Kolchak: The Night Stalker - His Gear

Thos forum is the greatest
Slowly putting the props together and I’m stuck at the likely spot, the rollei flash tripod adapter, does anyone have one they are parting with or know where i could find one? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thos forum is the greatest
Slowly putting the props together and I’m stuck at the likely spot, the rollei flash tripod adapter, does anyone have one they are parting with or know where i could find one? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I ended up having to use Google Translator and using the eBay German website. You may find one on its own, or buy one as already with other Rollei items bundled in. I had to negotiate lower shipping costs with the Seller who stated they would not ship to the U.S. in the description. But I contact the seller and managed to have them agree to shipping it to the states. I lucked out…..

Good Luck!

Peace

Thanks, I think I can finialy quit looking at cold shoe adapters on sell sites now ;) I could be wrong and most of the time I am but in my head it’s as close as I think I can come
Greetings could you share your source for the cold shoe adapter you settled on?

Brand name…model number…etc… would be helpful.

Thanks
Peace

About the Kolchak watch……

I recently received the Model watch that Kolchak used…..and seen in the Aliens episode titled They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be …and the Aztec ancient god episode titled Legacy of Terror. The watch is a 1970’s Timex “Electronic” silver chromed case model ….. not the “Electric” model. For filming, the name Timex on the face of the watch, was rubbed off…leaving only the “Electronic” model name.

Btw the screenshot below from the Aliens episode…..the storyline has the watch being frozen in time by the Aliens at the time. To freeze the hands on the watch, for filming purposes, notice that they pulled the time changing crown on the watch to stop the time from advancing….. :)

D016888C-0DBC-44D3-914B-60540C82D7B8.jpeg

Below are some things to watch out for….. 1) the Kolchak watch has seconds tick marks to the right of the date box outline. Some look-a-likes don’t have those seconds tick marks. For screen accuracy, you’ll want the same watch with the seconds tick marks. The Kolchak version is all silver chromed with a light cream watch face that says “Electronic”. Below shown as well is the gold case version and the silver chromed “Electric” version.

6755E3C6-9923-4657-83A5-AACABE9A9D9B.jpeg

2) Beware of the Knock-Offs. As shown below, the Kolchak Knock-Off is made in Taiwan! Timex has never had Manufacturing in Taiwan…..the only Pacific country to have made Timex watches was in the Philippines. Notice the printing at the very edge of the watch dial face on the bottom….

71845948-9BD4-4615-80CA-A2CDACAC818E.jpeg

As for the watch I got from EBay below …… trust me, I’ve waited for some time for this watch to show up for the price point I was willing to pay. I’m happy to have it now just before Comic-Con in which I’ll be there in full costume and accessories. As for the watch band…… Kolchak’s watch has a Black leather watch band. The watch I bought had a metal watch band. The importance of the leather watch band was secondary in my decision to buy the watch. I already anticipated that if the watch, which is hard to come by, did not have a leather watch band….I would merely buy a leather watch band to swap out. From my zooming in on the scenes where the leather watch band was noticeable including the buckle….. to me the buckle is silver with rounding corners and not a silver square corner buckle. So that’s what I bought from eBay to swap out with the metal watch band. Keep in mind that on eBay, for used watches, the Sellers may put on their own other types of watch bands, especially when the original watch bands have fallen apart or abused over the years. The leather and silver buckle watch band ideally should be made by Timex as well…..this proved to be hard to find for me as well ….. for this, I threw in the towel, due to expediency, and bought a Made in China watch band. It was hard enough to find one with a silver buckle that was rounded no less.

If you find yourself having to buy a Black leather watch band……the size that fits between the watch lugs is, 18mm and 19mm. ……I used 19mm.

44A575BE-9420-471C-9136-078D26EEA5E7.jpeg

UPDATE: Watch Band transfer done…..looks good :)

02467372-2949-4B99-81E6-3BA4F6AA65F9.jpeg

Btw…..I was lucky to get a working watch……some watches may not be working. Is that a bad thing? ….Perhaps not if you, in costume, display it with the Frozened time setting of the Alien episode….you then just need to make sure with the Seller, that at least you can set the the watch hands and calendar manually and then set it to 11:19 Sat 31…..and leave it at that…to display and reminisce about that particular episode and scene. For the Aztec ancient god episode…..the time is 12:10 Mon 25…….. look at it this way….You’ll save $$ not having to buy a battery if it doesn’t work, but it’s still settable.

My eBay saved search…..search words were …Vintage Men’s Timex Electronic.

Surprisingly I found my watch under “Electric” just taking a chance of a misspelling …as it turns out the Seller for my watch misidentified using the word “Electronic” and used “Electric” in his listing title instead. Btw, there are Timex watch models using “Electric” so look carefully at the eBay pictures.

Comparison between the Kolchak Timex “Electronic” and yet another Timex “Electric” version.
Same chromed silver case
Same cream colored dial face
Both day and date calendar
Both seconds tick markers
The rest are differences seen like the Index’s shapes….Baton for the Electronic and Stick for the Electric

A36FA947-F3D9-4FA8-BA4D-FE6B9039E02C.jpeg

Here’s the Timex Model 52 Manual

Welp …. that’s my story for my Kolchak watch.

