Legacy Falcon Minimalist Customization

Not Meee

Jr Member
I tried doing this post and got it obliterated... so I have made it condenced due to time.

Here is some pictures to show my external touch ups to make it visually pleasing without making it looked touched by Disney. If you like Galaxy Run, then this concept is not for you. I am more into realism, not stuck in Dagobah for 30 years looks.

2021-09-27-13-11-00.jpg

20210926-082232-1.jpg

The above was done with white board pen. In fact the grey shadowing on the side panels are done with water based acrylic daubed with ear bud. So everything done can be removed with water and alcohol. These images are with early touch ups of panel eges. Not all panels get highlighted, to break up how things look under different lighting and angles. Most custom paints are way too heavy, and look the same under different angles. Realizm under distances and lighting is what I planned for under my highlighting techneque.
Just placing this in here, as a different look and take on customizing, away from Hollywood colorization and CGI.

Crossing fingers this goes... if not I will just move on, as if I never stopped here.

My mods will be further, with a custom lighted panel at the cockpit exit. Including lights along the entrance of the doorway. The light up kits have way too many flashing lights and way too bright.

The guns will be replaced with a Hero version from 308bits. The nose piece with the missles will be redone without missles. The dish will be replaced with a custom 77mm dish by 308bits. The engine flaps will have proper hydraulic arms and towers by 308bits. The front boxes will also be replaced with proper versions by 308bits. Nothing else done to the bottom, as it is hardly seen in view. The engine will be tinted 15% with a custom grey grill. I will also use brown shoe polish to brown up the white padded cushions to match the decals. The only missle left will be under the nose. Though I could cover it.

All the replaced parts will be kept for returning to stock. Other than the 3D components that are to be permanently set in place.

Because I had issues with my intital post and had limited time to retype and format, I started off with intial mods with highlighting with white board black fine point marker.

Here is what the results look like at this time. I will go and use a moistened ear bud to pickup some overly highlighted build up areas. Also will make another batch of grey wash water based acrylic to finish up the inner mandibles and rear side panels at the engine side. I used these mods to allow for light and distance visual changes, since light is always changing from sun light to lamp light and how one sites on the couch when watching tv.
20211204_100811-1.jpg

20211204_101026-1.jpg

20211204_101011-1.jpg

20211204_101034-1.jpg

I had not mentioned what lighting effects will be done. So this is my plan... I will update the engine blue lights to produce 2 effects. White with bluish halo for warp speed and a wee brighter blue for crusing.

As for cockpit nothing I have found really fits for a Lucas Special Edition "A New Hope" Falcon. I was thinking a V1 bulkhead from a Deagostini kit 1, but it was not right after further looking. The bulkhead on the Legacy BMF is plain and needs something done. After so many attempts at finding decals that I could work with, I will make a composite of the best sections and redraw to proper size for my use. It won't be exact in detail, as if down to a micron. But it will look more correct than any decal I have come across, as I will be using photos of both film and production to access layout and other details. A bit of a mix of SE and old original. It will be less busy but a nice touch over all the light up kit options.

I will try using clear frosted opaque labels to create a light-up bulk head. Probably sandwich a few to keep lighting from bleading, for sharp square buttons. If the bulk head works out nicely, I will attempt the command console forward facing panel. Most all the instrument lights facing the seats are not visible, though I may add a few lights for movie sake, like the flashing red near Chewie.

Interior lights may be added, as I have a few micro switches, for automatic light up when a top cover is removed.

Not sure about running and warning lights since the Falcon never used them... meaning trying to be stealthy or caught n tractor beams.

Depending on what I think of, I could run some fiber optic through the blaster barrels for light to pass through. It would take some hollowing out and integrating leds within the body of the blaster as well. It would also take running fine wire on each side of the blaster arm to pass through the holding pin. It would be best to mold the items than to cut and fill. So maybe later on after completing I may have at a try to mold a blaster with light up barrels. If it works out, the blaster arm can be easily molded with wire connections in place.

As for filling the button and missle holes at the nose. I plan on using MEK to melt down shaved off original plastic behind the holes, and make into a fast cure putty to fill in. I dont like painting, patched areas by hand. So layering in with liquid paste like plastic should get things close enough for a proper filling.

