Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School Version 2 beginning pg17)

Re: Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School WIP)

The material he wears is generally rougher than most of the Sith. His outer tunic is almost identical to a Crusader’s surcoat. His inner tunic is pretty much a Renaissance Doublet. His hood and shawl are close to an archer’s mantle. His lightsaber is a cross-guard reminiscent to medieval swords and he holds it like a European martial artist rather than Asian. Even the outer tunic fabric is similar to Monk’s Cloth.

His entire shtick is European Knight to the standard Jedi Samurai.

.... Whew!.... Spent the day continuing to tweak, rework, and refine.... Ugh!... Still not done... Probably in another week I should be getting to completion.. Then off to molding... The more I look the more I see... Lol! The more mistakes that is ... Oh well... "Almost there... Almost there... It's a hit!... No just impact it on the surface!"... Thank you all for your continued support!... And yes, I'm planning to do a run when I'm finished... But that is a little down the road yet... I think I'm going to take the weekend off folks... May the 4th be with you!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The material he wears is generally rougher than most of the Sith. His outer tunic is almost identical to a Crusader’s surcoat. His inner tunic is pretty much a Renaissance Doublet. His hood and shawl are close to an archer’s mantle. His lightsaber is a cross-guard reminiscent to medieval swords and he holds it like a European martial artist rather than Asian. Even the outer tunic fabric is similar to Monk’s Cloth.

His entire shtick is European Knight to the standard Jedi Samurai.
... Any idea for what to use as the face gauze in the mask?... Your knowledge is much appreciated

Man, this is REALLY starting to look GOOD!!! Keep at it! Your skills are IMPRESSIVE, MOST IMPRESSIVE!!! I can hardly wait to see what the finished piece is going to look like!!! AWESOME STUFF SIR!!!(y)cool

... Any idea for what to use as the face gauze in the mask?... Your knowledge is much appreciated
Initially, I’d say black nylon stockings. It looks to be the go-to for masks of this nature. I have some good pictures of the material and will do some visual tests, but for now I’d say black nylons.

I'm blown away with your work ! There is so little information that has been either leaked or presented to the public , yet you have nailed it ! Please I would like to be on the first run you produce .

..... Wow!!... I'm so glad and humbled by your comments on my helmet build!.... Appreciate them all... I've recieved a few PMs about interest in a run... Please PM only if you are seriously interested in the first run. I'll respond with my a few basic details, you can decide from there.....I still have a lot of tedious work still to do. Next week after I feel I've taken it as far as I humanly can, I will post detail by detail shots of what I sculpted and my reference shots. Will what I produce be perfect? No it is a imperfect sculpt by a imperfect guy. But I hope it will be a worthy first attempt. I have very little to go on for the top and back of the overall helmet itself. So, it will be what it will be .... Here is an answer to a auxiliary question I was asked privately about the Helmet.

"How did you come up with your measurements for the build?

.... Let me start by saying, I was at C7. So I saw the actual helmet itself. Of course, I took detailed photos and video of the helmet, as many of you here also did. Secondly, I have a really, really good eye for measuring. So I also took down measurement notes while standing in front of Kylo. So far everything has measured out just right... I truly feel you will be happy with the size being near to screen accuracy ... Hope this info satisfies a few questions, Thank you all again!

..... Wow!!... I'm so glad and humbled by your comments on my helmet build!.... Appreciate them all... I've recieved a few PMs about interest in a run... Please PM only if you are seriously interested in the first run. I'll respond with my a few basic details, you can decide from there.....I still have a lot of tedious work still to do. Next week after I feel I've taken it as far as I humanly can, I will post detail by detail shots of what I sculpted and my reference shots. Will what I produce be perfect? No it is a imperfect sculpt by a imperfect guy. But I hope it will be a worthy first attempt. I have very little to go on for the top and back of the overall helmet itself. So, it will be what it will be .... Here is an answer to a auxiliary question I was asked privately about the Helmet.

.... Let me start by saying, I was at C7. So I saw the actual helmet itself. Of course, I took detailed photos and video of the helmet, as many of you here also did. Secondly, I have a really, really good eye for measuring. So I also took down measurement notes while standing in front of Kylo. So far everything has measured out just right... I truly feel you will be happy with the size being near to screen accuracy ... Hope this info satisfies a few questions, Thank you all again!

Slightly off topic, but since you've an eye for measurements, any guesses as to Kylo Ren's lightsaber handle height?

Slightly off topic, but since you've an eye for measurements, any guesses as to Kylo Ren's lightsaber handle height?

I did write down some quick measurements for it... 5" width from your widest points... Length, I wrote down as between 12-13" long... Hope this helps.

That is incredible work. PM forthcoming. As for your lightsaber measurements, wouldn't that make his hilt more of a broadsword than a ******* style? From the trailer it definitely looks like a one and a half hander. But unfortunately I never got a chance to see the actual prop due to those long lines.

That is incredible work. PM forthcoming. As for your lightsaber measurements, wouldn't that make his hilt more of a broadsword than a ******* style? From the trailer it definitely looks like a one and a half hander. But unfortunately I never got a chance to see the actual prop due to those long lines.

I agree with you, I think it is "around 12" long and around 1.5" wide, which would place i in the category of a hand-and-a-halfer (which makes sense, given thematically he looks so similar to a European knight, from blade length to outfit). So MasterEdi's analysis sort of confirms what I had assumed about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

With how little ferrance there is for this helmet it has turned out beautifully . Plus even if it turns out that it's not spot on to the movie version I love it . To me it looks identical to the concept art photos that were leaked and I love that look . I'll be happy either way .

With how little ferrance there is for this helmet it has turned out beautifully . Plus even if it turns out that it's not spot on to the movie version I love it . To me it looks identical to the concept art photos that were leaked and I love that look . I'll be happy either way .

lol!... I'm not done yet, wait till you see the update I'll post on Tuesday!... Thank you though, Homer!... I feel the front mask will be solid, I wish I had more to go on for the back but ... (Sigh)... Sadly, no more leaks to go by...:(

Maybe the new Vanity fair with the Star Wars Episode VII article will show some revealing images of the helmet :)

... Hope so!!!... This is a definite pickup for this week!... Of course, this is what I saw! But no helm! (Doh!)
image.jpg
Lol! O well... I'm just glad It's Adam Driver, not a big buff woman!:lol (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back