James Gunn and Peter Safran Are the New Co-CEOs of DC Studios

What a sweet deal. I hope DC/Warner will be wise enough to keep their executive input out of his way.
Even though I'm a biased MCU fanboy I give respect to DC for grabbing Gunn if Marvel was too stupid to lock him (or anybody with comic cred) in.
Good for him.

I couldn't be more stoked.

Marvel messed up losing him... but at least they got a great trilogy out of it.

Gunn has been a lot harder in the adult vibe at DC so far... but if he can dial it back and steer them to a Guardians level "family fun and tears".... I'm looking forward to a DC universe going forward.

Get fired for being a creep, get re hired for a lack of replacement talent, be made head of a franchise. Welcome to degenerate Hollywood. Not making Todd Phillips the driving force after the greatest success in DC history is their downfall. I guess he just wasnt creepy enough.

Last edited:
It won't matter, Discovery looks like it's going to try to sell off Warner again the second they can, so whatever they do in the interim doesn't matter. Gunn and Safran can come up with all the plans they want, it'll all get tossed in the next sale.

Not if having Gunn involved is what makes the sale more enticing.

Be a lot less money selling off Marvel if you weren't getting Feige.

I'm guessing, anyway. Gunn is a proven asset... and if one of the intentions of buying Warner is to capitalize on DC comic characters... they're gonna want a "Feige" - a guy hard in the paint for nerd culture, who understands comics, and has a proven track record with it.

Not really looking forward to a James Gunn treatment of Batman or really any other classic DC characters. I enjoyed Peacemaker, but just as much as I would not want all of Marvel to become GOTG funny, I don't care to see all of DC become Peacemaker.

I guess since DC went all nutty gritty for so long, now they want to go the other route?

Well I think the idea is he gets to PICK who does what...

Like if the Russo's are done at Marvel, maybe he grabs them and puts them on a Justice League... Or get Marcus and McFeely to write a Booster Gold and Beetle... Or superman... they already successfully wrote a "boy scout" Character...

I was listening to those two writers on a podcast and they were asked "how would you two save the DC universe?"

And their answer was:

"to quote their own movie, 'save one person'"

Maybe they get that chance! *hope*

I feel like if Gunn did a movie he'd build around what he's already into... those weird side characters and Harley Quinn.

Gunn is far from a creep. He is someone that came to be in the 80's hence the dark sense of humor and and comprehension of times past VS the more current trend of waking on tinsel tightropes. Few rise to the top while bringing those around them up with them. Gunn is a proverbial nerd fan boy with too much knowledge of the source material he is now in charge of. Too much as in others his equal of Fandom still have yet to find all the Easter eggs in his projects. Cast and crew stand by him for a reason. DC made the best decision possible at a pivotal time as Marvel is floundering.

Yeah, a few dark jokes on that subject matter can be considered edgy but when it becomes a consistent theme of your presence online for an extended period its clearly creepy if not worse. The fact he is a quality film maker means absolutely nothing. Polanski made some great films as well, doesnt change what he is.

Not really looking forward to a James Gunn treatment of Batman or really any other classic DC characters. I enjoyed Peacemaker, but just as much as I would not want all of Marvel to become GOTG funny, I don't care to see all of DC become Peacemaker.

I guess since DC went all nutty gritty for so long, now they want to go the other route?
Batman and Robly

Has a nice ring to it.

And to think folks tried to cancel Gunn

Then what is Gunn and what are you referring to other than jokes and puns as Polanski was a completely different criminal case. Gunn had prior done nothing more than an 80's comedian would joke about. No actions, just jokes and puns. He's not abused power but instead helped others enter or advance in the industry.
If you're referring to the fan that was using fake clout to bait ladies which some of Gunns comments were taken as if he was in the know, that's a false flag. That person was a casual aquantence not a friend or work associate. I was also a casual aquantence of that person. So therefore I must also be a creep as should anyone else that met the person. The actions of one are not that of others.

I don't know if Gunn is the solution but he couldn't be any worse than the rudderless current management.

DC should focus on making good standalone stories instead of a grand shared universe plan, at least for the time being. And get away from dark and gritty and just make fun escapism again.

I never was a huge DC reader, mostly having read a little Batman and Superman in the late 90's and early 00's. The things they've done with their two biggest guns have left me pretty unenthused with their movie universe, and The Suicide Squad didn't do much for me either.

I don't think there's a name they could attach as a creative head to get me on board at this point, I need to see content that makes me like these characters again.

Shazam and Wonder Woman we're both fun enough, and even as aggressively mediocre as Aquaman turned out it had good bits, but the bleak and pugnacious Synder films just felt like they were shooting for something that didn't feel like the universe that existed in the books.

Gunn is fine, but I need to see content that feels right before DC gets my excitement again.

Then what is Gunn and what are you referring to other than jokes and puns as Polanski was a completely different criminal case. Gunn had prior done nothing more than an 80's comedian would joke about. No actions, just jokes and puns. He's not abused power but instead helped others enter or advance in the industry.
If you're referring to the fan that was using fake clout to bait ladies which some of Gunns comments were taken as if he was in the know, that's a false flag. That person was a casual aquantence not a friend or work associate. I was also a casual aquantence of that person. So therefore I must also be a creep as should anyone else that met the person. The actions of one are not that of others.
Your initial reply excused Gunn of his extensive creepy internet postings and while we are at it, associations with convicted creeps because they were tied to the 80's and that somehow made them less creepy. You also implied that because Gunn lifted others upwards into the industry absolves him from any criticism. The realty says that is garbage. I'm not saying that anyone who met Harvey Weinstein supports him like you are falsely trying to imply with my comments in regards to Polanski and you know that. Just for the record, I am bring very reserved in my words when it comes to James Gunn.

Last edited:
Marvel/Disney are running themselves into the ground.
DC might as well strike while the iron is hot. They have Gunn. They might as well get Favreau, too.

Or Todd Phillips, the most successful creator in terms of money spent in regards to money earned in the history of DC or Marvel's history. To me and a lot of people will sperg at this, Batman and the surrounding universe is the most viable product DC will ever have. Personally, I would have ended it all after Nolan's trilogy but Phillips gave us something different and something special. Gunn, introducing a catchy soundtrack and vibrant colors frankly, makes me sick in the stomach.

Phillips has been robbed of his outlet of choice in this nightmare of reality today, comedy and adapted with the most successful product in DC's history. Hopefully Gunn can be kept at distance from Joker 2 which despite speculation offers so much optimism for the continuation of the universe.

Last edited:
As someone who has worked with abused children for twenty years, this is not something to ever joke about.

He:

Makes jokes on twitter about fisting ten year old boys,

He jokes about having sex with his own daughter,

He goes to pedophile themed parties,

but no, he is not a creep. Tell me what one has to do to be a creep in your book?

Keep in mind these are just the three things I remember off the top of my head, he not only never denied these, they were all shown in past tweets, pictures, and video.

Okay, yeah make him head of DC. Not a creep at all.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back