Announcement Junkyard Changes - ALL PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment, PayPal is our only option. However, enough members have asked for an alternative, that we are looking into what is available.

Just wondering....are members being forced to use Paypal? Some including myself hate Paypal with a passion and avoid it like the plague. Another reason I rarely use Evilbay.

Not really sure how to answer that. Credit card accounts can be set up, cashiers check, money order, personal check, COD?

We can look into direct credit card transactions, but I don't like that because it means we have your credit card information and honestly, we don't want to deal with the security measures that would be needed for that.

Money orders or anything paper is simply out due to the logistics of it on our end (it is just me!).

Really don't know...just don't like reading all the nightmares honest sellers have to go thru with scammers that paypal always seems to side with and tired of paying fees everywhere I turn nowadays. I just loathe the company and adding to their bottom line by paying their fees. I know some are going to say that doesn't ensure protection for the buyer but for the few sales I make a year, paying more out of pocket money to companies like paypal just isn't worth it to me. I know theres no real clear solution to this even though I myself have no intention of cheating anyone but unfortunately there seems to be more dishonest scammers out there looking for an easy buck than honest people.
My question still stands.... "are we forced to use paypal for all sales?" ......if not then theres several RPF members I've dealt with and trust to take an alternate form of payment from.....so do we have that option?.....again, just wondering........Art?

Again, let me look into what else is possible, but at the moment, PayPal is it.

I have a question, if I have threads in the old junkyard, does it require me to buy a premium membership to be able to continue selling said items, or am I able to finish selling those first?

We will slowly be pruning threads from the old junkyard and plan to have it deleted completely in 60 days, so you can continue existing sales there for now, but we are only doing that so current sales can be finished up. Any new sales will require a Premium Membership.

My screen goes white when I try to go into the new junkyard, what am I doing wrong? I see people are posting in there every day

We can look into direct credit card transactions, but I don't like that because it means we have your credit card information and honestly, we don't want to deal with the security measures that would be needed for that.

Money orders or anything paper is simply out due to the logistics of it on our end (it is just me!).

Again, let me look into what else is possible, but at the moment, PayPal is it.

There are several very safe and reputable money transfer companies online nowadays (eg Nocheck etc), and an Amazon / Google account can also be used.

... believe it or not :lol

add - stop messing with name colours, it makes me dizzy :darnkids

Items to check on regarding the New Junkyard:

• Stop OP from bumping a thread more than once every 24 hours

Sadly, at this point, it still is just an honor system and I am not sure how we could get around that from a technical standpoint, BUT I am putting it on the list of things to go over with the programmer to see if that is even possible to do from the software side.

I think this is literally impossible to do via software. Seller needs to reply at any time to any question he is asked.

The only solution is to give Armando a club and make him the bump mod :lol

Wait... He's not already? :lol

Better officially though :

"Go ahead, make my day."

hqdefault.jpg

:lol

How do those of us who have current FS and INT runs in the now depreciated JunkYard get them moved to the new project funs? I've PM'd Art, but I'm not sure that's the right person (I'm sure he's swamped)

- - - Updated - - -

We will slowly be pruning threads from the old junkyard and plan to have it deleted completely in 60 days, so you can continue existing sales there for now, but we are only doing that so current sales can be finished up. Any new sales will require a Premium Membership.

I've bought a premium membership, how do I get my current FS and INT threads moved from the old JunkYard to the new project runs?

I have a suggestion for those wanting to sell a few things during the year where the money involved isn't worth paying for premium membership just to make a few bucks on small items. How about letting non-premium members sell something under a certain amount of money perhaps allowing a given number of times each year......5 - 7 times maybe? Set a selling value limit and sales per year limit...after that you can't sell anything else till you become a premium member. That will allow someone wanting to perhaps sell some parts or small items, model kits, toys or other inexpensive items for under a certain amount of money that would otherwise not bother because it isn't worth paying for a premium membership.........just an idea. What do you think Art?

I think this is literally impossible to do via software. Seller needs to reply at any time to any question he is asked.

Actually that's not how it works. I have seen it with other forum software and it does not allow the OP to have 2 consecutive posts in less than a specific time. This allows the OP to respond to posts.

How do those of us who have current FS and INT runs in the now depreciated JunkYard get them moved to the new project funs? I've PM'd Art, but I'm not sure that's the right person (I'm sure he's swamped)
Just report the first post of the threads that you want moved. Please remember to mention what prefix should be on the thread (INT, LTD RUN, UNLTD RUN)

Actually that's not how it works. I have seen it with other forum software and it does not allow the OP to have 2 consecutive posts in less than a specific time. This allows the OP to respond to posts.

Didn't know that, Good to know :thumbsup

Sorry Armando, I tried to get you a fluffy hammer but failed :lol

Yeah, i thought about that. If you take away a person's ability to post to their for sale thread it also takes away their ability to answer questions about said item.
The way I see it, there are only three options:

1. Continue the way we're currently going but I think we can all agree this doesn't work very well as some feel they are above the rules.
2. Like Alan said, bring on a JY mod just to babysit and watch for such things. (no, NOT me! :lol)
3. Set it up so that the system only allows sellers to post once in a 24 hour period in their threads. If anyone has questions, they can send the asking party a PM with the answer and wait until the 24 hour timeclock is up and answer and questions openly while bumping their thread. Personally, I think this is the way to go. It won't hurt their sale as if anyone wants the product badly enough they will send a PM. It's only 24 hours. It may be a little inconvenient but it keeps sellers from overbumping. Consider it the cost of doing business.

It is!

Glad we could help!

