Announcement Junkyard Changes - ALL PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of right now I'm seeing 16 thumbnails for "for sale" items, am I viewing this correctly? Sometimes I'd have to go through a few pages of items for sale to browse through everything. I'm assuming these are the only premium members selling? I just want to make sure I'm not being dense and overlooking something.

Nope, I think you are spot on.

I'm wondering what will happen with the "Tell us what XXX owes you..." threads? There are a few threads to keep up with sellers that still owe quite a lot of people here money or props. Will these be lost within two monts? In this case the RPF more or less "clears the reputation" of some sellers who screwed over a lot of people here. That would be a shame...

I'm also afraid that with making the junkyard only available for premium members, a lot of RPF-members will not post there sale's here anymore and will turn to eBay. I do understand that the RPF has to make money to stay in the air, but I don't know if a lot of people will become a premium member now. In a day time, only 5 different people posted one or more sales threads in the new junkyard. Anyway, let's see how this evolves, but I'm afraid people here will miss out on a lot of nice deals, because the "occasional sellers" won't take a premium membership and just sell their stuff elsewhere. Me, for instance, also offer my props on a dutch prop / collectible forum. I'm still considering taking a premium membership, but if I decide not too, then my props will be only offered on the dutch forum, not here anymore, preventing RPF-members that might be interested, to do a good deal.

So, although I understand why the choice was made, I have my doubts about making the junkyard only available for premium members.

Last edited:
Me, for instance, also offer my props on a dutch prop / collectible forum. I'm still considering taking a premium membership, but if I decide not too, then my props will be only offered on the dutch forum, not here anymore, preventing RPF-members that might be interested, to do a good deal.

I'd rather you sell here & add $4 to the price, because you sell good stuff :D

$4 more isn't going to make me file for bankruptcy :lol

.... and if you list 5 items, $0.80 sure won't either :lol

so because im not a premium member i can not sell on here anymore?

You don't have to be full-time PM to sell one-offs.

You can subscribe for a month & sell whatever and as many times as you want for a month, for $4.

For 'open runs', ie no fixed number of items of the same things with no closing date, you'd need a full-time membership / be a member for as long as you intend to keep the run open.

Read the guidelines, its all there :)

http://www.therpf.com/junkyard/announcements.html

Last edited:
To the admins: I was just reading the RPF guidelines and some of the new rules are still not stated there (i.e. it still says full access members can sell). Just a heads up :thumbsup

To say people will turn to eBay instead is illogical. You will still be paying fees to sell there, quite possibly more in one transaction than you would for a yearly PM subscription.

To say people will turn to eBay instead is illogical. You will still be paying fees to sell there, quite possibly more in one transaction than you would for a yearly PM subscription.
At eBay, here in Belgium, listings are free. If the item isn't sold, you don't have to pay. If it is sold, you pay 8% fees. So all my items on eBay have these 8% fees included in the asking price. If an item doesn't sell, it doesn't cost me anything. Here on the RPF, you pay the premium membership anyhow, even if you list 10 objects that aren't sold in the end.

But anyhow, $30 for a premium membership isn't that much, off course. I might be signing up after all. But my funds are a bit limited right now...

I read through this thread thoroughly. I am not a paying member, nor have I sold anything on therpf. However, I am a buyer, and I've bought at least 5 different items from therpf sellers over the last 3 years. The new Junkyard looks cool, but I'm missing the easy search text box. This let me quickly type in a description, but limit my results to the junkbox forum. So, for example, I could type in "Star Wars", and I'd only get threads in the Junkyard related to Starwars items. I could see ALL the FA, FS, FT, (and even WTB) etc.in the same search results.

I can't figure out how to do this "easy search" in the new junkyard. If I use the search box at the top of every page, I get all forums, threads and posts related to my search term, when I'm really only interested in Junkyard results. I can use Advanced Search, but this is neither quick nor easy.

At the bottom of the Junkyard pages, there are "Thread display options" that let you filter/sort Junkyard in useful ways. Any chance you guys could "add back" the search box so that you can search across all the Junkyard postings using a simple term (like "Dredd, Tron, Robocop, Vader" etc) and get back the results of all the FS FA FT items quickly and easily? If I'm missing something, and there is already a way to do this without going to the Advanced Search at the top of the page, just let me know...

Thanks...

Is there any way to subscribe to the new Junkyard forum? I don't see the subscribe button. I see it in the old forum.

The way I see it, it's not that complicated .. basically, 50% of the junkyard threads were junks anyway .. there's so many members that come here to sell, use the community for quick profit and then go away. From here, it's either junk stuff or cool stuff .. Cool stuff threads are never cheap .. they always cost more for the wallet, in that case, it often means more money in the seller pocket .. some sellers are making tons of money here .. and the same sellers will complain about paying 3-4$ a month (from Castillo theory) or 30$ a year ..

