Ironman Mark VII build

specsoul

Hello theRPF,

I am building the Ironman Mark VII helmet, and I have to say thank you to darkside501st for providing the model and pep files. He did a great job on them.
This is my first build and I wanted to share with you the results I have so far.

1. Here is the model Pepped out.
IMG_0661.JPGIMG_0662.JPGIMG_0663.JPG

2. Here is the first coat of Resin applied to the pepakura.
IMG_0664.JPGIMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPG

3. I plan to rondo the inside of the helmet after coating the inside with resin first. I decided to do this instead of using fiberglass mat or cloth to make it stiffer.

I will upload more soon as I progress with this build.

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work man! Smooth and clean! (y)thumbsup(y)D

Forgive me for the sequent question, but I'm not in total confidence with the english word or slang.. but, what is rondo? Is it a resin or a putty? :behave
Do you not use fiberglass to reinforce the inner helmet? :confused

but, what is rondo? Is it a resin or a putty? :behave
Do you not use fiberglass to reinforce the inner helmet? :confused

Rondo is a mixture of the Fibreglass resin and Bondo body filler - mix the 2 together and stir and it becomes a liquid you can paint or roll onto the interior

Rondo is a mixture of the Fibreglass resin and Bondo body filler - mix the 2 together and stir and it becomes a liquid you can paint or roll onto the interior

Thanks for explanation. There is vantage using rondo instead of classical method with fiberglass?

I think is is a little easier to use than fiberglass strands or matte, but just personal preference. One thing for sure though is you have to make sure you have supports for the helmet because when you mix fiberglass resin with Bondo body filler, it gets really hot! and could warp the helmet.

Update:

Did some Bondo work and been spending some time trying to get the ears right. Man these ears are stubborn! I also separated the faceplate so I could begin work on it as well.
IMG_0675.JPGIMG_0674.JPGIMG_0676.JPGIMG_0677.JPGIMG_0678.JPGIMG_0679.JPGIMG_0680.JPGIMG_0681.JPG

Another Update:

Been very busy lately so my project is a little slow. I did more bondo work to the faceplate, and I have been working on truing up the cut lines. Still at it though...IMG_0685.JPGIMG_0686.JPGIMG_0688.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back