Kobold Flash?

xmr1

Hi,

I just bought this Kobold flash unit.

5d3d9cb1.jpg

I noticed that it's a bit different than the usual Kobolds. The name is missing and it has a rivet where others don't.

Could you enlighten me what I just bought? Is it usable for a droid caller?

Thx!

I'm not a Kobold expert by any means, but aside from a seemingly more tapered neck, yours could work as Han's Droid Caller. And I'm pretty sure that rivet can be popped off somehow if it were really bothering you.

-Jonaas

Hi there,

Just pop off the flash dome and you'll be all set for a ANH Droid caller ... don't know why there is a rivet or why the name is lacking though???

-Chaim

I bought it from a photo dealer, it's definately a Kobold. He said it's from the 50ies. Were the ones used in SW also from that period?

The Kobold flash was used for Han's droid caller in ROTJ, but it looks like you don't have the correct model.

Last edited:
Strange - all real Kobolds and Linhoffs i´ve seen had the same size.

Minor differencies in knurling, taper, a little machined step or not, textured body or not, ..... - but these were found between Kobolds as often as between Linhoffs, and between Kobolds and Linhoffs.

I´m only talking about your ROTJ/ANH separation, cause i think that´s a strong statement which has to be prooved before someone can take it for fact. ;)

The flash at top looks too short and tapered as has been said. It's probably not right for a droid caller. Maybe you can post more pics when you get it.

Linhof's were not used at all.
They are very similar to the Han ANH model, but require some modifications. There were 3 different Kobold variations used in the movies.

I'll post some more pics when I get it, I'm not sure the top is really tapered. It could be just a reflection. But let's see

Could someone post measurements of the right model so I could check?

Some had the Kobold logo, some did not. The tip is not as tapered as it looks at first glance--zoom in and follow the edges in comparison to the body. Yes, a slight taper but not bad. That's certainly going to work as a Han Droid caller. Don't sweat it--you're good to go!

Hopefully it is just the photo making the dimensions look off.
The correct flashes are 5 inches long (minus the reflector and that insert of course).

Ok, the postman just delivered my Kobold. It's exactly 12,7cm long and not tapered at all. Mine has a knob where Lichtbringer's has a switch. It's real nice

ac88588a.jpg

3e628a7f.jpg

The missing Kobold logo and the knob do not bother me at all.

Strange thing, even the reflector-clamp that is often used as D-ring bracket is different.

Never seen such a version, maybe a slave unit?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back