Here is a composite bulkhead layout from 3 differently Falcons. Some details were removed to be replaced, and some have been modified slightly.
Screenshot_2021-12-05-07-55-41-1.png

It is my template that will be further re-adjusted for colour and addtional work.

After reading through random sites, I found the round instrument at the top left of the doorway on the bulkhead, was of domed glass. It is possible there is reflections from studio lighting and other instruments making the image hard to figure out. So with that, I will guestimate that the viewing screen is some thing like a 3D cube with a small grid sceen near center with a filled pointer of some sort near the lower left corner. Because of the dome, all external lights will show as a distortion, thus giving an impression there are curved lines and other lights inside, that is shown as surface ghosting. Since the imagery of such a small area is impossible to recreate with full detail. Making simple geometric shapes that I have figured out, will suffice. The red and blues seen on the structure is not part of the image inteneded. I figure simple white lines, with black back ground like a CRT or Oscope. There appears some text or numbers across the bottom, parallel with the bottom of the cube. It would be coordinate data, as any other info visually cannot be deturmined without it.

Thats my catch on my design change. Being that one wee component of the many to be completed with my custom decal.

I don’t think the circular greebly on the cockpit backwall was domed in any of the films, though it obviously changed from movie to movie. It looks quite flat in every photo I’ve seen.

I don’t think the circular greebly on the cockpit backwall was domed in any of the films, though it obviously changed from movie to movie. It looks quite flat in every photo I’ve seen.
Thanks for the reply and your info. I didn't bother with keeping the link to studio changes through out each film. The pictures and writers explaination to show that the there was a domed glass lens was set behind the facia. The picture of the cabin facing towards the rear left corner, had a hole with inset display. Back in the day with bar room seated video tabled and some games had glass over the game its self, to allow light reflected on to the protective glass, seen best when viewed at angles by bystanders, in darkened areas.

All the images are rear facing to see actors seated at upward angles. Few shots are of the area in question. Yet every shot I have peeked at from the escape from Tatoine to being caught in the tractor beam, has odd clouding which cannot be done with 70s tech, unlike todays displays ability to make fine details. It's my opinion, with the information found and by my own curiousity with the odd bit of detail with the display set in the round hole.

Every builder has their own style and eye for detail. To me nobody makes a decal that resembles what is seen in the original A New Hope, so thus my odd quest.

Well. It's an interesting theory. I have seen quite a few photos of the Falcon cockpits, since I spent some time modelling it myself. I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's one all-powerful, I mean, that makes me believe that there was a domed lens behind the display greebly on the starboard cockpit backwall. But if you have other photos that show this I'd be really interested to see them!

Hi, I understand your questioning. Like I explained earlier, I did not bother with keeping links, when I searched. Since the photos were in black and white, I did not bother to copy them, just took note that the writer had plenty of materials for reference, both by imagery and by creators on the set. Out side of that bit of information I had brought up, he had photos of the front of the instrument panel. Where the squarish display had been removed, and it showed a number of 2" round holes that were hidden by the panel. I figured by knowing what heat does to plastics, they kept thst panel off until needed for the shoot. He had questioned on why it was done that way, on his own curiosity.

If I should stumble on it again, I will post it... not sure when and if I will find it again, as I had gone through a number of threads and links, just to get more confused as to why definitive models are not so definitive. I jest with sarcasm, in my last comment. I am sure you can agree on the level of accuracy being some what of a challenge. Not that I to reproduce 100% of the over all look, just wanted something ball park, I sure you can see my point on basic geometrical shapes done in white lines. For me, I am a bit familiar with reflections on glass, cuved glass reflecting on the back side of a glass panel will make ghosted lines curved, which does show in paused frame. In fact both parallel lines have curved ghosted images in opposite directions and are of wider thickness than the lines they represent. Sort of making a fish eye photo, for big nosed animal pictures. I think I can post a frozen frame of what I see, though some will need a keen eye to see some of my points more valid than pure assumption.

Sounds a bit like my 3Dsf.info cockpit page:

Anyway. As they say in America, you do you! If you want to make a navigation display detail that isn't flat, it's your model. But I have seen no evidence that it was anything other than flat in all the movies, for what it's worth.

