Large Format Cardstock: Wherefore art thou!?

JimSocks

Hello all!

I am looking to dive into some pepakura projects- in kind of a unique way. I have an Epilog 40w laser engraver I would like to use for cutting out my pieces (I've already formatted the files as vectors and run some excellent test cuts- it really is marvelous to use for this purpose!)

My worked size is 24x18 inches, and I would like to use Cardstock that size, as it lets me fit larger parts and more parts per sheet. Larger Cardstock that I can cut down to 24x18" is just fine too!

Here's the problem: I can't find anyone selling stiff enough Cardstock that size! I bought "20x26 111 lb cover" from The Papermill Store and I am very disappointed- it seems nowhere near stiff enough for pepakura! It feels exactly the same stiffness as regular old photo paper. $65 down the tube until I can return it... Nevertheless, I am undiscouraged!

And so I look to you, RPF. Have you anyone who might know of a supplier selling such a product!?

Bump!

Searching like a madman and I am really hoping somebody here might have intel on this kind of thing. It looks bleak...

Well I have a big stack of exactly that but I have no idea where it came from. But it does exist! You might try an art supply store (there are tablets of 18x24 paper but I'm not sure how thick they come; at least quite a bit thicker than normal paper though). Mine is glossy on one side so my best guess is it's for signage. Try a sign supply store!

Have you tried looking at posterboard? That comes in 22 x 28, I think. Seen some negative reviews on Amazon, so you'd best check out the individual sheet section at your local craft store.

An art supply store may have what you need. I've found cardstock at the local Dick Blick store. You could try checking one out that may be near you.

http://www.dickblick.com/

Mat board or tag board could be another option.

Hey thanks so much guys! I checked out the DickBlick site and saw "Bristol board" and "Illustration board" but I'd probably be best off walking into a physical store to feel the product (especially having been burned by this current stack). I fly out on a mission tomorrow but I'll see if I can swing by an arts store while on the road!

By the way- I read somewhere on RPF that the best weight paper for Pepakura was between 200gsm and 350gsm. This paper I have here claims to be 300gsm... But it just feels too flimsy- like regular photo paper. How can that be unless they are lying about its specs?

Went to a nearby Michael's craft store and found the perfect stuff! Is a 30 sheet pad of 140lb watercolor paper that's textured on one side and smooth on the other! I think it was $15 so $2 a sheet.

I am laser cutting a sheet now as a test but it's looking like this is going to rule for large pep projects (it cuts, perforates fold lines, and burns in the flap numbers perfectly!). The best is I have the cuts set juuuust right so they stay attached to the sheet. This way I can pop them out as needed to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the help you guys! I am looking forward to my first pep costume build (war machine!) and this looks like it's going to not only be very acurate- but a big time saver to boot!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back