Justice League

There is one property that was my favorite in the 90's that would be a BLAST to write the script for...

While all this serious DCU is happening, they need their "Guardians of the Galaxy"... and that it "Justice League Europe"...

Straight up comedy...

Also, Aquaman was pretty boring to me. Seems like all he did was show off his contacts and stare blankly. Hopefully he is better in the movie than this.

This is Jason Momoa we're talking about, if you're hoping for a nuanced performance from then you're going to be disappointed. From his role on Stargate Atlantis on all he's played is the big, brooding strong guy who grunts and growls a lot. Near as I can tell, he's a one trick pony and I expect his Aquaman to be a variation on Rono, Conan, or Kahl Drogo.

Also seemed like every shot in the trailer was in the dark and gritty motif. Granted as a trailer it's a small snippet, but still dark.

Miller seemed fine, but wasn't a fan of the suit.

I can't agree with this. I'll get told 'you where going into this not liking this.. we get it'. ;o)

But, what the hell, I agree with this because they ARE rushing it. they don't understand any character minus batman, be cause they are too busy trying to 'adult' these characters and make them 'modern' rather than exploring the fun of what they are like Marvel is doing. and you don't have to copy marvel to do that.

I'm shocked DC hasn't done a light hearted Captain Marvel movie yet..but he wouldn't fit in too well to the murderverse.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make this a strong film, but having to use Marvel as an example in this instance, Had Avengers come out first or only 1-2 origins films with many star characters only being introduced in Avengers I really wouldn't have cared much for them. I just wouldn't have had as much of a connection with them as I did post solo films.

Honest truth I really was not a big Thor, Captain America, or Iron Man fan before the MCU. Entering in at a time of the Avengers wouldn't have been very exciting. Having gotten introduced to them the way they did in their own stories made me very excited to see them as a team finally. I do believe when you are getting into Superhero films each character is pretty unique and has a story. You just can't do so much in one film with a bunch of heroes battling screen time while trying to fight this common enemy their trying to take down and expect people are just going to know them by the end of the film. And you don't have to start it from the very very beginning. Just tell a compelling story about the one character before having them thrown into the team function.

One could argue that everyone and their grandmother know who Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman are, probably Aquaman vaguely, and the flash had some spotlight from the show. The only one the GA may have never heard about is Cyborg. Which wasn't the case before Marvel Studio took off ! While it would be nice to have solo movies prior to team ups, DC heroes are iconic enough that they can get away with it.

Why am I getting a 'silverhawks leader' vibe from cyborg? didn't he have a head piece like that?

Commander Stargazer. Yep. Here's Cyborg the way he looked when he debuted in 1980:

cyborg_612x380_0.jpg

And here's Stargazer from when the Silverhawks debuted five years and change later:

silverhawks_L21.jpg

--Jonah

Yeah, sorry but that's not gonna speak to a lot of people... Like at all... Getting Momoa is actually a pretty smart move, he's not an especially good actor, but he's got the badass vibes needed so people — and by people I mean those who don't know that Aquaman, Namor, and MermaidMan from Spongebob are not in fact the same character — like him, or at least respect him.
I'd agree with you if we were introduced to him via solo film, but we're seeing him in JL first. Aquaman is no one's selling point, especially with Batman, the Flash, and Wonder Woman already present. We have a two-hour-long feature that, from the footage released, gives us time to delve into the characters. That time could get people interested in seeing him again, especially seeing that he's more than just "that superhero that talks to fish". All we have now is a barbarian guy who I wouldn't want to see as a center character.

And yet their solo films are coming. I dont get why so many want to have solo films first before an ensemble. We got wonder woman introduced to us before her solo film yet it was one of the highlights and din't scream out anything regarding not knowing anything about her or her origins. So who's to say we will not have the same effect with the other heroes. They will have their part in the justice league movie only to further delve into the character in a solo movie.

I'd agree with you if we were introduced to him via solo film, but we're seeing him in JL first. Aquaman is no one's selling point, especially with Batman, the Flash, and Wonder Woman already present. We have a two-hour-long feature that, from the footage released, gives us time to delve into the characters. That time could get people interested in seeing him again, especially seeing that he's more than just "that superhero that talks to fish". All we have now is a barbarian guy who I wouldn't want to see as a center character.

A barbarian that makes a journey to presumably his home village each year at the Kingtide to feed his people there and help out...so you're not interested in the character because of how he looks?

Look, I'm not saying that they've nailed the character, we have no idea yet. We won't until late next year. But we already know just from these clips that he's connected to humanity despite belonging to the ocean. It also looks like he asks Batman to talk before he gets angry with him, so he's not a straight up Barbarian. He's not afraid to threaten someone for pushing him too far, and he's strong. That sounds like the GJ aquaman to me...he just looks different. And to be fair, if he got a hair cut/shave, and it was slightly lighter, he could look quite comic book accurate too if they wanted to do that, with the blue eyes etc. I like this look though. It feels like a unique character in this world.

