Legend of Zelda Prop help

DaJudgeinator

I am in the mood to begin making some props for the first time and I want to start with some simple video game props to give to my friend. So, since she likes Legend of Zelda, I want to make some iconic items from the game: The bomb from Wind Waker, the Bottle with a fairy inside, some rupees and possibly a heart. But I need help on what would be the logical process in making, so if you don't mind helping me out with any tricks, tricks, or criticizisms about this...
First comes the Bomb
Bomb_(The_Wind_Waker).png

So far I am thinking of buying the 4in. version of the Styrofoam ball:
styroball.jpg

Then for the top, one of these styrofoam cones and cut the till I get the proper shape:
119367-2-1.jpg

I am thinking of covering the entire thing in crayola blue modeling clay:
main-205.jpg

Lastly comes the sanding and painting, with a bit of rope as the fuse on top
....so what do you guys think?

I think another good route for the bomb itself is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a plastic ball that goes around light on a ceiling fan or something of that nature.

That's my opinion.

They are about $7 and would probably be quicker and easier to work with than styrofoam.

I have always wanted a sheild prop and sword prop from the SNES verision. But I think it's kind of cool to have a cartoony version of these.

I used a much smaller styrofoam ball for the bottle fairy and a Hobby Lobby paper mache ball for the bomb. Then used a wood napkin ring from the same store as the thing on top with a large piece of string.

Ok, I changed a bit with my planned props.... and am now using this:
3057195728_47b1c7da4d.jpg

with a basic red cup that's cut up as the top of the bomb. It looks good mocked up, but now I have a problem: how do I paint it?! I tried white plastic paint and it does not really stick to the red cup, and it barely sticks to the coke bottle. Testing it, I layed down a few coats to even get a proper white to stick down, but when I laid on some blue paint it began to melt right through the white paint and the red plastic! Help!

ah gotcha....will sand the bottle (btw dbalschi, yes that is a label that I have taken off, it is a bare bottle)...sorry for the basic questions but I have no modeling experience nor building experience, other than with LEGO's lol

If you have no experience, I'll make an addendum. Sand it with 320 grit sandpaper, prime it, then sand that with finer and finer grits until it's smooth, then paint it. Also, you might want to consider filling the bottle with something so that it doesn't get crushed.

what a great idea Ive always loved the SNES game and i wouldn't mind having some Zelda prop laying around the house, thanks for the idea

Well, this is the finished product....and though it is very rough around the edges (literally) but I must say it was fun to make. I found a nice way around my paint problem by just using house paint and dipping the necessary parts in it all the way to completely cover it w/o damaging the plastic. Of course there was some bubbling and a lack of complete coverage, but it worked out quite nicely, and dried overnight without the tackyness. I also may have gone a tad overboard with the glue gun, but man that is fun to use lol. Please critique or add any tips that you think would have streamlined the process a bit more.
mail

Dinjin: that's BRILLIANT! But the Michaels nearby does not sell any sort of corked top glassware, so for now I cannot do that (but is near the top of my list!)

As a follow up, this is the other prop I made, a rupee lollipop that I had to make my own mold and everything else to make it. That was a very fun project and only took 20mins total!
mail

When I made the fairy in bottle for my Link, I found a jar I really liked, but could not find a cork in the right size...so I made my own. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a big stack of cork coasters, glued them all together and then went at it with a dremel and belt sander, slowly grinding away until the cork fit in the bottle.

lrg-1584-pictars_007.jpg

And the bottle on my belt, after misplacing the cork about half way through Dragon*Con 2010
76555_662680835613_48204510_36925679_6129934_n.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back