Kolchak: The Night Stalker - His Gear

I too have a gut feeling the watch bezel rim is gold……and I had written it in my reply as so….but then changed it to mention could be gold or silver. I’m gonna go with my gut…and call it gold.

It’s been mentioned that Roman numerals are being used…..I’ll agree to that too.

I also think that the black watch band is textured of sorts?…..perhaps alligator skin pattern? Or maybe I’m seeing a stitch line where the watch pin goes.

So a search for a gold bezel round rim, with a pure white watch face, with black hands and black Roman numerals and no day/date feature is probably the watch to search for. Bare in mind…..the movie was shown in 1972….the watch has to be, imo, a 1972 or earlier model.

This is 1971…..this watch with a gold rim bezel instead of silver as shown below, and textured black watch band would fit the requirements….perhaps

It’s conceivable that the movie was being filmed in 1971 and released in 1972.

Check this out…. Link——> Watch below
0CDEFF25-B978-4FF5-8C68-917B13DDB29C.jpeg

I’d settle for this just found……

Model name is IWC Portofino

249D4620-C608-48BA-B759-E6E47D4C6666.jpeg

You’ll want to hunt down something close to the above for much cheaper $$$……this vintage IWC Portofino above runs over a couple grand…..yikes!

Peace

Last edited:
that IWC Portofino looks about right, even the reflection on the slightly domed crystal. also look at late 60’s models - production may have just grabbed a watch from existing studio inventory?

Okay, I might (??) have found it.
Previously, I saw a lot of these dated in the later 70s, but this one seems to date to 1970. I'll be honest though, for a non-functioning watch, it seems a bit pricey...

Probable Watch.jpg

I too have a gut feeling the watch bezel rim is gold……and I had written it in my reply as so….but then changed it to mention could be gold or silver. I’m gonna go with my gut…and call it gold.

It’s been mentioned that Roman numerals are being used…..I’ll agree to that too.

I also think that the black watch band is textured of sorts?…..perhaps alligator skin pattern? Or maybe I’m seeing a stitch line where the watch pin goes.

So a search for a gold bezel round rim, with a pure white watch face, with black hands and black Roman numerals and no day/date feature is probably the watch to search for. Bare in mind…..the movie was shown in 1972….the watch has to be, imo, a 1972 or earlier model.

This is 1971…..this watch with a gold rim bezel instead of silver as shown below, and textured black watch band would fit the requirements….perhaps

It’s conceivable that the movie was being filmed in 1971 and released in 1972.

Check this out…. Link——> Watch below
View attachment 1612422

I’d settle for this just found……

Model name is IWC Portofino

View attachment 1612425

You’ll want to hunt down something close to the above for much cheaper $$$……this vintage IWC Portofino above runs over a couple grand…..yikes!

Peace
This is actually a very nice looking watch! I'm surprised to find that other watch manufacturers followed the rather unusual practice of using "IIII" to indicate the number four, as I already knew Timex did.

Okay, I might (??) have found it.
Previously, I saw a lot of these dated in the later 70s, but this one seems to date to 1970. I'll be honest though, for a non-functioning watch, it seems a bit pricey...

View attachment 1612855

Below is a somewhat side by side comparison…… I rotated the Kolchak watch 180 so the crowns of both watches are on the side to the right.

There’s an assumption that the Kolchak watch is a Timex……imo I’m not so sure. Definitely there’s no bottom text on the Kolchak watch face.

I’m now not so sure those are Roman numerals the more I look. Certainly, if Roman numerals….there are smaller in font point size….than your example.
From a distance….it meets the perfectly round rim bezel….the white face…..black numerals and hands….and a black band yet to be bought.

Its a good find….It’s a hard call…but overall it “appears “ to be close enough.

Peace
B33A72C1-0449-4475-9979-3422AAFA2AE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Below is a somewhat side by side comparison…… I rotated the Kolchak watch 180 so the crowns of both watches are on the side to the right.

There’s an assumption that the Kolchak watch is a Timex……imo I’m not so sure. Definitely there’s no bottom text on the Kolchak watch face.

I’m now not so sure those are Roman numerals the more I look. Certainly, if Roman numerals….there are smaller in font point size….than your example.
From a distance….it meets the perfectly round rim bezel….the white face…..black numerals and hands….and a black band yet to be bought.

Its a good find….It’s a hard call…but overall it “appears “ to be close enough.

Peace View attachment 1612865
Bravo! Valid points, one and all. Also, the hour hand appears to be a bit longer on the target watch.
Hm. I might get this if I can get the seller to drop the price significantly (it's good to have a fallback), but it probably isn't "the" watch. Either way—the search continues...

Bravo! Valid points, one and all. Also, the hour hand appears to be a bit longer on the target watch.
Hm. I might get this if I can get the seller to drop the price significantly (it's good to have a fallback), but it probably isn't "the" watch. Either way—the search continues...

There are numerous watch hands styles…….below is an example of the many.

It appears that the thin sweep second hand is over the hour hand……but you can almost make out the shapes of both the hour hand and minute hands…..to come very close to the “Diamond” or “Modern” style watch hands….imo.

Anyway…Good Luck

Post the watch you end up getting

Peace

BE3C7C9A-E6C1-42C6-9CCE-180B70914EFA.jpeg

CKFan - I think that Timex listing (or the merchant is using the same pics?) is still up and noted as currently working. Lol. Either way good luck - you’ll find your right match.

Pressed for time to find the movie watch and still unsure what, exactly, I was looking for, I went with a model similar to the one I looked at, before. It was made in '77, so it's clearly not "The One." But, the price was right, it works(!), it does have Roman Numerals (which I'm fairly certain the original had, based on the width of the '10' digit, if nothing else), it's gold (which a review of "The Night Stalker," "The Night Strangler" and the series watch tells me is the right color), the face is white and the band is... a dark brown (but vintage!). What can I say? It appears to be the same as the watch from The Night Strangler, so I'll use it again next year (hopefully with a black band!).
A VERY sincere thank you to everyone who helped me track down and decide on a watch for this 50th Anniversary Year of 1972's The Night Stalker! It's been a fun scavenger hunt for me, I must say!

Attachments

• DSC_0116.JPG
    DSC_0116.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 60
Thanks all for the info. Here is a pic from a local Oddities show - most folk dressed in vampire and other monsters, so I thought this would be appropriate. The crowd was mixed in age, so some got it, others did not.View attachment 1633527

In the immortal words of Vincenzo…….. Kolchak! Kolchak! K-o-o-o-o-l-chak!!!

For those who got it……Kolchak still lives in their memories.

Very Kolchak Koooool

Thx4Sharing

Peace

Last edited:
January 11, 1972: The world meets Karl Kolchak (and is a better place for it!) as The Night Stalker premieres as an ABC-TV Movie of the Week. The film was a ratings smash, and for my dime still ranks among the best vampire films (solid Richard Matheson script!).

Met Carol Lynley at ChillerCon years ago, and she was very proud of this film.

Night Stalker Kolchak cross CRP.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back