Kolchak: The Night Stalker - His Gear

Here's my attempt at Kolchak:
image-5.jpg

image-4.jpg
Well done! you nailed it! congrats.

About that Compass Pocket Prop

In the episode They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be, about the marrow sucking Alien(s)…CK uses a compass to locate the Alien(s) who can cause magnetic field disturbances.

The compass was made by Taylor Instruments back in the day. This particular style was actually made one for regular sales, and made the same one but for The Boy Scouts of America, that I presently know of.

Below is Kolchak’s hand holding the compass in the palm of his hand …… look closely at the inside ring, within it, you can make out the word Scouts, and maybe even some of the word Boy, before it.

It is my belief that the compass for The Boy Scouts Of America was the compass used by Kolchak, instead of the compass version for regular sales.

I’ve purchased one from Etsy recently. They also show up in EBay. These are Vintage old and sell at various prices and conditions. To be screen accurate, I recommend getting the one with the Boy Scouts Of America version.

Imagine Kolchak as a Boy Scout….that’s funny. Bigfoot would have been his first monster to go after

I’m not used to seeing both sides of the compass needle in red…..but then for this compass an N is cut into one needle side…..that’s fine I guess.

View attachment 1556054

From the picture below, it appears the compass is fluid filled.

View attachment 1556056

Peace

Old thread I know but:

I have that compass! And yes, I got it as a Boy Scout in the 1970's. Probably about three or four years after the show was on.

Now I just gotta figure out where I put it. I saw it awhile back so I know it's still kicking around somewhere...

I think I’ve found the exact model of the Nikon camera used….F2…..I also found pictures of the AS-1 Flash Unit Coupler.

Here’s the free PDF Manual https://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_f2.pdf

The front pyramid (triangle) and overall shape of the Eye-Level Finder…is well defined..
View attachment 1574560

View attachment 1574555View attachment 1574556View attachment 1574557View attachment 1574558View attachment 1574559

The Hardware Stack…..minus the motor drive / battery pack
View attachment 1574753

Peace

I'm almost absolutely sure you are correct that it is the Nikon F2 with the standard eye-level prism. The "bunny ears" on the top rear of the lens are another clue. They mechanically connect to the camera's light meter (if it has one, this one doesn't) to give the aperature info from the lens to the meter.

It could also have been the earlier Nikon F. I wasn't sure until I looked really close. The Nikon F, and the Nikon F2 look ALMOST identical. The two "tells" from the front are:

The Nikon F has a "F" on the prism. (The F2 prism is blank). It's hard to tell, but I don't think I see anything on the prism.

On the Nikon F the shutter release is on the top right (from the photographer's point of view) and is toward the rear of the body of the camera.

On the F2 Nikon moved the shutter release forward to the front of the camera. It's essentially in front of the location where the F shutter release was located.

The Nikon F was THE pro photographer's camera almost immediately from its debut in 1959. It was the first truly successful, widely used, Single Lens Reflex camera which largely replaced the older "Rangefinder" systems. The F was a "system" camera where the user could not only easily swap out lens (using the Nikon "F mount" bayonet mount) but could also change the focus screens and the prism with many options including non-metered eye-level (what Kolchak has on his F2), a variety of metered prisms that were upgraded during the camera's life, and special prisms with waist level viewfinders or extra large "sport" finders. The F is all mechanical, no batteries required except for the meter, and was known for it's ruggedness and reliablity. They were the standard "press camera" for news photographers, war correspondents, etc.

The F was made until 1973. The F2, which is Kolchak's camera, was an improvement on the F which and production in 1971. The biggest differences were improved light meters (for the cameras that had one), relocation of the shutter release to the top front of the camera from the top rear, and a hinged back for easier film loading. (On the F you take off the whole back to load or unload film).

The F2 quickly became the new standard for press photographers and many upgraded as their old F cameras got worn. A lot of F's stayed in use as backup cameras so you'll see photos of photographers with both, often with different length lens attached.

