JURASSIC WORLD Owen Grady Costume

Flesh & Hide - JW Owen Grady Vest Initial Review

So I got my Grady vest in the mail from a company I found on amazon.com called Flesh & Hide. They make a lot of replica jackets and I decided to pull the trigger and buy the Grady Vest. I wanted to post some pics of it and my initial thoughts.
Firstly, I know it's not screen accurate and that is fine with me. It's pretty darn close so if total accuracy isn't a problem then it's more than acceptable. The big differences I see are the lack of a cinch-belt on the back, pocket layout on the lower left and the zipper goes a little higher up on the chest than his.
JWVest001.JPGJWVest002.JPG
It's made of lambskin leather with a satin liner. The materials seem pretty high quality to me and the stitching looks strong.
JWVest006.JPGJWVest010.JPGJWVest011.JPG
I wear a medium to large shirt and a 38/40 jacket so I purchased the medium as I didn't want it to be too baggy and it fits perfect. For reference I'm about 5'8" tall and 175lbs. My wife was pretty impressed and she's not easy to sell on most of my prop/costume purchases.
JWVest014.JPGJWVest028.JPG
I'm probably going to hit it with some rubbing alcohol to knock down the shine and weather it a bit using water, saddle soap and a conditioner. It's pretty light (but not in a cheap way) and the material is nice and supple so there isn't a ton of breaking in to do. I've never weathered leather before and I don't want to screw it up so I'll probably do it in small bits.
I know the original designer is making them for $750 a pop but that's way out of my price range. This one came in at around $160 before shipping which is much more reasonable. So, if 100% accuracy isn't a big deal and you don't have a ton to drop on it then I highly suggest this option. I'm def sold on Flesh & Hide products now and will probably look at some of their other replicas. I also plan on wearing this on a daily basis (not just for a costume) so I'll update down the road as I put some hours of wear on it. Mostly hiking around the woods studying birds and doing soil tests.
Heres a link to the amazon page.
Here's a link to Flesh & Hide's page.
I welcome any questions/comments (especially about weathering) or you can PM me. I'll put more photos up later in my profile.
Cheers,
~Joseph

Last edited:
My clicker arrived, here are some photos of it

Time to go and train a raptor!

Nice find. What did you pay for it? I've just got a cheap-o clicker that I got free with some dog training classes. I couldn't really see what kind he was using in the movie and it makes the noise so it'll work for now.
What did the paratroopers use them for?

Nice find. What did you pay for it? I've just got a cheap-o clicker that I got free with some dog training classes. I couldn't really see what kind he was using in the movie and it makes the noise so it'll work for now.
What did the paratroopers use them for?

It was about £20, I forget the exact number.

I'm pretty confident this is what in the film, you can even see the lanyard hole for a split second in one the scenes.

The paratroopers used them to find each other once they'd landed (in the dark). Originally though the clicker things were just a kids toy, but some clever person realised it'd be good for people to find each other in the dark.

These are the glasses I went with for Lowery. They came in and I'm really happy with them. They don't look/feel like the cheap fake hipster glasses you see at stores. Though his have the two dots on the temple as opposed to the classic Wayfarer/Clubmaster diamond. Not sure if that's a design element we'll be able to find in fake glasses but the search continues!

Also, if you're trying to do a truly screen accurate Lowery, here's a link to a temporary tattoo set of two fire hydrants! ;) Ordered this as well and it looks great.

Yeah I skimmed that first post and didn't noticed you talked to the production crew. Thanks for clarifying.

Regarding the Lowery shirt - here's some short b-roll of him on set: https://youtu.be/Z6hHqECe9x4?t=2m55s

Those baseball sleeves go up to the collar and might been seen on the shoulders here maybe. I don't know. I've seen Jurassic World 4 times and didn't notice any black on his shoulders, but then again I wasn't looking out for that specifically.

As for the JP logo that's its own discussion. I don't know where the "wonky" one originated but it definitely doesn't match the original '93 logo. Similar lettering was used on the Jurassic World maps and all merch, probably because those designs were needed early into production before they made the correction. The advance Jurassic World poster and everything later in production uses a corrected logo that matches the original '93 stuff.

