomica from shapeways, i'm on the beta it's bloody expencive

JJ Griffin likes this.
  9. Mara Jade's Father

True but I would be interested to what it would cost. Compared to the other alternatives, it might be agreeable... probably not to me... but agreeable to someone.

But still... I'd be interested in 3D parts, even if i had to go to budget materials.

10. Mara Jade's Father

Bump for other options.

11. Mara Jade's Father

Just wanted to bump this thread up with some images from an auction for one of the real necklaces a few months back. There were some good shots and some info about the size.

The piece size is 25 x 27 mm and the total length is 41 cm.jpg The piece size is 25 x 27 mm and total length is 41 cm.jpg

The individual piece size is 25 x 27 mm and the total length of this necklace is 41 cm.

I know that the company has made this necklace with variations such as number of panels but from what I can tell from images of the real prop, this one matches the panel count.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  12. Son of Skywalker

Son of Skywalker Well-Known Member

Very interested in finding or making an alternative my self. Thanks for posting the dimensions. Is the info from the auction still available....I can't find anything?

13. Mara Jade's Father

As mentioned, the auction was a while ago. I think the asking price was a couple thousand dollars give or take. I just filed the info and images away for later use.

14. Mara Jade's Father

I keep hoping that if I keep posting, someone who is...

-nice
    -good with 3D software
    -with some free time

...will design one go these panels (and possible a split panel variant for fastening).

So with that being said, here is some more great images: http://kay-dee.net/costumes/leia_cermonial/necklace/

15. Son of Skywalker

I've been searching but I have yet to find a pic of a panel in profile. If someone has one that would be great!

16. Mara Jade's Father

What type of detail are you hoping to obtain from a profile image? Just wondering.

17. Son of Skywalker

There are a few pics that are close to what I'm looking for but I want to see the height of the peak and valley.

18. Mara Jade's Father

As I mentioned above, the size stated by a past owner of one of these necklaces list the size of the panels at 25 mm x 27 mm.

I wonder if the piece started out as square before bent. FYI: If you convert 27mm, it comes out to 1.06299"

19. Masasui

Masasui New Member

JJ Griffin likes this.
  20. Mara Jade's Father

The dent look too scooped in your model. The actual necklace panel looks more like a dent with squeeze to create a crease. Not sure really how to explain it.

21. Masasui

Masasui New Member

I kinda know what you mean. Such a tough geometry! I will still see about printing it and post pictures for a more detailed comparison.

22. Mara Jade's Father

I definitely want to see how it turns out.

23. Mara Jade's Father

Did you update your design? It has an update date later than your post above.

24. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been waiting for someone to cast them in Pewter for over a decade. Clean up, polishing and assembly I'd happily do myself.

25. Mara Jade's Father

If you ever do another update, you should add holes in the tab area for the jump ring.

26. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

@Mara Jade's Father

I started working on a 3D design.

Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 7.37.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 7.37.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-23 at 7.38.10 PM.png

There are a couple things I need to change still. I'm not sure if I'll try to model the fastener link, does anyone have a picture of that link while separated?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Mara Jade's Father likes this.
  27. Mara Jade's Father

What are your ultimate plans? Are you simply going to 3D print all panels or do a master and cast them. What is the planned material?

28. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

I'm not making one myself. I'll probably put the design on Shapeways for you, or anyone who wants one. It would be interesting to mold one in silicone and cast it in pewter or something similar.

29. Mara Jade's Father

Great, thanks. Please offer many material options as I would be interested to see what costs would be for various materials.

30. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Leia Necklace render1.png Leia Necklace render2.png Leia Necklace render3.png Leia Necklace render4.png

The design is pretty hard to get right, especially the groove at the top. What do you think? I'll add as many materials as it lets me.

31. Mara Jade's Father

32. Mara Jade's Father

How's going? My daughter is getting one of those Her Universe Leia dresses for Christmas and I thought the necklace would look cool with it.

[​IMG]

33. Mara Jade's Father

Bumping for my own selfish reasons.

34. jonjohn29

jonjohn29 New Member

$(KGrHqFHJF!E919o(pW5BPhSTQCS,w~~60_57.jpg this is one that i made.

35. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

36. Mara Jade's Father

37. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry I've been busy with other things but I finished the design.

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 1.43.23 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 1.43.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 1.43.56 PM.png

I haven't put it up for sale yet but the prices for one link are: Mods: I'm not trying to sell anything, these are just the prices for materials on Shapeways.