I literally told my wife, "The prop guys didn't do any favors with the camera they picked." I couldn't understand why they didn't give Kolchak a F or a F2. It was a more realistic choice, as the 35mm film would be much better for a reporter/photographer than the smaller 16mm film, and the actual physical size and look of the F2 look better on screen than the smaller 16mm camera.

Interesting to see he had an F2 in the movies. No idea why they didn't carry that over into the series. It would have been a better choice.

I'm especially glad to see he had a F2 because now I don't need to buy another camera for a Kolchak impression. I have a 1972 F2 gifted to me by a family friend along with a few F's.

And, if anyone else plans to cosplay Kolchak with a F2, remember you can actually still get 35mm film and get it developed! So you could really take photos with your camera in character.

Site with F and F2 side by side

I'm almost absolutely sure you are correct that it is the Nikon F2 with the standard eye-level prism. The "bunny ears" on the top rear of the lens are another clue. They mechanically connect to the camera's light meter (if it has one, this one doesn't) to give the aperature info from the lens to the meter.

It could also have been the earlier Nikon F. I wasn't sure until I looked really close. The Nikon F, and the Nikon F2 look ALMOST identical. The two "tells" from the front are:

The Nikon F has a "F" on the prism. (The F2 prism is blank). It's hard to tell, but I don't think I see anything on the prism.

On the Nikon F the shutter release is on the top right (from the photographer's point of view) and is toward the rear of the body of the camera.

On the F2 Nikon moved the shutter release forward to the front of the camera. It's essentially in front of the location where the F shutter release was located.

The Nikon F was THE pro photographer's camera almost immediately from its debut in 1959. It was the first truly successful, widely used, Single Lens Reflex camera which largely replaced the older "Rangefinder" systems. The F was a "system" camera where the user could not only easily swap out lens (using the Nikon "F mount" bayonet mount) but could also change the focus screens and the prism with many options including non-metered eye-level (what Kolchak has on his F2), a variety of metered prisms that were upgraded during the camera's life, and special prisms with waist level viewfinders or extra large "sport" finders. The F is all mechanical, no batteries required except for the meter, and was known for it's ruggedness and reliablity. They were the standard "press camera" for news photographers, war correspondents, etc.

The F was made until 1973. The F2, which is Kolchak's camera, was an improvement on the F which and production in 1971. The biggest differences were improved light meters (for the cameras that had one), relocation of the shutter release to the top front of the camera from the top rear, and a hinged back for easier film loading. (On the F you take off the whole back to load or unload film).

The F2 quickly became the new standard for press photographers and many upgraded as their old F cameras got worn. A lot of F's stayed in use as backup cameras so you'll see photos of photographers with both, often with different length lens attached.

I literally told my wife, "The prop guys didn't do any favors with the camera they picked." I couldn't understand why they didn't give Kolchak a F or a F2. It was a more realistic choice, as the 35mm film would be much better for a reporter/photographer than the smaller 16mm film, and the actual physical size and look of the F2 look better on screen than the smaller 16mm camera.

Interesting to see he had an F2 in the movies. No idea why they didn't carry that over into the series. It would have been a better choice.

I'm especially glad to see he had a F2 because now I don't need to buy another camera for a Kolchak impression. I have a 1972 F2 gifted to me by a family friend along with a few F's.

And, if anyone else plans to cosplay Kolchak with a F2, remember you can actually still get 35mm film and get it developed! So you could really take photos with your camera in character.

Site with F and F2 side by side

Hold the PRESSES!

I believe you found a reason for me to believe that it’s actually the “F” model and NOT the F2!

Since I posted my finding ….I really didn’t see anyone questioning it….in case I was in error…..ya know peered reviewed. So I left it at that…thinking the F2 was the correct model.

I had never saw a direct top view of the F model……until you posted the side by side comparison….that includes the top view of both cameras.

When I was looking for the camera initially ….my eyes were fixated on the “triangle” front of the viewfinder/prism housing. And so I based my post on that…..

Here’s why I now believe it to be the F and not the F2.

Below if you look at Kolchak’s finger on the shutter release button you’ll notice that it appears to be set back from the front edge of the camera body (I see space in front of the shutter release button)….between the film advance lever and the shutter speed dial.

