Kurgan Helmet clean up and cast...

k so i got it cleaned, fitted and fixed, i took it back to my good friend the sculpters studio and she helped me make the helmet more symetrical but still give it the feel of it was alive... shes really great and is quite the slave driver for perfectin lol, i had to remind her that this was supposed to be from a movie prop and not supposed to be excatly like a real sabertooth lol...
also i am leaving for Haiti may 14th to the 28th, i am spending 2 weeks living at an orphanage providing semi emergent care to the kids, so i REALLY want to have a first pull, painted (yes bronze lol) and hair and teeth attached, i will post a list in the junkyard, i think no more than 10 to start, (dont want to get in over my head like other do) then i will buy the material, come back from haiti and spend the month sending them out... so alot too come on this soon!
IMG00107.jpg

IMG00108.jpg

IMG00110.jpg

IMG00112.jpg

IMG00113.jpg

IMG00104.jpg

IMG00114.jpg

IMG00115.jpg

IMG00116.jpg

IMG00118.jpg

ok ladies and gents, heres the final clean up, the teeth were added, little more cat like but nothing outrages. the final roughed finished was added and shes already got the first 2 coats of rubber on... i am hoping that by next weeked i can pour a helmet and test it out... i ordered some long strand horse hair to test that out and also have the large teeth cast and standing by...
IMG00149.jpg

IMG00154.jpg

IMG00151.jpg

IMG00152.jpg

IMG00153.jpg

IMG00156.jpg

IMG00155.jpg

IMG00157.jpg

thanks, i hope to have the hard mold case on it this week... and maybe a first pull by the end of the weekend... I am trying to see what kind of base resin to use... i was looking at REPRO for the shell, then do a layer of fiberglass on the inside, then sand it smooth so you can put in padding....
any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
thanks, i hope to have the hard mold case on it this week... and maybe a first pull by the end of the weekend... I am trying to see what kind of base resin to use... i was looking at REPRO for the shell, then do a layer of fiberglass on the inside, then sand it smooth so you can put in padding....
any thoughts anyone?

I hear solid bronze looks pretty good!:love:thumbsup

finished mold

hey guys i finished the mold... i orderes some material for tommorrow but i used some old resin and fiberglass to try a quiclk pull to see what i can see... its in the wait stage and ill post it as soon as i get it out :) soooooooooooo exciting :eek
IMG00275.jpg

IMG00285.jpg

IMG00287.jpg

IMG00279.jpg

and here we are folks... the moment of truth lol.. this is a rough copy of the fiished helmet. the resin i used was older, and i re-enforced it with fiberglass but i was very excited and went waaaaay to fast... anyway here it is, this thing will fit any head, this casting is wicked thin and without padding, and my head is huge so all you large guys will be fine!
u can also see the teeth changes i made. i am gonna fix the thin cracks and paint it a dull hammered bronze, then do the weathering with some polish... lets see what we can do!
PS i put it on the mantle for a more dramatic lighting lol
IMG00291.jpg

IMG00292.jpg

IMG00293.jpg

IMG00296.jpg

IMG00294.jpg

and here you go... finished :) i didnt get the hair yet but i did the rest... i used 3 differant shades of bronze for the base, then a clear coat, then brown and black paste for the low spots, then a touch of paint for the deep areas... then i polished the high spots.
what you think what you think what you think lol
IMG00303.jpg

IMG00310.jpg

IMG00311.jpg

IMG00314.jpg

IMG00313.jpg

IMG00317.jpg

IMG00321.jpg

IMG00322.jpg

IMG00323.jpg

IMG00325.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back