Is Mold Max Stroke pourable?

helix_3

I have a lot of MMS and I'm low on Mold Star. If I run out of MS, can I use MMS as a regular pourable mold rubber? I know MMS is tin cure (not a problem) and thicker than Mold Star (also fine, I'll be pressure casting).

The TDS doesn't address this, but this tutorial from Smooth-On would imply it's possible. But I'm not totally sure, since rubber keys can be a little off and still work. I need good surface finish, etc.

1615002170814.png

Does anyone have experience with this?

I have used this in a pinch, BUT it is not optimal.
when you pour you usually have a lot more silicone and it’s much harder to mix, and I got the feeling that it became thicker much faster when there was more to mix. You have to be fast.

And since you are going to pressure cast in the mold later on I wouldn’t recommend using it. There will be bubbles in the silicone, and sometimes near the surface.

I've done it and I haven't had any problems. It picks up detail really well.
I pressure cast a small quantity (under 200mL) at 40PSI with 1% accelerator* (no degass step), and it worked great. Thanks

*(If anyone finds this on google, 1% accelerator makes larger quantities set up very quickly, so I would use non-accelerated rubber for larger pours)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back