James Cameron, King of DVD Sales

TK648

Sr Member
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-james-cameron-king-of-DVD-sales.html

Well, so much for those fears that no one would want to see "Avatar" in 2D. James Cameron's "Avatar," which is already the most financially successful film of all time (it brought in over $2.7 billion at theaters worldwide) has now broken almost every record known to man in the home video market, too. "Avatar" sold 2.7 million high-definition Blu-ray discs -- along with 4 million standard definition DVDs -- in the first four days it was available.

"Avatar" bucked the usual Tuesday-release tradition in order to take advantage of the environmental themes in the film. Instead, it was released on Earth Day, which was Thursday.

There was concern that "Avatar" fans would balk at the non 3D Blu-rays and DVDs -- a valid concern considering only 20% of "Avatar"'s domestic box office gross came from the standard two-dimensional screenings. Or "only" around $150 million.

The previous Blu-ray king had been the 2008 film, "The Dark Knight," which sold 2.5 million Blu-rays - a milestone it took 16 months to reach. It took Avatar just over one weekend to supersede that number. On December 9, 2008, "The Dark Knight" sold 600,000 Blu-rays on its first day, which beat the previous record-holder, "Iron Man," by 200,000 units.

An interesting side note to "Avatar"'s Blu-ray and DVD success: "Avatar"'s studio, Fox, agreed to a deal with Netflix that prevented the online-rental-and-video-streaming site from offering the film until 28 days after the films for-sale release. A similar deal was agreed to with Redbox, the service that offers DVDs from vending machines set up at department and grocery stores. Cutting these two retailers out of the mix, albeit temporarily, pretty much leaves consumers only one way of viewing "Avatar" on their home theaters. If they wanted to see it, they had to purchase the discs. And, clearly, that's exactly what consumers did.

In fact, analysts are predicting a spike in Blu-ray player sales propelled by the runaway success of "Avatar"'s disc. Target went as far as to offer the player and disc as a package that included a $20 gift card.

No word yet on how many new "Avatar" Blu-ray disc owners have returned their purchase to stores, asking for the nonexistent 3D version.

I hate that the no-rental thing is working out for them. Show them who's boss, pirate the movie in protest of no rentals. I would, but I don't care to ever watch the movie again.

Bought my Blu-Ray the morning it was released. One of the most cleanest and beautiful transfers to the format I have ever seen.

May not have had features, but the movie's quality alone was something to marvel at and really appreciate Cameron for utilizing the full space of the dual layer Blu-Ray for maintaining the best picture and sound quality possible. It's easily the best looking film I've seen in the format. Of course Pixars are always wonderful, but aside the toony animated features...

Bought my Blu-Ray the morning it was released. One of the most cleanest and beautiful transfers to the format I have ever seen.

May not have had features, but the movie's quality alone was something to marvel at and really appreciate Cameron for utilizing the full space of the dual layer Blu-Ray for maintaining the best picture and sound quality possible. It's easily the best looking film I've seen in the format. Of course Pixars are always wonderful, but aside the toony animated features...

This :thumbsup

James Cameron is the Dan Brown of the film industry.

I refuse to ever contribute money to this nonsensical, unoriginal, shallow, and stupid "film".

I heard the movie was really supported but the FX and that the rest of it really sucked - any truth to that?

Not really for me. Effects isn't what gets my butt in the seat to see a film. It just looked very interesting of an idea and I always love things that are not of this life or planet.

When I go to see a movie I want to be taken away from real life. It's an escape. If a movie made me forget about everything for a couple hours then it did its job. I think the story was just fine and I don't really compare it to anything.

I don't see Dances with Wolves in it. I don't see Pocahontas. Of course we can all over-analyze any film and try to bring out similarities. I just those claims are a bit over the top.

Is there another movie where a soldier went in with a bunch of scientists using DNA of themselves to merge with an alien Avatar, transfer themselves into the bodies of the aliens, and then go out and study their kind and learn about their planetary life? How is that Dances with Wolves? How is Jake Sully in an Alien body meeting Ney'tiri and going into huge battles and Ney'tiri whooping butt Pocahontas?

The only thing that stood out as a similarity of anything to me was the music from James Horner. There was some Titanic nuances within it, but that's the only thing that stood out if anything. Everything else was great and had no complaints over.

Of course this is just MY opinion and not everyone elses. Billions at the box office must attest to how much people did enjoy it. Those are significant numbers. Not like The Phantom Menace when we all admit it was an honest mistake going to see that film in theaters :)

I heard the movie was really supported but the FX and that the rest of it really sucked - any truth to that?

That statement is 100% true, sorry niennumb. Sure you can say that the DNA spliced alien bodies is original, but it's still the "ignorant dude going into a native tribe and learning their ways before stopping his people from destroying them" story. It's been done to death, and then done again. The reason people went to this movie was for the pretty 3d colorful plants and impressive CG. It's the shallowest movie ever made. Sorry to those of you who liked it.

The only thing that stood out as a similarity of anything to me was the music from James Horner. There was some Titanic nuances within it, but that's the only thing that stood out if anything. Everything else was great and had no complaints over.

Horner is one of my favorite film composers (or - he is credited with some of my favorite scores).

However, a former RPF resident film score expert has previously enlightened us that Horner is known to sample (and re-sample) bits of his previous work.

Is there another movie where a soldier went in with a bunch of scientists using DNA of themselves to merge with an alien Avatar, transfer themselves into the bodies of the aliens, and then go out and study their kind and learn about their planetary life? How is that Dances with Wolves? How is Jake Sully in an Alien body meeting Ney'tiri and going into huge battles and Ney'tiri whooping butt Pocahontas?

How is the lone representative of the more advanced and intruding culture being captured, presented before the king, about to be executed, then saved by (wait for it) - the king's favorite daughter NOT Pocahantas?

Don't take this the wrong way. Not trying to belittle your opinions. I enjoyed the film too. But the story IS a retread and it is plainly obvious. Does that mean its bad? Not really. Many stories are told and retold. But this one I DO believe relied heavily on effects and visuals to distract from just how ham-fisted of a retread it really was.

But then Cameron is not known for highly sophisticated writing. His Terminator story structure is about as complicated as it gets.

What sold Titanic?

AWESOME visuals, and... A VERY basic story structure of unrequited love challenged by a seemingly unsurmountable barrier. BASIC. FORMULAIC. Were it not set against the incredible back drop of the most visually fascinating incarnation of the most famous shipwreck in history, the movie would be run of the mill.

Yet...

It swept the Oscars and was the all-time money maker for years.

Same thing with Avatar, all over again...

Last edited:
While on the subject of Cameron, Blu-Ray releases, and Titanic - where is it on Blu-Ray!?

I'd imagine its Blu-ray release will be a cash cow too...

PH-

I am of an open mind and can be convinced and don't have that hard of a head to not be swayed. I can see your point and well backed up your reasons, so you're not incorrect.

There are a TON of films out there and there's tons of characters that are bound to have similarities of others. I think it's hard to come up with a personality that's never been done before. The spectrum is full of all kinds. Well I guess we haven't seen a bisexual psychopathic killer who loves ducks and has a hobby collecting golf clubs and has an OCD with folding sheets properly and is allergic to blood.

On the subject of Titanic, I think they're waiting til the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking (April 14, 1912) to release that. I also though Cameron was working on a 3D release of this for theaters or something. Maybe that's what's going on for 2012 and the Blu-Ray will be sooner...

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back