Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt In Progress

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by vistaVision, Sep 14, 2015.

1. vistaVision

vistaVision Well-Known Member

Have been working on this for awhile hoping additional images of the screen used helmet will become available. Unfortunately the only look at the shape and details of the top, sides and back of the helmet come from a couple of newly released toys and a Rubies helmet from Target. I feel it is time to finish this up, so I'll continue using the best reference available. Have a variety of adjustments to make to the face mask, but those can wait until the dome has been refined. Right now I'm just blocking in the dome itself, so more pictures to come later in the week as that progresses. By the weekend I should be finished with this rough sculpt, to the best of my limited abilities, and I'll make a waste mold and a few casts in resin. I can then clean up a casting to make a finished master, and from that, a hero mold. I am not a sculptor, I am much more comfortable with making models and working with hard materials that can be milled, drilled and sanded.

There have been several fantastic sculpts of this helmet already, and each have been an inspiration for me. The shape of this helmet and the geometry of the weird details seem to change almost daily. They don't, of course, but as I've been staring at the reference materials for weeks now, i find myself frequently spotting something "new" or different in how I have interpreted the shapes. That is somewhat frustrating! Like any project, one must find a moment to stop obsessing and move on, and I'm getting close to that moment!

There has been a lot of conjecture regarding the actual size of the Kylo Ren helmet. There's no doubt that the original is large. This one is slightly smaller, just slightly, maybe 10% smaller (just a guess) than the currently available Rubies/Target helmet. I did take a look at one of them at my local Target. It has been described as "huge." I wouldn't go that far, but I have a fat head and the Rubies/Target fit me with a lot of room to spare.

As previously mentioned, I'll have much more to share sometime this upcoming weekend. And I'll have some sunlight to use for better lighting, vastly improving the picture quality. Stay tuned...

kylo sculpt right side.jpg kylo sculpt left side.jpg

Crusader91 likes this.
  2. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is looking really great so far!

3. vistaVision

I've taken the Monster Clay sculpt as far as I can. Now in process of making a silicone "waste" mold and will cast the helmet in resin. Working with a hard cast will be much easier for me to continue to refine, smooth and add/adjust details. When that master casting is complete, I will then make a hero mold to make copies.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4. Chicagovader

Chicagovader Sr Member

Fantastic work! Can't wait to see the finished product. Do you plan to offer copies?

5. vistaVision

If there's interest. There are a couple of runs going right now, copies of very nice traditional clay as well as digital sculpture. But maybe, we'll see how it looks when completed. I have the waste mold done, and will get a first casting out of it tonight later, or probably tomorrow. Then I need to clean that up. I'm looking forward to that process as I'm completely burned out on clay sculpting for the moment! Stay tuned, more progress pictures will be available within the next few days. And thanks for the compliment!

6. womo68

womo68 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great! If you do make copies I'm in!

7. Homer

Homer Active Member

I love it ! I too would like one .

8. masterstumpy

masterstumpy Active Member

This looks incredible!! Definitely interested in a helmet when you do a run!!!

9. SithariRog

SithariRog New Member

Looking forward to seeing this progress. I'll be starting my own sculpt soon...and am interested if you ultimately to a single cast or cast your final props in pieces for assembly.

10. Homer

Homer Active Member

I do think it would look a lot better if the brow on the helmet looked more angry .

11. Devilblades

Devilblades Jr Member

this helmet is beautiful, I would also be in for a cast.

12. steveo

steveo Sr Member

Wow, awesome job there! I, too, might be interested in one.

13. steveo

steveo Sr Member

any updates on this? I keep seeing other's helmets for sale, but this one has an overall feel that I really like.

14. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great!

15. Homer

Homer Active Member

Looks Great ??? Looks awesome!!!!

16. joshimus

joshimus Active Member

The shape and detail on yours seems a lot better than some of the casts being released at the moment. I might be interested in a helmet when you're done mate

Scott D likes this.
  17. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Another awesome Kylo helmet.Would be also interested when its screenaccurate at the end!:):thumbsup

18. Scott D

Scott D Sr Member

Agreed. The best I've seen on the RPF. :thumbsup

19. Ed Nigma

Ed Nigma New Member

I definitely would be interested in a cast as well, awesome work! You say u are not a sculptor? Incredible!
    If I could offer one thing I've noticed with the real KR helmet that most are not getting quite right and that I think makes a big difference, is the forehead silver brows area. It needs to curve downwards some in the middle. Making it appear as though the helmets making an angry expression, if u will!? If u see the real KR helm even from slightly below, it still appears with the angry brow ridges. Does that make sense? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg These pics don't show it very well, but check out any pics of it and you'll see what I mean. This will make a big difference in making it appear more menacing. They don't need to be curved a lot, but enough so that even if you are looking up at it from below, it still is visibly curved. Hope that helps and makes sense to u?
    Anyways regardless, awesome job, and I'd love to acquire a cast from you?

20. audis4

audis4 Active Member

any new updates

21. Ed Nigma

Ed Nigma New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg Hey I just wanted to see if you were aware of the plates in the mouth area, the plate under the top plate being visible in the middle at the bottom between the bottom two points of the top plate. If u look at these pics u can see that this under plate(for lack of a better term)is visible with two ridges or protrusions in this chin area.

Also as I mentioned a few days ago the forehead/brow ridges curving into a more menacing angry appearance in the middle third eye area. Curving or sloping enough that it is visible even when viewing the helmet from slightly below and looking up at it. I don't think it's hugely angled, but if visible from angles below, it is significant in my opinion, and again does give the helmet a more aggressive dark side appearance/feel...again in my opinion. Hopefully u can see this in these pics!?
    Hope this helps, that is my only intention-constructive criticism!
    But again I love what u have done and really would love to acquire a cast when u make them available. Tremendous work and skill, top shelf! My fav that I've seen. Can't wait to see where u are with it now!

22. vistaVision

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the compliments, comments and suggestions! All appreciated. Shortly after my last post here I got very busy with real-life stuff, and set this on the back burner. By the time I returned to it, the various licenced replicas and masks, many derived from the screen used helmet, had been released and I could see several areas of this sculpt that would need to be re-worked to be accurate. And honestly, the actual helmet (and the Kylo Ren character himself) doesn't interest me much now that I've seen the picture.Don't think that I'll continue with this sculpt, as there are so many other options for a Kylo mask available now. But I'll keep the WIP pictures for my portfolio and look elsewhere for inspiration for something else to sculpt. Suggestions?

23. hbw60

hbw60 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love the profile on this one. Most of the runs look a little too flat on the bottom when seen from the side. I love the sharp angle here! Sorry to hear you're not continuing, because I would have loved to see the final version. Nice work!

24. SkyloRen

SkyloRen New Member

You should cat this and make copies ! The sell me one

25. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nope, project was shelved.

26. SkyloRen

SkyloRen New Member

That's too bad.. the best ones are made by hand I have plenty of helmets but just because I went out and bought this at target dont make it as special as something made feom your own hand. Judging by the picture I'm sure you will thrive in whatever you do.