Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes Sherlockian Relics

These are all fantastic. Really interesting to see the amount of screen-printing you're doing. That's something I might get into down the line as a lot of Star Trek props were screen-printed and if I want them to be accurate... Would you ever consider posting about that process, in terms of where you're sourcing the materials and the costs involved?

I always liked the Brett series. It's not just my favorite filmed version of Holmes, but it's one of my favorite period productions. It actually looks and feels like you're watching something from the Victorian era. Most modern period productions completely fail to make me really believe in the setting and characters.

These are all fantastic. Really interesting to see the amount of screen-printing you're doing. That's something I might get into down the line as a lot of Star Trek props were screen-printed and if I want them to be accurate... Would you ever consider posting about that process, in terms of where you're sourcing the materials and the costs involved?

I always liked the Brett series. It's not just my favorite filmed version of Holmes, but it's one of my favorite period productions. It actually looks and feels like you're watching something from the Victorian era. Most modern period productions completely fail to make me really believe in the setting and characters.
I can certainly try to share what I know and the materials I used if that's helpful... but as this was my first screen printing project, I am no expert. I basically watched Youtube videos until I felt brave enough to dive in, then practiced until I got what I was aiming for. The one video that made it sink in the best for me was this one:

Not to get too far off-topic, but the production values and cinematography are miles above almost all other attempts to depict the SH stories. Have you gotten far into a plan for a second series of props? Any teasers?

Not to get too far off-topic, but the production values and cinematography are miles above almost all other attempts to depict the SH stories. Have you gotten far into a plan for a second series of props? Any teasers?
Agreed. We try to go into a lot of this on the podcast.

Second series of props... the big teaser would be recreating the bust of one of the Six Napoleons (with the black pearl of the Borgias pushed in the base). Volume 1 was established to help us raise money for the podcast as well as gauge interest into other collections. We've found a couple people who worked on the show and currently own copies of the actual Napoleon props, which we intend to scan and base our replicas on. Then we have a list of about 50 other ideas.

Anything as a standout prop you'd like to see?

Personally - I would love to see items from Holmes' study - his grey slipper for storing his tobacco, etc...
We have sourced a decent copy of the slipper... but it's probably not something we could personally reproduce easily, however, if we could get a bulk discount, it might be something we could incorporate.

Our original idea was to develop replicas of the items from the mysteries themselves... the pieces Sherlock and Watson would have interacted with. Pipes, hats, and magnifying glasses can all be purchased, but finding a copy of the Musgrave Ritual or an accurate recreation of the show-used Napoleon bust is what got me excited to start this project.

I suppose a period-style photograph of Irene Adler would be on the list. I imagine it as in a bakelite or stamped leather frame. Maybe something from the Diogenes Club - member's card, menu. A key to 221b that would be appropriate to the period locks. For that matter, maybe a set of period skeleton keys for unofficial breaking and entering. We don't see any of Watson's military decorations, but that may be a thought. And along those lines, a photograph of Mary that John might have among his effects. A little large, but that tin dispatch box would be pretty cool. Just some thoughts.
David

"Pipes, hats, and magnifying glasses can all be purchased, but finding a copy of the Musgrave Ritual or an accurate recreation of the show-used Napoleon bust is what got me excited to start this project."

Makes absolute sense! I'm excited to see what else you have under your sleeve - the Napolean bust is of interest as I can display it nicely in my study.

I suppose a period-style photograph of Irene Adler would be on the list. I imagine it as in a bakelite or stamped leather frame. Maybe something from the Diogenes Club - member's card, menu. A key to 221b that would be appropriate to the period locks. For that matter, maybe a set of period skeleton keys for unofficial breaking and entering. We don't see any of Watson's military decorations, but that may be a thought. And along those lines, a photograph of Mary that John might have among his effects. A little large, but that tin dispatch box would be pretty cool. Just some thoughts.
David
Awesome! We had some of those on the list, but not all. As we move into production on the next volume, I will post here to show updates and ideas. Thanks!

"Pipes, hats, and magnifying glasses can all be purchased, but finding a copy of the Musgrave Ritual or an accurate recreation of the show-used Napoleon bust is what got me excited to start this project."

Makes absolute sense! I'm excited to see what else you have under your sleeve - the Napolean bust is of interest as I can display it nicely in my study.
Thanks, James! We will post here, for sure. The Napoleon bust will be a big project, I think, and a good one to document on TheRPF.

Too bad that Denix is no longer producing the "Bulldog".

Apparently, there were no bars issued for the defeat at Maiwan, but the campaign medal would have been among Watson's effects. Not sure that an affordable replica is being made.

If there were also an modern vendor of Victorian pocket photo frames...

David

Attachments

• 20180713_123705-1920x1440.jpg
    20180713_123705-1920x1440.jpg
    876.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Anglo-Afghan medal 2.JPG
    Anglo-Afghan medal 2.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Irene Adler in frame.jpg
    Irene Adler in frame.jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 139
"Affordable" is the key on a lot of these. I thought an Eley no. 2 cap gun would be fun... but seems like the effort may not be worth the result. The Irene Adler photos is definitely on the list. Finding a company that makes a similar frame, or coming up with a way to make them, will be key for that one. Just the printed photo wouldn't be cool enough in my opinion.

With the compliments of the season, we have decided to embrace that most festive and celebrated ingredient of the holiday season - consumerism! We're offering Volume 1 of the kit with free shipping, even internationally, for black Friday. The coupon code is "BLACKPETER" at checkout.

TinyURL.com/SherlockianRelics

Sherlockpod Props Black Friday OPL05826.jpg

I'm the topic starter of the original Sherlock Holmes Collection topic. It's really great to see these beautiful artefacts and the attention to detail that you put into these. Really great stuff!

Unfortunately between the time I last posted and now is my university career, which I'm currently finishing. As one may imagine, my collection has been resting and slowly decaying in a box somewhere :p Hopefully in the near future I can continue it, and perhaps try my hand at props again, though it would be hard to match the quality of yours.

Hey Jacco111! I remember looking at your post years ago now. There were things you and other people on that thread were searching for that I, too wanted to find. Some of them I made, some of them I found copies of, and some of them I'm working on now. Through the podcast that I co-host, we've been lucky to get some insider info on a few of them, so I hope to have some surprises to share soon!

I went back to look through that original thread, but most of the photos are gone now. If there are any parts of your collection you'd like to share again, please do! I have a list as long as my arm of things I'd like to try... but finding the time is tricky.

I'm diggin' your profile photo, by the way! (Jeremy Brett in 2021 - in case this post doesn't age well in the future! :) )

Agreed. We try to go into a lot of this on the podcast.

Second series of props... the big teaser would be recreating the bust of one of the Six Napoleons (with the black pearl of the Borgias pushed in the base). Volume 1 was established to help us raise money for the podcast as well as gauge interest into other collections. We've found a couple people who worked on the show and currently own copies of the actual Napoleon props, which we intend to scan and base our replicas on. Then we have a list of about 50 other ideas.

Anything as a standout prop you'd like to see?
Would the Mazarin stone be possible? But I can't wait to see what you have planned :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back