Laser-carved Dredd 3D badge -- work in progress, need advice on finishing wood

horseflesh

I'm working on a replica of the Judge badge from the Dredd 3D (2012). I decided to post here instead of the Dredd subforum because I'm more looking for help right now than showing off. :)

The badge was made with a laser cutter. Everywhere the laser touches leaves some texture, and in the deepest places where the laser has removed the most material, there is a really rough sandy texture. The un-burned high points still have wood grain to conceal.

I would like to find the best way to finish laser-carved wood to produce a smooth surface, suitable for painting or making a mold.

Here's my work-in-progress version. This is actually carved from MDF but I think basswood is a better material, as it ablates more easily and produces less gooey residue. This particular piece was sealed with acrylic size, then primed with gesso. I know there has to be a better technique. Any ideas?

badge.png

(bigger image link)

Here's a closeup of carved and (poorly) primed basswood. You can see there is a lot of texture and grain to conceal.

2018-01-02 11_57_32-Photo - Google Photos.png

And this is what it looks like with a base coat. No hiding that this is wood... Not yet.

2018-01-02 12_02_17-Photo - Google Photos.png

Many thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back