Lawgiver Holster - Kydex and leather and a whole lotta luck....

I won't lay claim to this method as I've basically followed the footsteps of a friend - Tvayumat - who made some awesome holsters using this approach :- but for the record here's my attempt at forming my own holster out of kydex.

The first step was to rough out a paper template for the holster using the various reference photos that are out there and comparing those against the Lawgiver I want to build the holster for - a Steve Rogers/Tangoed Fett LG kit.

Taking extra care to mark where the raised portions are in the spine to protect the fore sight and range finder.

I bought an A3 sized sheet of 2mm Kydex but the template in the end is just a little bit over A4..still good to have more than you need than to have less.

The next step was to build the wooden former/buck with some old 2x4 I had laying around.

Taking particular care also to sand/round off the top horizontal edges to give it a more oval top as per the movie holster otherwise the holster will be too 'boxy' and you'll end up with your Lawgiver rattling around instead of fitting nice and snug as it should do.

finally the last step was to handsculpt the aforementioned bumps for the sights. I've used bog standard air drying clay for that.

Then after slowly and methodically heat forming the kydex around the buck with a heat gun and trimming off the excess with a dremel as per my template I ended up with this lovely shell.

I then cut an end cap and basically hot glued it in (no photos of this stage sorry I got carried away)

And finally today I took some scrap leather I had laying around (approx 1mm thick) and some Evo Stick sontact cement and covered the exterior leather side out and the interior leather side in/suede side out.

The lawgiver fits reaaaaaaally snug and smooth now :D - Only the strapping left to do....only...hmmmm

:cool

Last edited:
Awww yeah, that's the stuff.

You know daddy likes a snug fit for his plasticy plunge.

Looks great!

And yeah, this method is easily adapted to any shape of pistol with an LG style forward magazine. If you end up doing that, Uridium, I'd love to see it!

Very nice job on the leather wrap. Looks great. What you did (and myself) was actually more difficult than what the movie prop builders did. Pictures show that some or all of the bulges and the recess on the hip side were glassed into place as add on pieces and fairing any seams to render them invisible from the outside. After I built mine I realized that is how they made such sharp bulges without using a female mold. If I ever made another one I'd probably use that method but I'm pleased enough with mine to keep it like it is. The outside leather looks very cool.:)

Yeah, we figured out after the SDCC pictures that the "bulges" on the top of the spine were separate pieces added on.

I'm planning on approaching that method once I get my final Lawgiver in hand, and knowing Baron, so will he :D

Yeah, we figured out after the SDCC pictures that the "bulges" on the top of the spine were separate pieces added on.

I'm planning on approaching that method once I get my final Lawgiver in hand, and knowing Baron, so will he :D

Don't recall what pic I saw it on but the inside recess for the left side of the Lawgiver also showed the tell tale sign of woven fiberglass around that piece as well, so if you are particular, you may want to add that to your plans too.;)

oops forgot to update this!

FINISHED!

IMG_3055_zpsa0f80770.jpg

Not shown in this pic is the top belt loop, I used a strip of 3mm thick black leather secured to a small loop of webbing from the buckle top.

Sits nice and firm on the thigh without any additional strapping or base...(excuse my mince)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah no worries! sorry for the cruddy phone phot but it does the job.

I used 5mm nickel chicago screws to affix the webbing to the holster. The suede lining goes on after the screws are affixed so the screw heads don't scratch the hell out of your Lawgiver

IMG_3308.JPG

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back