Kurgan Helmet clean up and cast...

Loving what I'm seeing with the progress so far!
I can't wait to see it finished up with the fangs, paint and fur.

Daryl's a stand up dude and this is going to turn out well.

Needs a little more tongue! ;)

Looks like it is going well!

You really look the part in this pic...
kurgan.jpg

lol nice brain... heres an update.. i fit it to my head (general fitting) and drilled in 2 reatining rods and back filled the holes with expanding gorilla glue. i had to tip the right side (facing) forward and up, so you will see its not perfectly even but it allowed the features to match, everything else will be either trimmed or filled with clay to match. i will fill the gaps with carving styrafoam, sanding it and cleaing the edges with clay... im also gonna beef up some of the features... any way here ya go...
IMG00045.jpg

IMG00046.jpg

IMG00048.jpg

IMG00047.jpg

IMG00049-1.jpg

IMG00053.jpg

im also gonna change the teeth alittle, im gonna make the small teeth a little more like the film, and alittle more like a cats teeth... side also... doont freak, im keeping it simple but a little more cat detail...
kurganteeth.jpg

kurganteeth2.jpg

stayed up late last night and cleaned up and fitted the helmet, its a little large on me so it wont be an issues for you little heads out there :lol im also using hard carving styrofoam to fill the voids in the skull then use clay too mold in the details...
IMG00058.jpg

IMG00060.jpg

IMG00057.jpg

IMG00056.jpg

What kind of skull is this helmet supposed to be based off of?

It seems to me to be a cave bear skull.:confused

What say you?

Which sabretooth?
This is the only sabretooth skull that I could find that has short fangs, but the fangs still seem a bit too long.

variants_large_5758.jpg

good find too much garlic :)
yah ive searched forever to find a sabertooth with short fangs, the only think i can think is that he (the kurgan) shaved the teeth down so he had a clear field of view... i have found pics f skulls that really match up the original, just not the teeth... if someone really wants i can make them special fangs :)

thats funny casue that what i had started doing before i came onto this one, they sell large resin skulls, and you can do what i did, cut it, fill it and make it fit...
relic have i asked you before? what part of texas are u in?

I wasnt getting the results i wanted with the styrafoam so i fiberglassed the inside of the helmet with resin and FB strips to close off the parts, nothing fancy just results. i packed the area with clay and i am working front to back with detail...
IMG00073.jpg

IMG00075.jpg

IMG00077.jpg

IMG00081.jpg

IMG00083.jpg

thanks, i am (of course) out of clay, so i will have to wait till tommorrow to get more... i also ordered a african leapord jaw casting, the measurments are about the same fot the teeth, i will cleen them up and cast the teeth so they can be used for this... casts of real teeth... fun!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back