And yet their solo films are coming. I dont get why so many want to have solo films first before an ensemble. We got wonder woman introduced to us before her solo film yet it was one of the highlights and din't scream out anything regarding not knowing anything about her or her origins. So who's to say we will not have the same effect with the other heroes. They will have their part in the justice league movie only to further delve into the character in a solo movie.

Seems their belief is that not many people are likely to see solo flicks for the likes of flash, aquaman, cyborg, etc without getting to know them in the overall JL first. That might be true as well. Furthering that, i don't know that everyone needs a solo flick either. Just because it's working for marvel (unless you're name is black widow or hawkeye) doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Personally, i think it's a matter of they're trying to put the biggest money makers first. And there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. If there's a super hero bubble that will eventually burst - it'll hit DC much much earlier in their pipeline than marvel who's already like 8 years into it.

Had a thought about the Flash and his current lightning, well more of a wishful idea : currently we see that whenever Barry taps into the speedforce, it starts acting up by throwing tescla arcs-like lightning around him, which are white-blue, like real electric arcs, and actually impact his surroundings, which I imagine is not ideal. I love the concept behind it, but I thought it would be cool if his next suit manage to tame the lightning to minimise the impact of it, and makes it yellow in the process, as a by-product.
That way, Reverse Flash, when he shows up inevitably in a future movie, purposely uses the same technology to make his lightning red, and if Zoom ever shows up, he just leaves it like this, in its aggressive white blue state, because he doesn't give a damn if his lightning causes mayhem around him, that would even be bonus point.

Wow.... DC just can't get anything right.

They look so bad. The Flash suit and Cyborg are just awful. Do they even read the comics or watch the animated shows.

The music in the trailer is stupid.

No sign of Green Lantern. Only the ones Luthor had files on. I guess Bruce's detective abilities are limited to stealing information someone else did the leg work on.

Lame lame lame.

POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR JL

So the latest on the rumour mill is that Cyborg is involved directly in bringing Superman back. Considering we've got almost nothing on the backstory of Cyborg so far, other than his literal creation, the fact he is part Motherbox - I'm rather interested at the idea.

They have a lot of range with the Motherbox technology (I hope they don't go too freelance with it, that could be a nightmare if it becomes a catch all solution) because its very vague at the moment. If it is a living computer, then thats going to be interesting.

I believe the rough outline of the rumour is that Cyborg detects Superman's heartbeat and then figures out that he is in a coma etc. Then brings him to Star Labs, and hooks him up to a sunlight generator of sorts.

Above, rumour.

Below, conjecture as I like thinking about how things might go down.

I actually really like this idea. I can see Cyborg being someone that perhaps appreciated the idea of Superman while he existed (we've been shown that some of the public were shocked at the burning effigies, and that the public mourned his death) and looked up to him. Now that I'm thinking about it, it would be brilliant if Superman had saved Cyborg at some point - just a fly by save, nothing major - perhaps from a car crash...and that would be a nice little "Superman was there for me, why arent you, Dad?" type arrangement with his father, to keep that relationship accurate. Then the accident, then the transformation. After that, recruitment by Bats.

At some point after this, I think a nice reflective part of Cyborg journey would be to visit Clarks grave (I'm going to assume at this point that the JL are informed about transpired events, as there would be no need to hide that from them?) in Smallville when he is looking for a way to handle being different - kind of a "how did you handle being so different to them?" type appeal, as he pays his respects. Just before he leaves...thump thump. His technology registers the heartbeat, just once. It doesn't happen again, but he is suspicious. He disconnects a small part of his new arm, and plants it near the grave, a remote sensor. Later in the film he confesses to the Flash that he doesn't think Superman is dead, and they decide not to tell the others in case they are wrong. The remote sensor picks up another heartbeat some point during the second act, and they decide they have to tell Bruce and Diana, and Lois. They agree to have his body moved to Star Labs, and Cyborg retrofits a machine there to harness and concentrate yellow sun radiation based upon his readings. The third act begins and the major battle is going down, everyone is called away. Critical moment in the battle, things are looking bleak, and we cut back to Star Labs, Superman, slightly longer black hair, unshaven, floating in a fluid that is brightly lit with golden radiation and wearing a Cyborg fashioned solar suit...perhaps with a silver S...his eyes snap open (no heat vision)

Depending on where the lab is, he could be within hearing range of the big battle under in the sewers perhaps? In which case, he wakes up, hears the battle and just BOOMS down into the ground, and burrows his way to the battle (a nice little comic Superman thing we haven't seen in the DCEU yet!).

I have of course massively embellished with my own ideas there. But overall, interested to see peoples thoughts on Cyborg being central to Supermans return. I think it could link in nicely with Cyborgs arc in the film.

So why didnt the government try to cut up Superman? I think them burying Supes is a bit harder to believe. I'd be trying to cut a bitch

Does Star Labs count as the government?