Here is an image I saved, mostly because it was never use in the film, and redone soon after, because Alec was not in pose, at the time of picture was taken. Its the clearest shot I have, showing the hole created a shadow at the lowest edge of the display. If the display was not curved, there would not be shadow. Also this was a well light set for promo photography, note how much information (noise) is in the reflection of the display.

Screenshot_2021-12-05-18-33-23.png

After looking at a cleaned up image for the SE version, I found a simple way to reproduce the image, as the clip below shows a box with a square cutout window to allow a small 3 sided pyramid reflector and light souce to give depth in image. Its possible a crystal was used to create colours. Thus the ghosted imagery. The trick is proper focal distance to allow the beams of light to shine on the box cutout walls. It seems like a far stretch but two boxes side by side, with one half the size of the other, a reflector having a light souce could give insight. Just look how much brighter the cutout is, as a light source being used in that area would be projected to the bigger box, which is behind the port.

Screenshot_2021-12-03-20-29-27-1.png

Sorry, man. It was a flat piece of material with lines drawn on on a layer behind it, backlit.

1638753097326.png

Last edited:
Ah, ok... it took me a bit of time to go through all your details on your link. Yes that is the page! Great work... though I had it confused with another link which would be a great suplement to yours. It covers external design, and props, mostly. Done some what in your style. Do you have many other write ups? Jesting again... as if all the online informatives are by you.

No that puts my theories to rest. Thanks! I doubt trying to do such detail will come out well on my endeavor, will keep a basic geometical design, to look similar, at least closer than the other decals I have seen.

Thanks!

This is still under work... just to keep simple. For some reason my edits are not updating, no matter where I save, as if held in cache. Windows 10 has been a wee flakey with the systems SSD delays on storage fo the sake of booting to desktop in 3 seconds or less. HA!

Believe me there is more done as respect to the original, without being complex. My editor is basic, as I am just doing this for a quick method for my own means. Figuring the scale will hide a lot of detail when printed. Thus the single lines, mostly done in wide pattern, as I want to show arcs not an X. I have closed up the arcs to be more within the box, but once I remove the bulk head and scale it to fit proper, I can adjust more to my tastes. Not being too exact, just noticeable that is it not what you would normally see from other kits and upgrades. I will leave the pro stuff for the those to offer as a service.

2021-12-04 17.37.52-2-1.jpg

So you do know that the picture above has a lot of renditions of ESB-era details that didn't exist in ANH, right? Anyway - good luck with your project! :)

So you do know that the picture above has a lot of renditions of ESB-era details that didn't exist in ANH, right? Anyway - good luck with your project! :)
Yes, I know, but am making a generalist representation. Some of the bits are to match the existing decals on other panels, being that my recreation tools are basic lines and fill in. To copy any higher detailed work and paste would be a hodgepodge of sorts. When installed and lights are active, it will give off a more proper representation than what is available. Its a give or take thing. If I were all gung ho about prefection, this toy would not be on my list to do such work, as there are plenty of kits better suited.

I guess I can do a before and after with basic bits that I will be changing. Unfortunately I did not bother with the toy, with a before picture of it hanging, untouched. The toy was very bland once hung in place with lighting. Details were a bit washed. So some may say it needs more work, but for me its dramatic enough to stop before it gets too high contrast.

Basically its a 2 meter visual, that can be looked at up close. With cockpit a bit dark the added lighting should be noticable, but not a party going on so to speak. The wee changes to the blasters and dish with those of proper size in respect to the ship size, should help balance. The over sized cockpit, may distract, but is obvious for allowing a full sized cockpit that holds toy figures and allows for more detail to be seen from its viewing location. Not many are willing to place a 5 footer over their telly, to get a good look at time to time while seated. This toy brings enough visually to entertain ones mind when looking at it. I could as a joke, place a nicely sized fake magnifying glass just right in perpective view to show the cockpit within the lens area, as if a 3D representation of an advert page. Ha! Then nobody would think of complaining about a disproportionate cockpit.

