Disney era live action Lightsabers getting large?

guabe

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First of all, this is totaly subjective and my own perosnal opinion.

I have been a fan of lightsabers since the original trilogy, however prequel era sabers are my favorite. In the first move (ANH) the lightsabers had motors in them to make a rod (with reflective paper) spin and reflect light, so it was ideal to have a hilt that could house it. I believe this is part of the reason they went with the graflex and such. Saber sizes were in the line of 11 to 11.5 inches long and about 1.5" thick
Lightsaber_853fb596.jpeg

Eventually post processing was better at lighting the saber so by the next films the rotor mechanism was no longer needed. Thus sabers didnt need to be thick (large). for example Luke's ROTJ saber.

j2F9N.jpg

When the prequels came along all was going to be done in post so Sabers became more stylized, slimmer and smaller (except for Maul's hehe). This is why I love prequel era sabers. All the sabers used in the films were non functional, some had metal rods for the choreographs but non had electronics (please correct me if im wrong here).
Duel2.jpgtumblr_podms06j5c1te20ggo1_1280.jpgPDVD_095.JPGPDVD_094.JPGmaxresdefault.jpg

One saber that makes me think that the hilts should be more like the prequel era is the Anakin Episode 2 hilt. When you look at this, it is essentially a light side Vader MPP. It is a lot smaller than the normal MPP; granted this might be because Hayden has smaller hands than Prowse. But still Prequel era hilt sizes are closer to the original Ralph Mcqaurrie concept art.
Untitled 7.jpg
Saber sizes in the prequel era were more varied in size but let say the average hilt size was between 10 to 11 inches long and about 1.375" thick

Then comes the Disney Era. In this period both the Sequel trilogy and the Live action series have started using props with lights in them, this is great for lighting effect purposes in scenes. Like them or not it certainly makes more sense that the light the sabers emmit can be reflected in the characters and such.
SQ01.jpg
However I think this comes with a price, a larger hilt. You can clearly see how much larger Kylo and Rey's hilts are compared to Luke's hilt. Saber sizes in this trilogy seem to be more like 11.5 to 12 inches long and over 1.5" thick

Untitled 6.jpg
Recently with the Disney+ shows Im seing the same trend, sabers like Ahsoka's and the Darksaber they also make use of leds on the props making them a bit on the large side. However none of these bother me because these are all unique style sabers. My gripe come with the Order 66 flashback scenes. All of these scenes from etiher the Mandalorian, Book of Boba and Kenobi series show larger than normal prequel era sabers. These look more like over 11 long and between 1.375 and 1.5 inches thick. Im almost certain the size has to do with the incorporation of the illuminated blades.
the-book-of-boba-fett-the-hardcover-edition-ive-finished-a-v0-1qnf9087f7h81.jpg1688498115367.jpg KBeq.jpg

I know, I am probably exagerating a bit here, but well its something my OCD can't let go. I still love them anyways and cant wait to see the ones in the Ahsoka show.

Rey uses the Graflex for most of her story, which is already an enormous and uncomfortable hilt. Ben Solo / Kylo Ren's was designed for a big guy with large hands. Luke's is bijoux, as is Leia's.

The reality is that longer hilts are probably more realistic for actual combat. The stunt hilts in the prequels were all longer with chokes at the emitter for better spinning. The Rebels hilts are more standard size, and Jaro Tapal's is another hilt for a larger character.

I agree with you for the most part. I do not question the size of a saber based on larger characters or unique style sabers... what i do question is what I believe is a forced larger size due to practical limitations. In the end its all subjective, but i certainly want to know what you all think. Thanks

I would agree with the OP, I think the modern tech is informing the design philosophy of the hilts. As far as stunt hilts having different dimensions, none of the stunt hilts from the prequels were longer than their hero counterparts, just thinner and with modified choke points. The stunt sabers from the sequel era (and the D+ shows) and definitely longer and sometimes thicker than the hero/belt-hangers (here's looking at you, Obi-Wan Kenobi).

I'm a huge fan of the PT sabers, so in my "head-canon," that is the baseline. Don't really care for the Disney sabers.
That's my head canon too. In the OT sabers were limited by techology so they were larger. PT sabers were not limited as it was all going to be done in post so they were made idealized. ST sabers and LA (live action) are limited to modern tech once again.

However I do care about Disney sabers, just wish they were more like PT saber sizes. Should they use the 7/8" blades instead of 1"? That might make the sabers be thinner at least. Same goes for the blade effect, since they are using 1" blades the post processing has made the blade thicker too like in the Kenobi series.

And please Disney, do not use these on shows or movies, its prety cool to see in the parks though.
resize.jpg

My biggest complaint of this era of lightsabers is not so much the hilts but the over-reliance on LED blades. While being able to cast light on the actors is great, I miss the thinner blades of the past. Re-watching a prequel recently made me actually miss that era of lightsaber blade. They just looked and felt more elegant.

I'd prefer they keep the LED blades for close-ups and return to the old (heh!) CG blades. Not everything needs to be practical.

My biggest complaint of this era of lightsabers is not so much the hilts but the over-reliance on LED blades. While being able to cast light on the actors is great, I miss the thinner blades of the past. Re-watching a prequel recently made me actually miss that era of lightsaber blade. They just looked and felt more elegant.

I'd prefer they keep the LED blades for close-ups and return to the old (heh!) CG blades. Not everything needs to be practical.
This!!!!

I agree with this 100%. If they still need light they can always opt for a thinner blade like 7/8"s, but for heavy dueling they need to go back to metal or carbon fiber rods.

This is something I've noticed as well. The hilts are growing. Not that I don't mind it. But for the Prequels, the hilts should be slim. Or at least for Jedi stationed on Coruscant.

Another issue I just recently learned about is how blue light interacts with digital sensors, differently then with film. Which is one of the contributing factors with why the lightsabers look like garbage in the Obi-Wan show.

Also I don't care for what they've done with aura around the blade. They make it look like it's just an effect on the camera lens, as opposed to an actual component of the blade.

LED lighting and cameras that capture in Red, Green, and Blue are a whole can of worms compared to full spectrum lights of the past (Incandescent/metal halide) and celluloid.

Yeah, I really think they need to turn down the glow and go back to adding rotoscoping.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back