Ironhand's RANDOM GUN THEATRE!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Ironhand, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Hey all,

It has been forever since I've worked on any original props (maintaining my Desert Trooper costume doesn't really count), so I decided to try my hand at STEAMPUNK weapons. And.... I failed. :confused

So to get my confidence back up, I'm slamming together whatever style of gun strikes my fancy, and that's working out better.

First, an old airsoft that has a long history. This was the Daisy version of the old Maruzen airsoft Remington Wingmaster. Those of you who are like 40 years old might remember it :rolleyes. They actually had a working tube magazine that fed plastic cartridges with Super-Realistic-Pump-Action! Of course, the bbs didn't stay in their cartridges too well, and you could only load 1 bb per cartridge, but as a working prop, it was great.

[​IMG]

Anyway, enough nostalgia. The ABS stock on these airsoft guns were NOTORIOUSLY fragile and wobbly. So in a fit of prop rage, I ripped the old stock off, ground out the inside of a nylon 870 pistol grip, and glued it onto the gun with Bondo. Messy, yes. Permanent, yes- or so I thought...

I made further mods to bulk the gun up, including adding tubing to both the barrel (for girth) and the magazine (for length). This made for a cool looking front end (pictured inset), but lacked the full-stock awesomeness that I wanted (especially after seeing HARD BOILED). Soo....

[​IMG]

I just last week cracked out this 15+ year old project and decided to add a proper nylon stock, since I had some floating around. I dremeled / pryed / smashed the pistol grip off and decided to take the back of the gun down to fit the stock, rather than vise versa. Fortunately the cover could be slid off, so I knew how much overlap I'd have to work with. Because the Airsoft action comes so far back in the gun, I decided I'd have to mount the stock with side plates instead of the standard bolt-through-the-back.

So I made some custom side plates out of ABS, superglued them to the frame, then ran wood screws through the plates into the nylon stock, plus one more screw through the back of the trigger guard for good measure. The end result isn't super realistic, but I added enough shape to the plates to make it come out nice looking anyway, IMO.

The end result: the full size shotgun I always wanted, and it still fires airsoft pellets as well as it ever did! I call her Abigail.

=I=

http://www.ironhands.com

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Okay, one more project I've got cooking.

This is an old *koff* Tootsietoy *AHEM* cap gun. Back when toy guns were $%king cool. It's solid ABS, and the pump action rotates the barrels and primes a strip feed cap gun system that fed from a top magazine. It was like the junior version of their battery operated MINIGUN capgun toy (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/TAzCry1G5NQ/default.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DTAzCry1G5NQ&usg=__qlPyODeiqRSLJeyFcJXSfRb_QJo=&h=90&w=120&sz=4&hl=en&start=1&itbs=1&tbnid=eW4DaiR6FSdKWM:&tbnh=66&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtootsietoy%2Bgatling%26hl%3Den%26rls%3D%257Bmoz:distributionID%257D:%257Bmoz:locale%257D:%257Bmoz:eek:fficial%257D%26tbs%3Disch:1).

Anyway, I'm not finished with this thing yet, but I did a couple simple mods to make me more happy with it.

One, I filed the grip's hand-gougingly sharp angles down to a more comfortable, finger grooved format (and primed it black for good measure).

Two, I added a new front end. It's an ABS pipe coupler, with a strip of RUBBER FLOOR MATTING superglued / pop-rivetted around it!
    [​IMG]

I got lucky and found a bunch of floor matting that someone was giving away in their front yard (woo, thanks!). The floor mat had beveled-down edges on it (to keep ya from tripping on it), and a cool rectangle-grid pattern on the bottom, so I just cut one of the edges off, turned it upside down, and wrapped it around the pipe coupler for some instant ribbed detail. Rubber superglues really well btw, so between that and poprivetting the ends, it's on there pretty good. I used an extra strip of rubber and superglue to close up the gap at the bottom. Two more small strips of floor matting embellish the sides of the gun, the "fins" clipped down to an interesting angle with scissors. Yes, this stuff is easy to work with!

I'll undoubtedly be wrapping more inverted floor matting around other props in the future, like probably some Star Wars heavy blaster type deals. You know, like this one:

[​IMG]

=I=

http://www.ironhands.com

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  3. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Some background on my DT blaster (pictured a bit more clearly below):

[​IMG]
    This blaster (affectionately dubbed the Merr-Sonn Mk II) seems to get lots of attention when I'm trooping, even though it is not canon (no pun intended).

So I thought I'd take a moment to share how it all came together. Originally it was my "tunnel gun", a Larami battery powered AR-15 squirt-gun-turned-prop I'd carry with me whenever we explored storm drains or launched bottle rockets (ah, our misguided youth!). Back then it just had a standard front end and a cobbled together grenade launcher (some bits of which are still on the gun). When I started making a blaster prop, I had a heavy barrel and muzzle worked out, but needed a reciever... so I sacrificed my beloved "tunnel gun". Fortunately it worked out just fine.

