Is Mold Max Stroke pourable?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

helix_3

I have a lot of MMS and I'm low on Mold Star. If I run out of MS, can I use MMS as a regular pourable mold rubber? I know MMS is tin cure (not a problem) and thicker than Mold Star (also fine, I'll be pressure casting).

The TDS doesn't address this, but this tutorial from Smooth-On would imply it's possible. But I'm not totally sure, since rubber keys can be a little off and still work. I need good surface finish, etc.

1615002170814.png

Does anyone have experience with this?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Coinprop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have used this in a pinch, BUT it is not optimal.
when you pour you usually have a lot more silicone and it’s much harder to mix, and I got the feeling that it became thicker much faster when there was more to mix. You have to be fast.

And since you are going to pressure cast in the mold later on I wouldn’t recommend using it. There will be bubbles in the silicone, and sometimes near the surface.

helix_3

I've done it and I haven't had any problems. It picks up detail really well.
I pressure cast a small quantity (under 200mL) at 40PSI with 1% accelerator* (no degass step), and it worked great. Thanks

*(If anyone finds this on google, 1% accelerator makes larger quantities set up very quickly, so I would use non-accelerated rubber for larger pours)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.