Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Zora Armor Build (WIP)

Mintod

Hello everybody!
About a month a go i decided to start working a new project, after finishing my Daft punk costumes with my friend.
Daft punk.jpg
I brainstormed for a while, trying to decide what i was going to build, until it finally hit me. I'm a huge fan of the Legend of Zelda games, and after looking through some of Links armors/outfits i decided to tackle the Zora Armor. Hope you guys enjoy! Im gonna try to post pictures as i go, and try to update it as much as possible.
I'm always looking for feedback too, as i'm very new at prop making. As a junior in high school, money is tight, so i make do with what i can purchase. :p
So please! Leave feedback, tips and tricks, and criticism. All will be welcome!
Thanks guys!
Mintod

Hey guys, i'm gonna add my progress now.
First off i have built the base helmet out of Pepakura. I haven't had the chance to harden it yet, because i need to go purchase some more fiberglass cloth.
I think it came out well for the base, i cant seem to identify many warps, or big bends in the helmet, so i'm happy with that.
photo 4.JPG
I've been using Jindrax's build as reference, and inspiration. Check his stuff out, it is awesome!
After realizing that i wouldn't have nearly enough materials (and time) to hand craft each individual shell of Links chain-mail, i decided to use actual mussel shells. I spray painted one Silver to see how it would look.
photo 3.JPG
Terrible picture, but you can still see the base details of the mussel shell underneath, so i decided i'm gonna go with this. Now i just need to get down to the beach sometime and collect em. Sadly its still cold here in Maine, so that's holding me up a bit. :p
Next update will be on my shield and sword progress.
Peace!
Mintod

Allright, Ive been working on my shield and sword for the past week or so too!
I decided to make the classic Master Sword, and i'm building it all out of wood. I'm using Happy Atoms channel to help me with this.
So far i just have the wood pieces glued together. Its ready to get taken to the lathe, and i'm just waiting on when i can use my uncle's.

photo 1.JPG
My shield i also was making out of Happy Atoms video. Its a mix between Links wooden shield and the Hylian Shield.
I decided to cut out each individual piece to make it pop out on the front of the shield, and gave some of them a quick coat of spray-paint just so i could visualize it better.
I plan on staining the base shield a darker color, and probably using bondo to smooth the pieces out on top, and give them a classier look.
photo 2.JPG
Yes i know, the silver paint looks like absolute garbage, so i'm gonna be buying a new can of that.
And that is all i have done so far! I hope to get use of the lathe soon so i can carve out the handle of the Master Sword and get working on that.
I am not quite sure how to start the actual costume part of the Zora Armor, so i will probably be putting that off for a while. Once i get fabric though, i will dive right into sewing and designing.
Thanks guys! Leave me some feedback below!
Mintod

Last edited:
Looking pretty good so far. I don't have any experience with wood but wouldn't you bve better off hitting those pieces witha coat or two of primer? I always really liked the Zora armor design. looking forward to seeing this finished.

Thanks Hazmat! That sounds like much a better idea!
Probably am gonna do that part today, and hopefully go out to home depot or something to get some stain for the base shield, and buy my fiberglass cloth so i can get started on hardening the helmet.
Mintod

Hey Everybody! Sorry i haven't been able to update recently, i have had a pretty busy couple of weeks.
So far i have hardened my helmet with fiberglass and plastic, and made some slow progress on my shield. I still haven't been able to find any stain for the base, so i have painted and glossed the pieces on top. No real progress on the sword either. Now i'm gonna plan on starting my actual costume, just need to find a good fabric, and somewhere cheap to buy it. :p
If anybody out there has any ideas on where to get cheap fabric in the North East, i'm all ears. :p
Pics coming real soon!
Mintod

Hey guys, sorry i haven't been able to update or anything. My family is in the process of selling our house, so messes being made (like using bondo, or pretty much anything costume making related) are not welcome. :p
But i managed to get a little bit of bondo on the helmet, and did a tiny bit of sanding just so it didn't look terrrrrrible.
photo (2).JPG
So pretty much i'm not gonna be able to do much on this costume for a while since the whole moving thing.
This stream will go dead for a bit, but when we DO move, i will dive RIGHT back into it.
So thanks all, i will be reporting back sometime in the future.
Peace,
Mintod

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back