Here's a pictorial breakdown of all the parts.
    [​IMG]
    I extended the stock by gluing together some little cake decoration step pieces, and shoe-gooing on some foam rubber pads. To help disguise the AR-15, I cut down an old ink ribbon cartridge from a printer (maybe a typewriter?) because it had a cool shape and some nice vent holes. This went on top of the receiver. I pulled the magazine and stuffed some kind of rubber thing in there that I found at the auto junkyard. I also scored some nice scrap aluminum parts from a metal scrapyard that helped 'Star-Wars-Ize' the magazine port area.

[​IMG]
    The barrel itself is key to the whole construction. I used thick wall ABS pipe (3" I believe) and wrapped it with Vinyl Floor Matting! Ths gave it a nice ribbed look. It was pretty easy to just superglue the floor mat on- just keep running a line of glue on the mat and roll the pipe over it until it sticks.

Because the ABS is so thick, I could attach all manner of accessories to the top and bottom (scope mount, bottom detail, etc) using ordinary wood screws.

HOLY CRAP, I forgot to label something! The detail around the barrel below the scope mount are... PLASTIC CLOTHES PIN HALVES! I just pop them apart, throw the spring away, and glue them on lengthwise for instant cool technical venty detail.

[​IMG]
    The front end has some of my favorite details. The muzzle brake is a popup sprinkler with the top removed, some holes drilled, then wrapped with aluminum tape (metal tape can usually be found in the hardware store with air ducts, as it is used to repair ducts more permanently than duct tape). If you sand the metal tape lightly around the circumference and give it a dark brown wash, it looks pretty convincing. I found the notched aluminum ring (supposedly a shock absorber guide ring) at that metal scrapyard again. Need to visit another one of those some day...

The Bipod is made from two threaded PVC pipe elbows, connected together with a threaded coupler. The coupler is clamped into a plastic Pipe Bracket, designed for mounting pipe to wall studs I believe. Flexible sprinkler riser pipes come out of the elbows, forming the "legs' of the bipod. It isn't really a practical bipod, but it adds a lot to the front ends appearance.

So with all this in mind, I am setting out to recreate the magic as best I can. I've already got a new muzzle in the works that is looking pretty sweet, and I found some floor mat with larger, more widely spaced ribs on it that will make a convincing barrel. Look for pics in a few days. Until then, good hunting!

=I=

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted Well-Known Member

That...is awesome! Great job on creating a Star Wars blaster the way the first films did.

5. yuumi2891103

yuumi2891103 Sr Member

Woow, :confused:eek

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing those:love

6. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Sooo..... That aforementioned Steampunk gun failure?

Turns out, it wasn't all that bad- I just needed to finish it off with some antiquing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this is a converted Nerf Rev-8 Firefly. It still shoots darts, but unfortunately the strobe got destroyed during the retrofit, so no more glowing darts. BUT hey, the fact it looks this Steampunky yet still can shoot is worth something, yeah?

For paint (which is really what this is all about), I used spray metallics (gold and copper, mainly), then applied wood stain to get some color depth, and highlighted with a silver sharpie. But that ended up looking pretty crappy- too evenly glossy, like plastic.

So it sat on the shelf for months before I finally broke down and figured I'd try antiquing it. I simply glommed on some black and brown acrylic paint, then rubbed it down with a slightly damp sock to take the black off the high points. It makes a HUGE difference- the contrast makes the shiny parts look a lot shinier. Plus, some things just need to look grungy in order to be believable.

Here's an in-process shot during construction- basically just gluing on lots of wood shapes, model parts, and the odd chess piece here and there.

[​IMG]

Hooray!

I still have another blaster in the works though- more of a "dieselpunk" flavor going into that one. We'll see what comes of it...

=I=

7. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

For your viewing pleasure, Ironhand Industries presents: The Matson-Dyer Z 20 Assault Weapon System!
    [​IMG]

This started as an old Zap-20 Airsoft gun. It is probably a priceless relic, except that I had already modded it years ago so I could put a scope on it. Anyway, the receiver and stock are all that's left of the original gun.

The barrel is plastic pipe wrapped with vinyl floor mat. The muzzle is a mix of parts, including a drip line filter (the * thing), a cylinder fan (from a humidifier or some such), and a special piece I found at a surplus store (you'll see more of those later, I'm sure).

[​IMG]
    The Barrel is attached to the receiver with metal brackets that I made by cutting down some perf metal server doors. The pipe is thick-wall, so I can just run wood screws into it! I covered some of the screws with rubber bushings. To attach the scope and the gas cylinder to the barrel, I first made brackets by cutting some pipe in half long-ways, pop-riveting through the underside of the bracket to attach the item, then pop-riveting the bracket onto the barrel. Easy! I'll be using this technique a lot more from now on, I suspect.

The scope is made out of two pop-up sprinklers screwed back to back with a cut down sprinkler riser- very economical. I stuck a flashlight in the front of the scope for effect. The receiver was decorated with some levers taken from an old printer.