The toy is a mix of old original, SE and the Strikes Back movies. I prefer the old for touching up the cockpit. Just because for originality, and less lights to distract with. God forbid, I do an Alien, Mother computer set part of the cockpit. But thats how I feel with some of the advanced mods one can take on with any cockpit endeavor.

Like my title states minimalist approch, on bringing out noticeable details.

Thanks again for your input and details. Gave good insight to how much i over thought it. I had originally made an attempt that was like the image you added. Just ran off with mixed sort of technicalities, rather than simple lines and out of focus angled shots.

I have found a main issue with why editing was so difficult. My composite images had too much information for the basic editor. I trimmed the work image down to a smaller size, soon after realizing from another edit. My fine lines are easier to create, now. Also retension of fine details are kept with each save, without a light hazing, from original images.

Here is what I have setup for top left panel, and will redo completely with proper image sizing before my edits. It's not a proof, as it is my last edit, before noticing image data being too great for program used.

Not sure if I will redo the rest of the panels other than colours and black levels. It will be trial and error with lighting, as this is my first attempt with small scale lighting.

May have to mushroom and do V-cut notched side of the fiber optics on the top area, where I had redone, to bring out all the details. Being each light is so close, the fiber optics would not fit side by side. Much easier to notch than to squeeze.

Screenshot_2021-12-07-07-33-38.png

I forgot about another issue... Since I am replacing the quad canons with proper sized ones, the housing box will need to be resized appropriately. I will section the sides after sanding down the sides smooth for adding greebles. To allow properly secure, like original mounting. The bottom half of the cut side will be mounted to the top plate, once the top half is removed.

Here is the top and bottom housing, as they are both the same component.
s-l1600 (5)-1.jpg

Making one wee update... ordered all my parts, now that AWS has a big back log of shipping and what not to be done. I probably won't get much started until next year as planned. I spent an extra $50 on orignal parts for restoring back to original, for whoever ends up owning it down the line.

I am laying out bits here and there on the bulkhead decal. Some bits are high resolution and others are not so. Will clean up the lines and such for the proof print which will have the low res and high res stuff sorted out cleanly.

The bottom grey panels will be redone, and the top left panel which started a lot of question on my part, will be redone as for sizing adjustments and

This is an example of what my scratch pad looks like, as there are many other things being changed as I go. Its about 50% done with layout. Then cleanup of some line patterns and colours before I do the proof sheet.

Final.png

Here are the before shots of the areas I will upgrade bits that of The Empire Strikes Back, Falcon. First picture is the mandible head lights, missles and dish. Those will bring back some key areas to make the visual better. The dual head lights will be changed to single. The missiles holes filled in. Though under designer plans for the 5 footer, the outer holes could be made into head lights. While I am there with lighting. An odd tid-bit... just at the top tips above the head lights of the mandibles, a red parking light was shown on some early pre filming of 32" models. Which brings in to play the macoroni pipe near the right of top quad canon, and the protruding side plates at the tips of the mandibles. Which will be part of the head light changes.

20211209_115542_Burst01.jpg

The second image is the quad canon and its gun box. I forgot to clean up after applying dry erase marker for highlights and smudges. Its the only thing I use to allow gradual fade under lighting, thus some of it does not show well photographed with high brightness, but that is what should happen, and allow some contrast blending, under distant observation. On the up side of the marker, is that if I want to change it, a damp cloth is all that is needed.

Note the formed greeble of a "Y"... I will try an make a proper bridge version to connect the box greebles to the top of the canon box, along with the macaroni pipe that is missing. All other greebles are nots as sharply formed but exist. I will try building them up, as I see the highlighting becoming a bit crowded.

20211209_115439_Burst01.jpg

The last image is the box. Both boxes will ve replaced with the proper box for the 32" Falcon. Note the blast mark I had though was part of the SE varient pf A New Hope. I will wipe it off and grey the front panel. Problem is which one, the grey keeps moving from one panel to the next. Ha!

20211209_115825.jpg

If I like the changes, after completing, I will do the engine. It's the area I have no extra parts to fall back on. So that will be more or less a permanent change, with the hydraulic actuator arms for the thrust flaps and towers.

I did get one packet of mini LEDs, but all I needed was for a few red lights and some interesting colour changes on the panels. The rest are part of having to wait it out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back