Oh look!
I STILL can't make the multi-quote work, either.
I check the box, but to no avail.

But no, I can't agree that a line of little pictures down one side of a screen
and the remaining 4/5ths of my screen being a gigantic black space is "better".

I also can't agree that 4 little pictures (assuming you can't link to a picture host like photobucket) is "better".
Look at my ad here,
http://www.fireflyprops.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=996&p=15601#p15601
as an example of where I would be hard pressed to feel that modifying it to fit the new CLASSIFIED format
is in any way, "better".

I totally don't get this rule
PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO CLASSIFIED FORUMS THREADS.
Posting links to sales/project runs/interest threads are only allowed in the WANT TO BUY forum - NOWHERE ELSE ON THE SITE.
I'm more familiar with people building something in the builder section of the forum,
finding there is interest in a thing they have made,
and then posting a link to the appropriate junkyard thread.
Not being able to do that is not "better" to me.

I have never agreed with the one bump every 24 hours rule,
so the fact that you haven't made a morning and night bump acceptable
means the new CLASSIFIED section is no better than the Junkyard in that regard, either.

Finally, I don't like the changes made to the RPF.
Too busy, too cluttered and, too bright and too bland at the same time. (HOW is that even possible...and yet here it is...)
It doesn't fit my screen, work on my computer, suit my taste or work well with my vision.
The fact that is largely un-modify-able tells me it is your way or the highway.
Like the new photobucket, theRPF changed from an enjoyable experience to a necessity to be tolerated.
And like photobucket, I find I'm using theRPF as little as possible.
I never say never, but I really don't see myself paying a premium member fee
for a thing that has been changed in many, if not most, of the ways that made it of value in the first place.
These latest changes to the Junkyard, creating yet another format change (maybe theRPF could be named Propbook)
are not "better" in any way 'cept one.

So, you're welcome for your help in saving me time and money by scratching one more internet site off my,
"wow that was fascinating; where does the time go?" , list.

Thanks,
Mike

Look three posts up and you will see multi-quote working just fine... but all you needed to do was to create a thread in the Site Support forum and we would have happily helped you resolve any problems that you were having. It really seems that you just stored that little frustration up over time so that you could let it loose at a completely unrelated moment.

As to the no Junkyard links outside the Junkyard, well that's been the rule for at least 3 years if not longer, so not exactly sure where that is coming from either. You must have missed the Junkyard Guidelines thread was stuck at the top of the Junkyard for the last few years as well as the announcement that was there above the forum. So again, another issue you seem to have a problem with that is unrelated to the new Junkyard.

Whether you are aware of it or not, these changes are not something that Art just sat around and dreamed up, he/we have been listening to the members and most of what you see is a direct result of their questions/concerns/feedback over the years.

Also, have you not seen the questions and suggestions that have already been posted in this thread and the fact that Art has started a list of possible revision and changes going forward. From the tone of your posts I would say that you haven't or at least have no interest in such things as you just want to vent.

Look three posts up and you will see multi-quote working just fine...
but all you needed to do was to create a thread in the Site Support forum and we would have happily helped you resolve any problems that you were having.
It really seems that you just stored that little frustration up over time so that you could let it loose at a completely unrelated moment.

The multi-quote doesn't work fine on either of the two (admittedly dinosaurs) computers I have access to.
I tried to resolve a number of issues when the re-vamp first hit, but none of the help, helped.
The moment isn't unrelated; I had lapsed into moribund acceptance of the revamp,
when the junkyard was changed to the CLASSIFIEDS, prompting my input.

As to the no Junkyard links outside the Junkyard, well that's been the rule for at least 3 years if not longer, so not exactly sure where that is coming from either.
You must have missed the Junkyard Guidelines thread was stuck at the top of the Junkyard for the last few years
as well as the announcement that was there above the forum.
So again, another issue you seem to have a problem with that is unrelated to the new Junkyard.

If that is the case, then the scenario I have mentioned has happened outside the rules.
And like the 24 hour bump, I don't think they are good rules.

Whether you are aware of it or not, these changes are not something that Art just sat around and dreamed up,
he/we have been listening to the members and most of what you see is a direct result of their questions/concerns/feedback over the years.

And, with the attitude filter off, you'll see that I made a number of suggestions in my post.
Ya'll can certainly choose to ignore them
(don't like the little boxes, don't like the picture format, feel it is legit to link from a build thread to a FS thread, think bumping twice a day is a good idea,
feel that the obtrusive busy-ness of the site overall has now filtered into the CLASSIFIEDS as well)
but everything I offered COULD be taken as constructive criticism.

Also, have you not seen the questions and suggestions that have already been posted in this thread
and the fact that Art has started a list of possible revision and changes going forward.

I'll certainly check back to see if the changes to the change suit my web browsing expectations.
Hey, theRPF and Facebook are the largest entities in their respective fields of endeavor;
your goals are certainly (understandably) about satisfying the masses, not the minority.

From the tone of your posts I would say that you haven't or at least have no interest in such things as you just want to vent.

OK, just go with that, then.

Mike

If you aren't satisfied with your experience (as the majority of the membership is) why are you still hanging around?

Jeeez..... Stopped selling on ebay because it's gotten more pricey with fees; Sideshow Freaks forum now charges with having to be a Premium Member to sell, now your site.
:-(

Mmm, 30 sales threads in two days time. Am I wrong if I think this is a lot less than in the old Junkyard? I didn't really keep track then, but it seemed to me that for sales threads appeared by dozens a day? Positive is that you can keep track of all sales threads now, but I hope that the negative isn't that a lot less is sold in the junkyard right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back