White Strong and Flexible: $2.32
    White Strong and Flexible Polished: $2.82
    Black Strong and Flexible: $3.32
    Metallic Plastic $2.84
    Polished Metallic Plastic: $3.34
    Frosted Ultra Detail: $7.56
    Frosted Extreme Detail: $9.39
    Raw Aluminum: $23.31
    Raw Silver: $44.67
    Polished Silver: $49.67
    Premium Silver: $65.54
    Raw Brass: $21.74
    Polished Brass: $33.20
    Raw Bronze: $21.74
    Polished Bronze: $33.20
    14k Gold: $490.16
    14k Rose Gold: $490.16
    14k White Gold: $490.16
    18k Gold: $686.88
    Platinum: $1383.80
    14k Gold Plated: $46.14
    14k Rose Gold Plated: $46.14
    14k White Gold Plated: $46.14
    18k Gold Plated: $46.14
    Rhodium Plated: $46.14

My model did not pass the automatic checks for any of the steel options, I would have to thicken it. For reference, the price it estimated for steel options, (Stainless steel, matte gold steel, matte bronze steel, polished bronze steel, polished gold steel, polished nickel steel, matte black steel, polished grey steel) ranged from $9 to $14.

I haven't designed the clasping link yet. Apparently the new aluminum material (https://www.shapeways.com/materials/aluminum?li=nav) is good for light, strong, and interlocking parts, so that may be a good option.

38. Mara Jade's Father

Looks great.

I was excited about seeing the aluminum material released however it is very flat and grainy. I have no idea if it possible to shine up and if so, how difficult it would be to do so.

Price wise, the polished nickel steel seems like you could get the right look at a decent price. Or as an economy version, polished metallic plastic with alclad paint.

39. Mara Jade's Father

Let me know when you do.

40. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

zv288bot and Mara Jade's Father like this.
  41. Mara Jade's Father

Thanks a lot. Looks great.

i was going to order some plastic panels. My original thought was to get a smooth polished surface. However as I look at images of the real necklace, I notice that there appears to be some grainy look to the metal. So now I am thinking I should go with something simple like a strong flexible plastic as the grain would be similar. Thoughts?

42. Bogleo

Bogleo Well-Known Member

I don't think the grain of the plastic would quite match the texture of the real necklace.

One idea I had was to order one panel in whatever material, polished or not, then smooth it by sanding/primer/spot putty. Next spray it with a textured spray paint that's close, maybe hammered. You could then mold it and cold cast with aluminum powder, and polish the casts enough to have a metallic shine, but not enough to get rid of the hammered texture.

43. Mara Jade's Father

Any chance that you might try to create the two part closure piece?

The reason I ask is that i have been struggling with how I want t go about a replica. Right now I have considered just buying polished plastic and just spray painting it or getting someone to give it a Alclad paint job. However you did such a great job with the panels that if you did a closure piece, I may consider buying the panels in raw silver. Granted that it would be closer to $700 instead of the $40 plastic version. Not sure if I am willing to commit to that cost or not but like I said, it is a consideration.

Additionally as you mentioned, buying a single panel and casting might be a much cheaper option however molding is not something I have had much luck with.

44. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So cool. Would love to see the process of completing one of these before jumping into it.

45. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

I would be interested in a close-as-accurate-as-possible "economy version" when available

46. Mara Jade's Father

Bump for my own selfish reasons.

47. Mara Jade's Father

I finally broke down and bought 14 panels. It took advantage of free shipping deal and the later delivery date for the extra discount. Should have them at the end of the month.

I got them in white polished plastic. I may try to cut a panel in half for fastening.

I would really like to get them painted with Alclad but I do not have an airbrush nor do I plan on getting one. I will probably just try to get the best results i can from a rattle can.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  48. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Best rattle can chrome IMO is Duplicolor but it pretty much never cures so be careful when handling it, it is a serious fingerprint magnet :(

49. Mara Jade's Father

Got the panels from Shapeway today. think they look great.

IMG_2874.jpg

There is a slight texture but the real necklace has a slight texture as well so I am not going to try to remove it.

Still have not decided about modifying a panel for a fastener or how I am going to go about painting.

DS Operative likes this.
  50. Son of Skywalker

They look good! Please keep us posted on your progress :thumbsup