On the F2 of the comparison ….the shutter release button is up front to the camera body edge between the film advance lever and the shutter speed dial!.

I now believe I’m wrong in believing it was the F2.

Any thoughts? Anybody? Am I as wrong as I think I am?

My apologies to anyone that may have purchased the F2 according to my earlier findings….to be fair…anyone else had the opportunity to check me…but that never happened

Thanks for the comparison pic….

Peace……
EF11BC2F-BBC1-4320-8C12-B4333BC9D9FA.jpeg

Last edited:
Hold the PRESSES!

I believe you found a reason for me to believe that it’s actually the “F” model and NOT the F2!

Since I posted my finding ….I really didn’t see anyone questioning it….in case I was in error…..ya know peered reviewed. So I left it at that…thinking the F2 was the correct model.

I had never saw a direct top view of the F model……until you posted the side by side comparison….that includes the top view of both cameras.

When I was looking for the camera initially ….my eyes were fixated on the “triangle” front of the viewfinder/prism housing. And so I based my post on that…..

Here’s why I now believe it to be the F and not the F2.

Below if you look at Kolchak’s finger on the shutter release button you’ll notice that it appears to be set back from the front edge of the camera body (I see space in front of the shutter release button)….between the film advance lever and the shutter speed dial.

On the F2 of the comparison ….the shutter release button is up front to the camera body edge between the film advance lever and the shutter speed dial!.

I now believe I’m wrong in believing it was the F2.

Any thoughts? Anybody? Am I as wrong as I think I am?

My apologies to anyone that may have purchased the F2 according to my earlier findings….to be fair…anyone else had the opportunity to check me…but that never happened

Thanks for the comparison pic….

Peace……
View attachment 1725802

Man, it' so hard to tell from the blurry screencaps. I thought I saw the "more forward" F2 shutter release originally. Maybe because I was preconditioned to "see the F2".

But, now that I look again, I think what I originally thought was the shutter release is actually the ISO/ASA dial to the right (from our view) of the shutter release. And that yeah, the real shutter release is to the left (from our view) of that dial and is closer to the back of the camera than the front. The second and third pics seem to show the "forward/to the rear/forward" orientation of the film advance hub, shutter release, and ISO/ASA dial. It's that pattern of the three together that is convincing.

I'd say I'm now about 95% convinced your right, and it's the F with the "more rearward" shutter release instead of the F2 with the "more forward" shutter release. The only reason for that 5% doubt is just because of how blurry the screencaps are. Something just a little bit clearer would remove all doubt and possibly even show the "F" on the prism.

Good eye though! And I'm embarrased I didn't see that since I pointed out the different locations of the shutter release.

'F2' 'F'? What are we talking about here?
huh. Is the picture in a different thread? They were talking about 2 different camera models, an F and an F2. Where, because of blurry screen grabs, it wasn't sure which one of the two was the correct camera.

On my computer, Fanatico and Trebor's conversation entries #505 and #506 are blank. Are we talking about the Rollei 16? First mention I've read of different models, except for the 16s. What's the difference?

On my computer, Fanatico and Trebor's conversation entries #505 and #506 are blank. Are we talking about the Rollei 16? First mention I've read of different models, except for the 16s. What's the difference?
Okay, seriously, I think the photos were GONE and now they're back. In post #506, you see this picture. It shows the position of the knob and how to tell the difference between an F and F2.

Oh, I believe the F or F2 is the one from the Kolchak MOVIE, not TV series.

Attachments

• EF11BC2F-BBC1-4320-8C12-B4333BC9D9FA.jpeg
    EF11BC2F-BBC1-4320-8C12-B4333BC9D9FA.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
'F2' 'F'? What are we talking about here?
Kolchak’s other Camera used…in the Movies….not the tv series

It is in my revised opinion that Kolchak used the Nikon F model camera.

Unless someone else can change my mind ….to say it’s the F2

Peace

43D89D6A-8F84-408B-848B-A2CFDA4C41DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe this particular camera is an Asahi Pentax S1a, not a Nikon.

