zenx13

"Hey, You Guys!"

I have always enjoyed The Goonies film and Copper Bones Skeleton Key is a really awesome prop. After the success with my Indiana Jones: Raven Saloon Staff of Ra Headpiece I decided I wanted to make the Bones Skeleton Key from scratch in a similar fashion.

I know there is quite the controversy regarding the "real" one and what is the accurate look and feel. After researching I decided to go with a 6 inch version using the Paragon replica as a main reference - from there, details will be adjusted based on screen grabs from the film.

Step 1

Printing out the reference photo to scale and tracing it to MDF that will be used as the backside of the prop.

IMG_7655_edited.JPG

Step 5

Development of the top relief - cutting the master out then tracing the shape onto the top slice.

01.JPG
02.JPG

Step 7

Making the markings with: Pen, exacto blade and deepened with a pencil. Filing all the inner edges.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Step 8

Adhering the 3 slices with "foam safe" CA Glue and sanding of the outside edge - it is looking pretty good!

01.JPG
02.JPG

Step 10

The prop was sanded and base painting with Mod Podge hard coat tinted black.

01.JPG
02.JPG

Last edited:
Step 11

"Dabbing" PVA glue on sides and back to give a metal-like texture to those areas - then re-painting black.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Step 14

A couple of quick screen grabs from the movie to make sure to loop the leather lashing through the bottom correctly and try to get a similar knot.

01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

For a light weight wearable CON going Goonies prop, it's cool. Can you imagine trying to wear a solid copper one for the whole convention? Yeah, foam all the way is going to save your neck.

For a light weight wearable CON going Goonies prop, it's cool. Can you imagine trying to wear a solid copper one for the whole convention? Yeah, foam all the way is going to save your neck.
Ha ha - yeah a full metal one would be crazy. I am glad I added the washers and nuts though - it does give it some weight so it doesn't feel it is made out of foam.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back