Take a look at the logos on these two shirts. The left is a ringer I found online and the right is one being sold in the official Jurassic World store. Below them is the two logos layered ontop of each other with the top layer set at 50% opacity. The T-Rex, size and shape of everything matches perfectly between the two but the lettering between them is totally different. Not one letter on the right tee matches the old '93 logo of the left tee. When I said "wonky" this is what I was referring to.

Ah! You went LEGIT on it. haha. Didn't catch that with my naked eye on the lettering. Though for the time being, I'd prefer the vintaged logo baseball t over a solid logo ringer.

Speaking of which, does someone want to take a crack at recreate the vintaging (fading, weathering, etc.) on the classic JP logo for a SA Lowery shirt? There are already a number of custom shirt sites like Zazzle we could custom order the shirt from if we had a hi-res version of the logo. I'd do it but I'm not so great with Photoshopping! I just work here.

So now having seen the film a number of times, along with multiple photos from the costume displays, I feel we were off with the shirt color. Not to our own fault, as it appears as if heavy color correction to the the still photos released for the film made Grady's shirt appear more grey blue when in reality is is more light grey. Most modern film's go heavy on a lot of blue tone so that makes sense.

Chris Pratt i Jurassic World 2.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1434733288077.jpg

My Columbia Tamiami shirt looked spot on when I got it (it looks a lot bluer than it actually is IRL in my photos from opening night). It is what I believed to be the closest in color to SA but now it just feels way off. Unfortunately, with the Magellan Outdoors™ Men's Aransas Pass Mini Check Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt (the closest to SA in detail), they don't make a grey color. The 'Provence' Blue could have been easily dyed to get that grey blue color but I'm not sure if it could be dyed light grey. Someone else with more experience in dying and color combinations can weigh in on that. And that's the lightest color they make in that shirt so that's the best bet there. If it came in white our problems would be solved! They do make the Columbia Tamiami in white so dying that may be an option.

I've started looking at light grey outdoorsman, adventure and fishing shirts and while I have found a few that look right in color, they are far from correct in detail. As I've mentioned before though, you have the luxury of a lot of the shirt being covered up by the vest so there is that if you're not worried about accuracy.

Thank you to everyone for contributing to this thread! I am embarking on this costume in the coming weeks/months and all of your insights have been invaluable (particular shout out to Marty McPhly!).

Anyway, I wanted to post a little early update: I ordered the Jafrum vest directly from their website, as the Amazon listing only had size Small available when I last checked (it now seems to be completely sold out of everything) and it arrived today. It's a really nice vest! And the size Large fits me and my broad shoulders pretty perfectly. But there's an issue with the color (I think, at least).

Though the item listing on the Jafrum site uses the same photo as the Amazon page and the color is not specified in any way in the description and the Q&A section for that vest on the Jafrum website says (in response to the question "Is it black or brown?") that the vest is "retro brown", it definitely looks 100% black to me, under several different lights. I don't know if maybe Amazon was selling a different color (they both use the exact same photo and SKU) or if Marty got one from a different stock that looked more brownish or if I got one that was meant to be listed under "Black" or whatever but it definitely looks pure black to me.

It's not a HUGE problem, as Google has taught me that there are ways to alter black leather to look more brownish (which is okay, as I am going to weather this vest regardless), but I thought this detail might be of interest to anyone out there who doesn't want to put a lot of work into re-coloring the vest.

Last edited:
The Jafrum vest is indeed very dark and almost black as far as I can tell. Some photos I have taken have picked it up as a slight brown though. I still think it's one of the best options if you don't mind modding and because I never intend on spending hundreds of dollars on the vest.

I have been looking into the shirt some more. I noticed the color seemed a lot more in the spectrum of grey when those costume pictures came up but decided to focus on the movie appearance for times sake. I have found what is still not screen accurate, but a bit closer is ExOfficio the brand I used for my current shirt made a line of their fishing shirts with what they call "BugsAway" or "BuzzOff" material. It's got that nice woven texture to it but is NO where as pronounced as his. Barring that and the pocket flaps being sew over the body of the shirt, you can get pretty close. They make it in a "oatmeal" that I feel like you could run through a polyester suitable dye and get that slight blue hue to it. It's not SA and I doubt without the material being source we'll ever get there, but it's BETTER.

