Jedifyfe's Wearable NIKE MAG Upgrade DISPLAY VIDEO

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was inspired by what S02 has been doing and I thought that I would give a wearable NIKE MAG conversion a go.

I have my Mark Poon Mag's on order but in the mean time I have a left over dismantled pair from my other NIKE MAG project (see link)

http://www.therpf.com/f9/nike-you-c...-own-nike-mags-new-leds-12-21-pg-21-a-127425/

I will be doing some things similar to S02's and some things a bit different. Like I won't be disassembeling the shoe as I fear that any glue used will not last over time or be durable to stress over time.

I started with the color/shiny fabric issue.

I have made one side just slightly darker/matte and the other side untouched.

Dsc04015.jpg

Dsc04024.jpg

Dsc04023.jpg

Dsc04019.jpg

Dsc04020.jpg

Next I am going to install the EL inverter in the heel cup (which will sit flush with the back of the shoe) and I will be installing a tiny 12v battery instead of the bulky 9v.

Dsc04027.jpg

Dsc04026.jpg

Dsc04028.jpg

Battery Size comparison:

Dsc04030.jpg

I will also be using my plastic formed ankle bubbles:

Dsc03994.jpg

Dsc04007.jpg

Stay tuned for more.

Last edited:
Re: Jedifyfe's Wearable NIKE MAG Upgrade thread

For those that are Pm'ing me, I may do a few conversions after my pair are done. Hang in there.

;)

Thanks. I hope to have Marks shoes here soon to start working on.

I thinkn I'll dump the 9V monster for the little guy too, good idea!

Yep. I tested the circuit and it works great! I just ordered some 180 ohm resistors for the LED's. AND I can buy (2) 12v batteries for the price of one 9v!

Dsc04037.jpg

Last edited:

No go with the 12v battery. It gets drained WAY too quickly. The LED's were dead in a matter of about 5 minutes.

Here is one side of the ankle bubble/lights ready for the shoes!

Dsc04055.jpg

Dsc04056.jpg

Dsc04057.jpg

Dsc04058.jpg

No go with the 12v battery. It gets drained WAY too quickly. The LED's were dead in a matter of about 5 minutes.

I was half expecting this reply when I scrolled down sooner or later. Nice try. I'm LOVING that tiny inverter you have. Mine is about the same size as the 9v battery which is fine as it hides in the sole very well, but this would be even better. Pm me the link will ya..? :cool

If you dig the sole out neatly, you can get to the yellow undersole and have just a fraction of the rubber left for longevity when wearing, and it will last a very long time if looked after and you don't walk like a 5 year old scrapping their feet :lol

I won't hassle you with pm, but you KNOW i'm first on that mythical list of yours for a pair of these. If they go to plan mine will look like a bloody prototype :darnkids :lol:lol

As cool as those LEDs are, I think even a 9v will drain a lot sooner than you think. Those resisters are monsters. Perhaps try some tiny 3mm LEDs that will be more efficient, but still diffuse..? I know they won't be like Nikes, but they have a huge rechargable battery :-( They will still look great from a distance as you will be smoking the bubble on the inside anyway.

My LEDs only required 17ohm resisters, what are yours taking just out of interest?

:thumbsup

Dsc04027.jpg

^^ This pic = SOOOO much win. That's awesome.

How did you go about the fabric colour change? You use that Fabrico pen (#181) I recommended or you go down a different route?

As cool as those LEDs are, I think even a 9v will drain a lot sooner than you think. Those resisters are monsters. Perhaps try some tiny 3mm LEDs that will be more efficient, but still diffuse..? I know they won't be like Nikes, but they have a huge rechargable battery :-( They will still look great from a distance as you will be smoking the bubble on the inside anyway.

My LEDs only required 17ohm resisters, what are yours taking just out of interest?

:thumbsup

These are 3mm LED's and these are 10 ohm resistors. I think they look big since the pic is extremely close.

I just ordered another set of inverters. If they are the same size as the ones I have now, I'll post the link.

I will be installing the 9v battery in the sole but not the inverter (it will stay in the ankle cup.

As for the color change. I am going to try fabric spray paint:

!B80roPgBmk~$(KGrHqF,!k8Ey+jC1QYGBM4E(gFfVw~~0_12.JPG

This looks great Brad. I will be watching with amazement :)

I have been doing some tests with fabric spray paint and though it gives even coverage, the down side is that it you scuff the paint with an object, it makes a mark that can't be undone.

I have been doing some tests with fabric spray paint and though it gives even coverage, the down side is that it you scuff the paint with an object, it makes a mark that can't be undone.

I don't seem to have that problem :rolleyes :darnkids:lol

Give the dye pen a try Brad, you'll love it when you have seen it in real life.

p.s. picking parcel up tonight (y)cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back