Key to Hamunaptra <> 3.1 - WIP

I found your design on shapeways but it is only available in white plastic. Is it possible to print in metal?

I printed one flap in steel, and the spring wouldn't lift it. The plastic flap is 4 grams and the steel flap is 29 grams. It's just too great a difference in weight for the springs I'm using to flip it open properly.

Thanks for the info. I found this item and will probably purchase their version. ( https://www.tinkervise.com/collecti...ucts/key-to-hamunaptra-the-mummy-prop-replica ) I did see on another thread that you had the Hamunaptra maps at one point. Are the maps available for purchase or something? maybe the file?

The link you show is $500 for ABS plastic. It says bronze fill is $700.

The sample he shows is not cleaned up well at all. As has been said elsewhere, if someone's going to offer 3D printing, it should be properly filled and sanded.

Thanks for the info. I found this item and will probably purchase their version. ( https://www.tinkervise.com/collecti...ucts/key-to-hamunaptra-the-mummy-prop-replica ) I did see on another thread that you had the Hamunaptra maps at one point. Are the maps available for purchase or something? maybe the file?

The map is by DD28 and is here : https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=73773&page=3&highlight=hamunaptra+map

As to the link you provided, I gave that specific guy my 3D Hamunaptra key files back when my key wasn't fully functional. He used the files to make a fully functional version. His mechanism is different than mine. But, I'm not impressed with his pictures. He needs to make a cleaner version. Especially for that price.

It should, therefore, be mentioned that he did not give me credit for giving him my design on his website.

Last edited:
I figured you might recognize it. Thanks for all that info. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still thinking about my potions...

Thanks for the map thread!

I actually got a 3D printer for Christmas, I just haven't gotten around to doing much with it. But I've heard high metal content in the filament is extremely hard to work with.

I like your solution. The basic mechanical movement is very familiar. Good job!

Thank you !

Are you really the guy that did the original ?

That was so awesome ! I came along and simplified it in a way that it could be easily 3D printed and assembled by a normal person. I heard the original was tougher to assemble.

Thank you !

Are you really the guy that did the original ?

That was so awesome ! I came along and simplified it in a way that it could be easily 3D printed and assembled by a normal person. I heard the original was tougher to assemble.

It is indeed I. The original had far too many parts. I often thought about building up a 3D model to re work the design but, obviously, never got around to it. I imagine I would have made very similar design decisions.

Do you have any plans to offer your version for sale again in the near future?
I’ve thought about it. Saying any more in this thread would be inappropriate.

Last edited:
It is indeed I. The original had far too many parts. I often thought about building up a 3D model to re work the design but, obviously, never got around to it. I imagine I would have made very similar design decisions.

Even though I didn't duplicate your mechanical parts, I could not have made my design without your key as a guide.

Thank you.

Almost done! (waiting on that one part). The flaps are still kinda sticky but working them helps them pop open. It's beautiful with Rub N Buff and easily assembled.

Started with black Rub N Buff and made sure to get it into all the details, nooks, and crannies. I then went over it with the Golf Leaf RNB, used Eurpoean Gold, Antique Gold, and Grecian Gold to add in variety of color and age. I went in with an Ex-Acto to get some of the gold back out of the details again so that the black beneath showed up but more muted than before. I'll post the finished image soon because I am still detailing some of it.
key1.jpg
key4.jpg
key3.jpg
key2.jpg

Last edited:
Paint job is officially done and dry so these are the final product! The first layer is black, then different golds. I did black-gold smudges for a more aged look. It doesn't open smoothly just yet, I am waiting on some model lube to get the pieces moving. Two fit quite snug so it doesn't pop open. I'll keep you all posted on how the lubricant works.
key2.jpg
key1.jpg
key3.jpg
key4.jpg

Yep, each piece was all black before I layered the gold on, I made sure black got into all the details really well. It kept the hieroglyphs looking nice and dark while also giving a more brassy than gold look. It hid the plastic beneath as well because black covers better than gold. The gold covered really well so I had to add in more black on top of it to keep the key looking ancient and used. I polished it to a nice shine. I think it turned out really well and it will be used this weekend in a cosplay. I'll post pics!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back