Picture for reference:

$_57.jpg

Here are a few hi-res set photos that show more of the shirt's (presumably) accurate color.

Attachments

• jurassic-world-bryce-dallas-howard-chris-pratt.jpg
    jurassic-world-bryce-dallas-howard-chris-pratt.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2,815
  • jurassic-world-colin-trevorrow-chris-pratt-bryce-dallas-howard.jpg
    jurassic-world-colin-trevorrow-chris-pratt-bryce-dallas-howard.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3,049
My plan is to get e grey base shirt and run it through a blue dye bath for a very short amount of time. I can get one cheap so I'm gonna give it a go. We'll report back.

Unfortunately, with the Magellan Outdoors™ Men's Aransas Pass Mini Check Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt (the closest to SA in detail), they don't make a grey color. The 'Provence' Blue could have been easily dyed to get that grey blue color but I'm not sure if it could be dyed light grey. Someone else with more experience in dying and color combinations can weigh in on that. And that's the lightest color they make in that shirt so that's the best bet there. If it came in white our problems would be solved! They do make the Columbia Tamiami in white so dying that may be an option.

I ordered the Magellan shirt in the light blue Provence color and while it's a nice shirt for a good price (very comfortable and lightweight!), I had two notes about it that some of you may be interested in:

1. It runs a little large, particularly in the shoulders. I typically wear a Large (or even XL) when it comes to button-up shirts but the Large size of the Magellan shirt saw both shoulder seams hanging over the edge of my shoulders by at least an inch.

2. There is a tiny printed sort of combination houndstooth/gingham pattern over the entire shirt (see my photo below) which is not visible in the website's pictures or honestly, even in person from more than five feet away. I guess that's why the product name includes the words "Mini Check". So, it's not super noticeable and probably wouldn't even show up in most photos but if you want a shirt that is a solid color and has more texture like the one in the film, maybe avoid this one.

Then again, if you want to get the Magellan shirt and dye/weather it anyway, the pattern may not ultimately really matter.

Attachments

• IMAG7263.jpg
    IMAG7263.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 272
SO I did a search for 'Grey Magellan Shirt' on ebay and found this version of the Aransas Pass (which is the closest to SA in detail I've been able to find right down to the pockets and hem that runs up to the collar but could never track it down in the right color)! It appears to be an older release of the shirt that they don't make anymore. Color looks close and it even appears to have a similar pattern to Grady's (though that could be the same houndstooth/gingham pattern Justin just mentioned). Will have to see when I get it in if it's a close match. It was only $15 so it was worth the gamble. If it works though, I'll be switching out the buttons and having it tailored!

$_57.JPG$_57-2.JPG$_57-1.JPG

Here's a few other outdoorsman/adventure/fishing shirts I've been able to find in similar gray colors that didn't have the details quite right:

Mountain Hardwear Canyon Shirt +: good color, matching buttons -: pockets are off

Sage Opala Guideshirt +: good color, has the hem up to the collar, -: the buttons would need to be switched out, the pockets are off

Columbia Silver Ridge Shirt +: good color, matching buttons -: pockets are off

Last edited:
That shirt you posted is a miniature check pattern though. Owen's shirt isn't patterned, it's just a very textured woven fabric.

Yep. I'm aware. Trust me...if you couldn't tell, I've studied Grady's shirt down to every detail! When I say pattern, I was referring to the texture of the fabric.

Overall the Aransas Pass is the most SA in detail anyone has been able to find and the color of the one I just found looks close. The mini check pattern could simply resemble the texture for the purpose of the cosplay similar to the Columbia Tamiami which has a nice, light grid pattern. It just gives the shirt some character like Grady's as opposed to it just being a solid shirt. They make several styles of the Aransas Pass shirt so I'm not sure if the pattern on the one I just ordered is the same minicheck pattern as the one Justin was referring to. Having not seen it in person yet, I can't be sure yet. We shall see. Will report back.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back