Superman, slightly longer black hair, unshaven, floating in a fluid that is brightly lit with golden radiation and wearing a Cyborg fashioned solar suit...perhaps with a silver S

What chance Bruce or Cyborg know where the Fortress is? I'd almost like to see a late-'80s-reboot Kryptonian bodysuit, as a nod to prior iterations, but without comment (beyond maybe Cyborg mentioning he could only go so far with what he had, he needed to see if he could get it to go further with some of the stuff he found on Zod's ship or confiscated from Lex or from Superman's Fortress). But one of these sorts of things (minus the tabard in the second image):

Action-Comics-Vol.-1-689-1993.jpg

Jor-El02.jpg

No House glyph, though. I think that'd be a bit too derivative.

--Jonah

So why didnt the government try to cut up Superman? I think them burying Supes is a bit harder to believe. I'd be trying to cut a bitch

Does Star Labs count as the government?

hahaha. It was Lexcorp that owned the "xeno-mineral" - and then Batman who stole the largest chunk available. I imagine the only stuff left that existed is either held in organisations that Lex still has power over (no way did he end up in prison without back ups, he was shown to be ridiculously forward thinking in this universe) - I doubt the government at large has access to any. I would imagine Argus (and Waller) perhaps would have access.

But then also, the government doesn't know Superman's identity - they don't know where he is buried. They couldn't access his body if they wanted to, and I have to imagine that Bruce has now put some form of safeguards in place to protect Clarks legacy and secret (he has access to satellites, as shown in Man of Steel) etc.

They've also had Zods body all this time - would there be a narrative need for Superman to be dissected etc.

I don't think its hard to believe. He was a public hero who is known to have sacrificed himself for the world - quite hard to smear a hero who has done that now. There will still be dissenters and haters of aliens and stuff though of course.

Not to say the government won't try and find the body though!

I think I've nicely answered that question. ;)

What chance Bruce or Cyborg know where the Fortress is? I'd almost like to see a late-'80s-reboot Kryptonian bodysuit, as a nod to prior iterations, but without comment (beyond maybe Cyborg mentioning he could only go so far with what he had, he needed to see if he could get it to go further with some of the stuff he found on Zod's ship or confiscated from Lex or from Superman's Fortress). But one of these sorts of things (minus the tabard in the second image):

http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Action-Comics-Vol.-1-689-1993.jpg
http://spider-bob.com/cast/dc/images/Jor-El02.jpg

No House glyph, though. I think that'd be a bit too derivative.

--Jonah

Yeah I'd love something like that to be honest. I think a lot of people would freak out if it wasn't the black suit with the S (although this could morph, as you say - plenty of tech available)

I'm now reconsidering what I'd love to see. I think the "eyes snap open, immediately help out" angle is a bit old maybe. Perhaps I'd actually love to see a few scenes where Lois is by his tank side, sleeping at the lab because she's just hoping he'll wake up. And we could have an emotional moment where she's almost giving up hope again, and his hand gently presses against the glass within the liquid, and he has a rebreather on (like in the animated show) - so we see his eyes slowly open to a squint, and he smiles with his eyes before falling unconcious again. We could then have Lois receiving a distress signal from Bats or Cyborg (broadcast to anyone that could help or something) that leads to Lois getting him out the chamber and then have that moment where he gathers his will before going into battle? I'm unsure on how I want it now. I want to construct the perfect scene in my head, which will suck because I'll set myself expectations haha.

Edit: There is no fortress in the DCEU. His fortress was the original ship that he found in MoS, which was Doomsdays birthing chamber etc which is now partially destroyed again.

There is no fortress in the DCEU. His fortress was the original ship that he found in MoS, which was Doomsdays birthing chamber etc which is now partially destroyed again.

I know. I refer to that ship as the Fortress, as it served the "inform Clark of his past and purpose" role the Fortress of Solitude had in the prior iteration. This, to distinguish it from the other Kryptonian ships in MoS -- the World Engine and Zod's Ship.

--Jonah

I know. I refer to that ship as the Fortress, as it served the "inform Clark of his past and purpose" role the Fortress of Solitude had in the prior iteration. This, to distinguish it from the other Kryptonian ships in MoS -- the World Engine and Zod's Ship.

--Jonah

Sorry! Makes sense to refer to it as that. I was still holding out hope when he went up into the mountains in BvS that we'd be teased with him moving a massive stone out of the way and entering a massive stalagmite/tite cave for his conversation with Pa Kent - that scene absolutely depicted the reason for the fortress existing at all, which is for Superman to have some down time, some time to reflect on things and keep his head above the water. Which is exactly what Clark did, in a very human way. I love that about the DCEU Superman. He takes things seriously, and he internalizes things that the audience gets to be privy to. So I sort of see that scene as the unofficial fortress - when Pa Kent says "Something isn't it. In Kansas, living on a pancake, so we come to the mountains. All downhill from here." encapsulates everything about the fortress of solitude without having to present us with the white crystals.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back