Kill Bill sword......ok NOW we're getting somewhere!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jumpin Jax, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Someone's getting the idea, finally. A NICE looking sword, to boot.
    [​IMG]
    Carbon roazor-sharp blade(handmade from Masahiro, a respected maker, second to Paul Chen), all the proper sword furniture, an actual engraving of the lion, gunmetal guard, and the scabbard has the right friggin symbols, AND a gold braid....except :(
    No gold rails, caps and collars on the scabbard. But it's $139 and comes with a stand.......aw what the hell :)
    http://dragonsedge.biz/product_info.php/cP...3bf15438568b5ef
    About time.
    JJ

2. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey, the SWORD is accurate. That's worth it alone. :thumbsup

3. Sumatra

Sumatra Sr Member

Definately looks better than the SS crap that's out there.

Keep it oiled.

4. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Indeed... it does look good. I had one of those cheapo versions but I sold it amost immediately. Crap blade, plastic handle....

I just checked shipping for one of those to where I live (Sweden)... 144 freakin dollars... That's MORE than the darn sword costs. Add to that another 30% in taxes (on the TOTAL cost if I'm unlucky) and I might as well have one hand-forged here. (well... maybe not, but almost...) I HATE it when they use UPS. Both because of the prices and because of the service. :(

I sent them a message to see if they would make an exception and use USPS... we'll see what they say.

5. hound97

hound97 New Member

I was able to get one of those off ebay for $124 shipped.

6. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(joatrash @ Jun 15 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1261959[/snapback]</div>

Use a US middle man, like a board member here, i do it all the time and it has saved me a lot of money

cheers,

Marc

7. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not that I'm complaining, but doesn't that price sound too good to be true?
    I didn't think you could get any sort of quality carbon steel blade that size for so little, let alone a film replica. . .

:eek :confused :eek
    -Raj

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Jeeves @ Jun 15 2006, 07:11 AM) [snapback]1261996[/snapback]</div>
    You know the old saying, "If it sounds to good to be true..."

At that price you are going to be getting carbon steel that has been formed into the blade.

It will not be folded nor will it be tempered.

I like that Kat it is the closest I have seen to a Kill Bill Kat but it is strictly a wall-hanger.

9. Sumatra

Sumatra Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jeeves @ Jun 15 2006, 06:11 AM) [snapback]1261996[/snapback]</div>
    You'll probably get a sword with the same quality as a low end Paul Chen. Etched hamon, machine made horimono, cotton ito, foil wrapped plastic habaki. It should look good as a display sword, but I wouldn't use it for anything but looking at. Frankly, the fact that it's carbon steel just means that it's harder to take care of.

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Sumatra @ Jun 15 2006, 07:50 AM) [snapback]1262007[/snapback]</div>
    Scary is'nt it. ;) :lol

11. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

dose the blade go threw the grip of the sword? i dont want that glued in blad crap.

12. kimncris

kimncris Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Sumatra @ Jun 15 2006, 03:50 AM) [snapback]1262007[/snapback]</div>
    You'll probably get a sword with the same quality as a low end Paul Chen. Etched hamon, machine made horimono, cotton ito, foil wrapped plastic habaki. It should look good as a display sword, but I wouldn't use it for anything but looking at. Frankly, the fact that it's carbon steel just means that it's harder to take care of.
    [/b][/quote]

wait-what does one actually "use" a sword for nowadays? Home defense? Yard Work?

I think I'd prefer is it *wasn't* razor sharp. I'll probably just hurt myself.

-cris

13. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(kimncris @ Jun 15 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]1262093[/snapback]</div>
    Both - you never know when those killer weeds will try and overthrow your house. Or maybe pod people :lol

-Fred

14. JOATRASH FX

<div class='quotetop'>(hound97 @ Jun 15 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]1261987[/snapback]</div>
    So... how is it quality-wise? It says is has "real ray skin" in the handle... is it plastic or what? What is the little "loop" in the scabbard made of? In the cheapo-swords it was plastic.

15. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(joatrash @ Jun 15 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]1262134[/snapback]</div>
    So... how is it quality-wise? It says is has "real ray skin" in the handle... is it plastic or what? What is the little "loop" in the scabbard made of? In the cheapo-swords it was plastic.
    [/b][/quote]

Review. Review. Review. Let's hear it, Hound.
    JJ

16. Sumatra

Sumatra Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(kimncris @ Jun 15 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]1262093[/snapback]</div>
    Personally, I use them for Iaido. You can see some videos here: http://iai.whaleeaters.org/ and http://www.budoclub.ru/seitei.shtml

17. JOATRASH FX

Well, I just found one on the ol' Bay for 100 bucks. (There seem to be a few sellers offering it.) I got confirmation that the handle/pommel (apologies I don't know the proper name) is made out of wood and "real ray skin"... not plastic like the super-cheapo versions. I'll post a review in a week or so when I get it.

18. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(joatrash @ Jun 16 2006, 02:32 AM) [snapback]1262544[/snapback]</div>
    Having hear about this model on www.swordforums.com, I learned that Masahiro blades typically come with real tsuka and rayskin, it's the blade that isn't up to par with Chen, but the rest looks favorable. I plan to get one of these and see if the blade is bad enough to replace, although getting one with a good engraving will be a beast.
    JJ
    Edit:
    Checked ebay, and aside from the flaws you will always find in a pic taken a few feet away, this sucker looks to be what Bill fans are looking for. I post this auction for the honest close-up pics, not as a plug or denouncement of the seller.: http://cgi.ebay.com/KILL-BILL-BRIDES-HAND-...1QQcmdZViewItem
    The blade is very nicely polished, and by that I mean shaped and ground. The engraving is light but no one working less than a week on it will do it right. The habaki(collar) looks like brass-colored metal, but I could be wrong. The fittings look so very dead on I am pleased as punch. Ebay or whereever, I am buying this sucker.

19. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

20. JOATRASH FX

<div class='quotetop'>(Jumpin Jax @ Jun 16 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1262618[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly the sword I just bought. (from the same seller in fact) It has supposedly been shipped already (got the tracking no) so we'll see in a few days. :D

21. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Zaphod @ Jun 16 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]1262633[/snapback]</div>
    That's just an invite for RPF members (myself included) to go hitting ourselves in the faces or nuts.

22. b26354

b26354 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of these swords arrived today. It's a huge improvement on the cheapo ones. You'd probably be disappointed if you collected real samurai swords though but for a wall hanger it's OK. The little toolkit with hammers and dowells to disassemble it it a nice touch. The tang is also apparently engraved with a Hattori Hanzo signature.

It's also designed to be displayed correctly, i.e: handle on the left and blade facing up.

23. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

This looks great, but a few concerns:

1) PVC leather? Why not real leather for the handle? Is this replaceable?

2) The handle ornaments (sorry, I'm away from my sword books--menuke?)--are they cast metal? Some wall hangers, even very nice ones, use easily chipped plated plastic, which bites. If so, could better ones be cast?

3) Someone mentioned that the scabbard is missing some furniture? Can anyone post a pic?

4) Shame about the engraved temper line (hammon?), but since it would be for display, I can live with it.

5) Final concern--who's gonna buy me one? :lol

24. JOATRASH FX

I get mine tomorrow. Wohoo. Stay tuned.

25. BladeMasterFemme

BladeMasterFemme New Member

Thanks for the links. That seller has several swords I would like to get.

You guys are a bad influence. :D

26. OhioAstromech

OhioAstromech Well-Known Member

The Cat in the movie looks like it is made of a different metal and hammered into the blade instead of an engraving.
    Did anyone else notice this?

27. eegah

eegah Well-Known Member

So, did you get yours in the mail yet? I'd like to read your review of the sword. Thanks, Tom

28. JOATRASH FX

Sorry guys, I forgot all about this thread. The P.O. gave me the runaround for a few days. (Kudos to the seller, boo-hiss to the P.O. for not telling me what the problem was until the third day I called them.)

I can tell you that the sword is MUCH better than I expected for 100 bucks. It cannot compare to the cheapo $50 version of the sword. Also, the handle seems to be wrapped in real leather and not PVC. Now, I've never seen a "real", properly forged katana, so I can't say how good it is in comparison, but for a wall hanger this thing gets both of my :thumbsup :thumbsup

I would say it's as good as a UC WitchKing sword, but slightly inferior to a UC Anduril in quality.

/Joe F

<div class='quotetop'>(eegah @ Jun 29 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]1270621[/snapback]</div>

29. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

This is a collage of images showing what none of the replicas out there, from the crap to the $200 masahiro blades online can seem to capture. The golden edges are on the $200 blades but not the proper symbol. There seem to be no clear shots of it.
    [​IMG]
    QT dropped the ball on this one, talk about some prop cash.
    jj