What's 30$ really?!? Most of the members sepend so much time on the forums .. me the first .. I always keep the junkyard read, and my favorite forums too .. 30$ a year, really, considering my 30 mins a day .. that's about that's about a penny an hour .. cheap or not, everyone can afford this .. and I do have a run thread that gets some client from time to time which, in the worst case, would pay for the fees.

Really, saying Art will get rich, or that it's not justified can only be because you feel like you're getting ripped (or cheap), in any case, do the maths:

Time on the RPF per day * 365 days / 30$. Maybe you'll change your mind!

Now, that is a good looking junkyard! :thumbsup

As for the few fussing about having to be a Premium Member to sell. Look, if 30.00 is gonna break you for a year's worth of opportunity (on the single most popular prop forum on the planet) you need a little Ebay sobriety check. Sell one item for 250.00 on ebay and you'll lose that cash in one transaction after all fees. Sell cheaper items and you'll be nickle and dimed to that figure in a few listings.

The fact of the matter is the majority of Premium Members sign up to contribute to the community. They recognize that nobody is entitled to anything and simply want to give back a little. If a few perks are tossed in along the way; thank you, it's appreciated. This is just a new perk and with it comes some pretty damned good features with the bonus of adding a small amount of accountability to who sells in the junkyard. At least their names are known to the mods and the terms by which they sell are understood.

Will a few guys who contributed nothing else to the community except a daily crap thread in the JY be left out? Nope! They have a choice. If people want to continue selling DVDs, action figures and 1$ comics, they still can, but they'll have to be a Premium Member. All they have to do is come to the realization that what they're offering is worth 30.00 to them over the course of an entire year. If the decision is no, then they've done us all a favor! Why would we even want to look at someone's JY thread if they themselves know it's so ****ty that they're not willing to invest 30 bucks for the opportunity to solicit to our membership? Why would we want that sort of crap even taking up space on the forum?

We're going to see a higher quality of merch (for the most part) and sellers held to a higher standard. Win, win!

-Rylo

Just wondering....are members being forced to use Paypal? Some including myself hate Paypal with a passion and avoid it like the plague. Another reason I rarely use Evilbay.

When posting up a listing, the seller must agree to the following statement: " I will not request buyers pay through PayPal via "gift" or request buyers pay for PayPal fees."

Just wondering....are members being forced to use Paypal? Some including myself hate Paypal with a passion and avoid it like the plague. Another reason I rarely use Evilbay.

What payment service do you use then? I have found that for all its faults, PayPal is the easiest to use, has the most protections (provided you follow the rules to a T) and the widest install base. Plus they have the card-reader for cellphones and I have a debit card attached to my account. This isn't an attack on you or anything, its just given the level of convenience you get from Paypal I am curious what people use instead.

Not really sure how to answer that. Credit card accounts can be set up, cashiers check, money order, personal check, COD? Really don't know...just don't like reading all the nightmares honest sellers have to go thru with scammers that paypal always seems to side with and tired of paying fees everywhere I turn nowadays. I just loathe the company and adding to their bottom line by paying their fees. I know some are going to say that doesn't ensure protection for the buyer but for the few sales I make a year, paying more out of pocket money to companies like paypal just isn't worth it to me. I know theres no real clear solution to this even though I myself have no intention of cheating anyone but unfortunately there seems to be more dishonest scammers out there looking for an easy buck than honest people.
My question still stands.... "are we forced to use paypal for all sales?" ......if not then theres several RPF members I've dealt with and trust to take an alternate form of payment from.....so do we have that option?.....again, just wondering........Art?

What payment service do you use then? I have found that for all its faults, PayPal is the easiest to use, has the most protections (provided you follow the rules to a T) and the widest install base. Plus they have the card-reader for cellphones and I have a debit card attached to my account. This isn't an attack on you or anything, its just given the level of convenience you get from Paypal I am curious what people use instead.

I have a question, if I have threads in the old junkyard, does it require me to buy a premium membership to be able to continue selling said items, or am I able to finish selling those first?

I have a question, if I have threads in the old junkyard, does it require me to buy a premium membership to be able to continue selling said items, or am I able to finish selling those first?
sounds like the old junkyard threads will be outdated and deleted after 60 days.

You don't have to be full-time PM to sell one-offs.

You can subscribe for a month & sell whatever and as many times as you want for a month, for $4.

For 'open runs', ie no fixed number of items of the same things with no closing date, you'd need a full-time membership / be a member for as long as you intend to keep the run open.

Read the guidelines, its all there :)

http://www.therpf.com/junkyard/announcements.html
alright thanks might just opt for the full membership so i can sell as i please once the moneys available

You should be seeing the following notice on your screen when you are in the Junkyard - Deprecated forum.

Dear RPFer,
This is where the last vestiges of the old Junkyard have come to die. As the older forum format is not compatible with the new Junkyard layout, we have moved all existing Junkyard threads here so they wouldn't simply vanish overnight. These threads will be aggressively pruned over the course of the next 60 days as we complete our migration to the new Junkyard format. New threads cannot be created here as the purpose of this forum is solely to wrap up old business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back