Announcement Junkyard Changes - ALL PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeeez..... Stopped selling on ebay because it's gotten more pricey with fees; Sideshow Freaks forum now charges with having to be a Premium Member to sell, now your site.
:-(

If I am not mistaken, Sideshow Freaks is using Panjo, a third party service that is now bundled with vBulletin. We looked at that option, but didn't like that it was all handled by a third party and didn't like their pay structure, so we just built our own software.

Mmm, 30 sales threads in two days time. Am I wrong if I think this is a lot less than in the old Junkyard? I didn't really keep track then, but it seemed to me that for sales threads appeared by dozens a day? Positive is that you can keep track of all sales threads now, but I hope that the negative isn't that a lot less is sold in the junkyard right now...

Again, keep in mind, this is a new process and there are wrinkles that are going to need to be ironed out. At the same time, let me be clear that we KNEW this would slow down the number of sales, but the question is; do you want quantity or quality?

Mmm, 30 sales threads in two days time. Am I wrong if I think this is a lot less than in the old Junkyard? I didn't really keep track then, but it seemed to me that for sales threads appeared by dozens a day? Positive is that you can keep track of all sales threads now, but I hope that the negative isn't that a lot less is sold in the junkyard right now...
You need to also remember that we split out runs and WTB from the Junkyard, so you have to look at the Project Runs forum as well. Also, there are still a bunch of FS threads in the Junkyard - Deprecated forum that Premium Members have going. They are still there because we can't just move them over as the formatting is different.

EDIT: Art already mentioned that there will never be the same quantity of items.

It is not against the rules to post a link to your personal webpage if it is relevant to the discussion, but we would prefer you did not advertise outside the junkyarrd.
Ok just for the time being until i become a premium membership. everyone on here is acting like 36 dollars is gonna kill them when in reality its cheaper than some magazine subscriptions and selling on ebay

Other remark: I see that only premium members can react in the WTB section. For some of the items that are asked there, I know some sources to help people out. It's a bit sad that I can't post this info there, even if it isn't info about something I sell myself.

OK, sorry for being a newb, but how do I "report" the threads?
No problem :)... at the bottom of every post you will see a bunch of links. You just click on the "Report Post" link (it has the little triangle with an exclamation point in it).

Sorry amazing how people are scrabbling now good grief this is why RPF did this its only getting better.. As a Wise man once said If you don't like it there's the Door...

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Looks really good. I like the format...understand the new guidelines. All good.

I did not read all the pages in this thread so forgive me if this was already mentioned/asked...

What other changes are in the works, feature wise?

One thing I would like to see is filters for price range, type of item, etc.

Example...say I want to filter by Star Trek, and keep it at a price range of $150.00 to $300.00.

So then you can limit your search on what type of item you want and the price you willing to pay.

Hell...even a filter to search for things by a certain seller!

That would be cool.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is there a way to add additional pics to a JY listing? I can edit the thread, but I don't see a way to add images.

Thanks,

If you aren't satisfied with your experience (as the majority of the membership is) why are you still hanging around?

.....Like the new photobucket, theRPF changed from an enjoyable experience to a necessity to be tolerated. And like photobucket, I find I'm using theRPF as little as possible.

I feel the same way Pennausamike Mike does except you can add a few to that list such as Ebay, Paypal, USPS web site, etc

I find that I spend far less time on this forum, and other forums then I used to.

I have read the various pros and cons about charging memberships fees and how it can be cheaper then ebay.

However, no one has mentioned that this premise is based on only paying premium membership fees on this forum.

I am a member of multiple forums and I post regularly on many of them.

2 forums, (RPF and SideShow Freaks) have recently implemented a $30 premium membership fee to sell and I’m sure my Gun forum will institute this very soon.

So what I am trying to say is that in the context of this forum, $30 per year isn’t bad, but I’m not going to pay $30 a year to sell on every forum I‘m a member of, which is where I see this going.

I know for a fact that when SSFs did this a couple months ago sales dropped off big time and have not picked back up.

But I digress

I have 3 projects/runs that were moved back to the deprecated Junkyard.

Why did this happen are they in danger of disappearing?

http://www.therpf.com/f84/han-solo-rotj-blaster-active-project-205278/

http://www.therpf.com/f84/denix-mauser-group-last-run-till-next-summer-205949/

http://www.therpf.com/f84/denix-mgc-mauser-wood-grips-30-per-set-run-re-opened-15-sets-202616/

I also noticed that the Project Run Forum guidelines state that "This forum is NOT intended for research or ongoing discussion."

So where do you post Active Projects?

I also have a question about format.

Is it possible to have the “List / Galley” option that ebay uses

IMO the Galley format ( the way it is now) feels very crammed and confusing where as the list format seems more logical and in my case it is easier to follow.

You have a picture to the right , a Title that can be larger and on a single and a line of text for additional info below that.
A forum I use named Glock Talk does this and is seems to be easier to follow.

Another issue is Yard Sale Type Threads are no longer an option so when I do my spring cleaning and decide to sell 30 items I will have to create 30 listings, which will really clutter up things

BTW: Several of the smaller forums I use have gone to this new "classifieds" format and they choose to not charge members to sell on those forum so guess charging

Last edited:
Reactions: yt
Looks really good. I like the format...understand the new guidelines. All good.

I did not read all the pages in this thread so forgive me if this was already mentioned/asked...

What other changes are in the works, feature wise?

One thing I would like to see is filters for price range, type of item, etc.

Example...say I want to filter by Star Trek, and keep it at a price range of $150.00 to $300.00.

So then you can limit your search on what type of item you want and the price you willing to pay.

Hell...even a filter to search for things by a certain seller!

That would be cool.

I like these ideas, but this type of feature probably wouldn't come out until a third revision. Right now, we are compiling a list of things that are missing to create functionality. A search like you are talking about would be VERY useful, but would also be complicated and expensive, which means it would probably be down the road a bit as we need to recover from the cost of this and the cost of revision 2.

The ability to mark items "On Hold" or "Remove". Just marking them "Sold" could be a problem. People are not checking the threads in the item so you might get many requests for something that is on hold or needed to be removed for some reason. Showing something "Sold" when really it just needed to be removed temporarily can cause problems and looks odd. Sold and then back, etc, etc.

Just a suggestion.

Love the new JY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ability to mark items "On Hold" or "Remove". Just marking them "Sold" could be a problem. People are not checking the threads in the item so you might get many requests for something that is on hold or needed to be removed for some reason. Showing something "Sold" when really it just needed to be removed temporarily can cause problems and looks odd. Sold and then back, etc, etc.

Just a suggestion.

Love the new JY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure I follow in regard to temporarily removing an item. The way the system works now is that an item is removed 45 days after it is marked as sold. Why so long? A seller has 15 days to ship and we assume an item can get to just about anywhere in the world in three weeks, so if there is any question about the item when the buyer receives it, the thread still exists.

Can you give some examples of what you are thinking of in terms of marking an item as being on hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back