Peace

Blast from the past……
655F1D22-FD53-455B-8FE4-8A0AE460A48E.jpeg

Last edited:
2022 Komic-Kon - Kolchak

What a Blast!!! I had some good times.

Much more than this past Wonder-Con…..for me…Kolchak cosplay was worth the time and effort and expense (well not so much the expense … it was the most I ever paid for such an ensemble of stuff).

People called out Kolchak from near me and short distances within the Convention Center and the surrounding streets. I also had the pleasure striking pose’s for those requesting to take a picture.

Although I had a pass for three day’s, I only cosplayed on Saturday. Perhaps next year, I’ll cosplay more days, since reactions from people was favorable.

Upcoming, I may cosplay Halloween festivities in the Gaslamp District of San Diego (I live about 20 minutes from downtown).

I noticed at Komic-Kon, the “Monster” type cosplay costumes were virtually non-existent. They may have been there…and I just didn’t see them to have taken pictures of me (Kolchak), taking pictures of them with the Kolchak camera in pose’s.

Below….some pics of Kolchak taking pictures of static display scene and figures…
6C899719-E264-4A44-971A-6684B62A4522.jpeg

One person, which I didn’t get his name…who was cosplaying a super hero….Captain Marvel, also known as Shazam…….well, he told me he also has been working on a full Kolchak ensemble. Apparently one of his hard to find items is the Kolchak gear holy grail… that elusive Rollei 16 tripod/camera flash adapter among others. We chit chatted for a bit…it was nice. He’s aware of RPF forums…I mentioned for him to check out this thread.

Below a pic of him and I taking pictures of each other (it was late night in a sparse area) ….of course my Kolchak camera didn’t have film, but for the purposes of Kolchak taking a picture of a “super hero”… another picture was, as shown, taken.
0F30D443-DEB9-4622-9AD4-728965D08183.jpeg

Well as far as the Kolchak gear I had with me….below is a picture. I’ve added and updated since the last gear group shot I posted previously awhile back on this thread. A notable addition is the MoJo bag for the Witch episode titled The Trevi Collection.

Kolchak verbally lists the contents of the bag….a bell, buttons, Bear claws, and copper wire. I also included a audio playback gizmo in the bag, with an audio clip of witch and Kolchak dialogue. In the future I’ll post a break down of why I chose these particular items, for the MoJo bag, giving them some real world rational. But for now….
F7B0773C-D5B1-4D33-B3CF-0E83446DFCD4.jpeg

Below….myself and my better half (and picture taker)…..although not shown, she wore a Seersucker Skirt!
5060BF5A-CECF-45B0-8567-39EE9094126A.jpeg

Once again Komic-Kon was thumbs up…for me at least. Hopefully next year, they’ll drop the mandatory face mask requirement. I was very comfortable wearing and carrying everything I had….including the seersucker face mask (Thanks to a friends sewing skills) and the seersucker backpack (Etsy).

Happy 50th Anniversary KOLCHAK!!!!!!!

Peace

Last edited:
Yes, the facemask is excellent. Some good foresight on that one.

Thanx!

I can’t remember if I mentioned this previously, but the particular seersucker face mask I have, was custom sewn using the same exact material (seersucker stripe color and stripe spacing). It so happened that the pants were too long and had to be cut for my length….and so, the excess pants legs material that was cut away in the pants alteration, was enough to fashion the mask.

Yes, you can find seersucker masks online, eBay, etc.. For me, the availability of the exact matching pattern material was too good to pass up.

Of interest to anyone…. Here’s a website, below, selling 2-layer Carl Kolchak face masks of numerous graphics designs (none are seersucker that I can see).

Carl Kolchak Face Masks

Peace

Last edited:
Hi, all! I've enjoyed this thread since I started my own hunt for a Halloween costume to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1972 movie! :D
But I have questions...
Watches: Anybody know what that watch is in the movie? Looks like a Timex, but I've only found the one B&W picture. Roman numerals? Numbers? Certainly no day/date...

Attachments

• movie watch 01.jpg
    movie watch 01.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 65
  • movie  watch 02.jpg
    movie watch 02.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 63
Hi, all! I've enjoyed this thread since I started my own hunt for a Halloween costume to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1972 movie! :D
But I have questions...
Watches: Anybody know what that watch is in the movie? Looks like a Timex, but I've only found the one B&W picture. Roman numerals? Numbers? Certainly no day/date...

The spacing of the numbers definitely looks progressive like roman numbers. But I can't be certain.