View attachment 1729568

Well there were 2 movies made…..perhaps he used the Nikon in one, and the Pentax in the other.

I have not taken the deep dive to try to make a comparison between the cameras used in both movies.

My main camera focus is all about the TV series Rollei.

I was surprised that the Rollei wasn’t used in the movies version……it was…..imo….one of his trademark gadgets.
It was an untypical camera gear for an untypical quirky newsman.

Perhaps someone else will try to do the comparison.

Peace….

Well there were 2 movies made…..perhaps he used the Nikon in one, and the Pentax in the other.

I have not taken the deep dive to try to make a comparison between the cameras used in both movies.

My main camera focus is all about the TV series Rollei.

I was surprised that the Rollei wasn’t used in the movies version……it was…..imo….one of his trademark gadgets.
It was an untypical camera gear for an untypical quirky newsman.

Perhaps someone else will try to do the comparison.

Peace….
I had a look at the two movies and the Pentax was used in The Night Stalker and a camera similar to a Rollei was used in The Night Strangler. It was another subminiature camera, perhaps a Minolta. I haven't found the exact make/model yet. It would make sense for the production to use a lighter camera as a SLR plus the tape recorder would have been heavy to troop around with The Sony tape recorder alone weighs over a pound.

camera from Movie.jpg

I had a look at the two movies and the Pentax was used in The Night Stalker and a camera similar to a Rollei was used in The Night Strangler. It was another subminiature camera, perhaps a Minolta. I haven't found the exact make/model yet. It would make sense for the production to use a lighter camera as a SLR plus the tape recorder would have been heavy to troop around with The Sony tape recorder alone weighs over a pound.

My software enhancement created some artifacting, but still made it clear that this better matches the Pentax. You called that one right.

Hey, all! I came back for some info on Night Strangler specifics (50th Anniversary year!), but looks like there's been some discussion about cameras for The Night Stalker.

The two cameras used in The Night Stalker TV movie (the day camera and the night camera as I think of them) were Asahi-Pentax and Nikon, by brand.

Day Camera
The Night Stalker daytime camera
Asahi-Pentax S1a

The day camera is tricky—there are a number of Asahi-Pentax cameras that could fit the bill. They are physically indistinguishable from each other without a close examination of lenses and the shutter speed dial. I finally settled on the S1A, as it was released at a time that would have been appropriate for the production of the TV movie (the S3 would have worked, as well). But the Asahi-Pentax S1, S1a, S2, S3, SB, SB2, SV and SV2 were all so similar, I don't know how anyone could make a wrong choice among them. It was not, however, a Honeywell/Heiland branded version of any of these that is seen on screen.

From www.pentax-slr.com

Night Camera
Nikon F.png

As for the Nikon (night camera), I never knew there was a controversy, here, about which one it was. If you go through the DVD scenes that feature the camera, frame-by-frame (what normal person wouldn't?), you see there are a few frames that clearly show the imprint of the 'F' on the prism. Only one camera had this and the prisms weren't interchangeable between the F and the F2. It was very definitely a Nikon F.
Nikon F model.jpg

Last edited:
I'm certain that the camera was a Minolta 16 EE II (why the fascination for 16mm film?) with a Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite II (not the first Tilt-A-Mite — version two has a red square with 'H' above the circular flash bulb hole and a big red circle in back.) It used both flash cubes and flash bulbs!

Night Strangler Camera Flash Watch.jpg

Night Strangler Flash.jpg

It was connected by an aluminum flash bracket, making for the most ungainly photo setup I can imagine. I mean, why use a mini camera if you're going to saddle it with a mounting bracket?? Similar to the bracket below, but not the bracket below.

Flash Bracket.png

Now, if I could only figure out what watch he's wearing...

Camera runs about $15 on eBay and the flash about $20(!), plush shipping [October, 2023].

[Edited to include specific camera model and add some reference picts. :)]

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good recommendations for any replicas of Kolchak's hat, or a similar one that could have a correct band added that would fit a 25" head? I have terrible luck when it comes to buying hats. Since I was a kid, I've had to buy adult large-size hats.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back