The spacing of the numbers definitely looks progressive like roman numbers. But I can't be certain.
But I have questions...
Unfortunately, myself…..I only have the DVD TV series…..to scrutinize freeze frame and zoom for reference. No Kolchak Movies DVD’s to research…. :(

Peace

Unfortunately, myself…..I only have the DVD TV series…..to scrutinize freeze frame and zoom for reference. No Kolchak Movies DVD’s to research…. :(

Peace
I actually do have the movie, but I'm going mostly off of images found on the web. Some seem to be better quality than the dvd release. (They may be production stills.)
Cameras, shoes, belt, watch, recorder... they're all different for the movie. Finding a belt with that horseshoe-shape buckle was a bear. And I'm still not sure that I got the right "daytime" camera (Asahi Pentax S-series [not the virtually identical U.S.-release, the H-series]). I got the S1a, but it could as easily have been the S1, S2 or S3. And it was a LOT cheaper to get than the night-time camera, the Nikon F ! :p
STILL looking for what I guess are a pair of white Florsheim loafers from the period. I might have to give up on that one.

I actually do have the movie, but I'm going mostly off of images found on the web. Some seem to be better quality than the dvd release. (They may be production stills.)
Cameras, shoes, belt, watch, recorder... they're all different for the movie. Finding a belt with that horseshoe-shape buckle was a bear. And I'm still not sure that I got the right "daytime" camera (Asahi Pentax S-series [not the virtually identical U.S.-release, the H-series]). I got the S1a, but it could as easily have been the S1, S2 or S3. And it was a LOT cheaper to get than the night-time camera, the Nikon F ! :p
STILL looking for what I guess are a pair of white Florsheim loafers from the period. I might have to give up on that one.
I feel your pain of the hunt….but then there’s the elation of the find :)

Sometimes, close enough will have to suffice……

I sometimes laugh to myself how costumers (including myself) want to be as screen accurate as possible…..but that would be only for self satisfaction…right? after all, who do we really need to impress but ourselves.

After all, it would be ridiculous to think that anywhere one goes wearing a costume…..would have the Costume Inspector’s with magnifying glasses going over a costume with a fine tooth comb……looking to see if as much as a thread is out of place or a button not lined up…etc…etc.

I have never had someone stop me to tell me something was INCORRECT in what I was wearing. I have yet to bump into someone telling me OH NO….that’s not right…while whipping out a laptop, or device to go to some database, find what they think is wrong……and do an In Your Face shaming for not being 100% screen accurate.

Yeah….one does the best they can and be happy with themselves despite the critics with a greater than thou attitudes.

I’m sure when you feel done, you’ll smile and so will the character in the mirror will smile back at you.

So then the only person you do …have to impress, is the character you play.

Peace

Btw….if you’ve given up on finding a watch if not exact or close enough…..then inject some humor into your situation and consider buying this….found on Etsy

D09723DA-577C-4747-BA2E-F3BBCC147B80_preview_rev_1.png

Last edited:

Using my mini iPad, I scanned through The Night Stalker movie at an uploaded video resolution.

I came across the scene where Kolchak is having his shirt ironed by some dish. From what I can make out…his watch appears to have a black band….the dial is hugely round and ultra bright white. It does also slightly, seem to me that the rim around the dial face may be gold or silver and possibly black hands.

Obviously no better defined details.

A good start would be EBay and plug in Vintage, 1971 or 1972, mens wristwatch or watch ….etc.

Good Luck

Peace
6C3AF23A-4C45-4F6F-AF8A-62B3FAAB5DD3.jpeg

Here’s a good close enough candidate from eBay belo….but really…the above watch face he is wearing is huge or it’s a skinny watch band making the watch face look huge.

Link…
Kolchak movie watch??

AD307666-6063-4043-A855-2DBCF026EABE.jpeg

Last edited:
Using my mini iPad, I scanned through The Night Stalker movie at an uploaded video resolution.

I came across the scene where Kolchak is having his shirt ironed by some dish. From what I can make out…his watch appears to have a black band….the dial is hugely round and ultra bright white. It does also slightly, seem to me that the rim around the dial face may be gold or silver and possibly black hands.

Obviously no better defined details.

A good start would be EBay and plug in Vintage, 1971 or 1972, mens wristwatch or watch ….etc.

Good Luck

PeaceView attachment 1612055

Here’s a good close enough candidate from eBay belo….but really…the above watch face he is wearing is huge or it’s a skinny watch band making the watch face look huge.

Link…
Kolchak movie watch??

View attachment 1612056
Wow, this watch is a solid possibility! Great find! :D

I took a note from you and pulled out the old DVD and checked this scene. Just made for more questions. Is the watch actually gold? Are those Roman numerals (note the relative size of the '10' on the watch face (a little smaller, like a single 'X')?
I don't know why I'm enjoying this so much! :lol:

Attachments

• Movie Watch (alt view).png
    Movie Watch (alt view).png
    523 KB · Views: 60
  • Movie Watch (10 o-clock close up).jpg
    Movie Watch (10 o-clock close up).jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Movie Watch (10 o-clock).jpg
    Movie Watch (10 o-clock).jpg
    490 KB · Views: 53
  • Movie Watch (gold).jpg
    Movie Watch (gold).jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Movie Watch (alt view close up).jpg
    Movie Watch (alt view close up).jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 53
I think they’re roman numerals. I see the 4 as IIII. Then again that’s why I’m wearing glasses! lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back