The Grip on the original airsoft was uncomfortable, so I ground it down a bit- it still could use some cleanup. I added a rubber buttplate to the back of the stock, taken from a Remington nylon stock. The Zap-20 stock was then ground down to match the shape of the buttplate. I drilled a hole in the stock frame to give it more character.

Get yours today! Except- er, I guess this one's a one-of-a-kind. Next project: something I can mass-produce!

Yours in Arms,

=I=

8. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

ROBOTS! aAAAAHAAGGGHaaGHGH!!!

Okay, These aren't guns, but the heck if I'm starting a whole new thread for one project.

W O R K I N P R O G R E S S

The boys wanted to be Robots for Halloween. When I was a kid, mine was a cardboard box.

[​IMG]
    I've been holding onto those cheap welding goggles for about 20 years, it's about time they get used for something.

The lower jaw is a separate piece, just strapped in back, sothe kids can use their chin to make the mouths move. It's hilarious.

More on the construction later. Here's the bodies so far...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I weathered the guns too (you may remember that minigun from my first post). I'm trying to work voice changers in there too, so they can have the robot voice thing.

Arms are nearly done, but I'm still working out the legs. More pics soon.

=I=

9. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Re: ROBOTS! aAAAAHAAGGGHaaGHGH!!!

What did you use for the helmets? You could display them as steampunk pumpkins. What an awesome job.

TazMan2000

10. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Sean is that you?
    That sniper rifle sure looks familiar.

E...

11. Zaxmon

Zaxmon Well-Known Member

The weathering is awesome! Write a tutorial! I know I could use the help. :)

12. propologist

propologist Sr Member

yeah I was thinking steampunk pumpkins myself...that part looks great for sure

13. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

TazMan: The heads are plastic hanging flowerpots, minus the hanging bits.

Division 6: Yep, it's me.

Zaxmon: Okay, basically:

1. Spray paint with a metallic color. Any metallic will work. (in this case, Graphite Krylon Fusion for Plastic).

2. Stipple black acrylic paint all over, especially the low areas and crevices. (I use craft paint, like Apple Barrel or Folk Art). You can thin it a bit with water to make the job easier. If it beads up, put a tiny drop of dish soap in to break the surface tension.

3. BEFORE the black completely dries, wipe the high areas down with a paper towel. You can stipple with paper towel to get some nice grain patterns too if you like.

4. Repeat this process more sparingly with a rust colored acrylic (Burnt Sienna, or whatever you kids call reddish brown these days).

Done!

Oh, and an update: Legs in process!

[​IMG]

The thing hanging from a belt are the hip plates (not lined up right in this shot obviously). It's expensive rubber floor mat cut into small rectangles, with some rust paint (see above) and silver sharpie for highlights.

The upper legs are perforated plastic for landscaping- I think it's used for tree wrap or what have you, I found it on the side of the road.

The lower legs are more ribbed drain pipe of course, slit in back so they can be clamped around the leg.

Still to come: Foot covers (probably 2 liter bottles), and probably some hand backs if I can find some black elastic lying around to attach them with.

Yours in sleep deprivation,

=I=

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  14. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

D O N E !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Zaxmon

Zaxmon Well-Known Member

Sweet, I'll try that! Thanks.

16. Fuzzual

Fuzzual Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice work man, they look great!

17. jimjim

jimjim New Member

nice work and thanks for the write up on antiquing. :thumbsup

18. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

"Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range."

'Bout time I made another gun, I figure.

I'm still adding the finishing touches to this baby (like a trigger), but here's where it stands right now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details and breakdown coming soon.

You're welcome to guess at the bits, and an extra prize goes to whoever can guess why I had a Muzzlelite shell lying around in my garage!

=I=

19. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Total Recall or Starship Troopers?

-Mike J.

20. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Nope- good guesses though! I did make use of it for a Starship Troopers costume, but that's not what it was originally acquired for... (hint- something older).

21. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Space Rangers?

22. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

I knew you would know. Yes, it was for a Space Rangers costume I never quite finished. Kinda like the show...

23. division 6

division 6 Master Member

LOL.
    Took me a few minutes to dredge that memory up.

Perhaps another question for the kids.

24. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

"Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range." Part II

Did some more work on the Plasma Rifle.

[​IMG]

It needed some color, so I put some leather on the grips and stock.

[​IMG]

I hated the dead space in front of the carry handle, so I put stuff in there.

[​IMG]

Also added some more details with a silver sharpie, metal tape, heat sink, grunge paint, and printer parts.

[​IMG]

It's getting heavy! Final trigger still pending...

[​IMG]

The business end. I used a moto tool coarse drum sander to take some of the black paint off of the barrel ribbing, so they shine a bit more and look more beat up. Ditto for the black heat sink on the front.

Oh yeah, you all still have one more chance to guess the other parts.

=I=

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  25. Harada357

Harada357 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

AWESOME pics !! GREAT imagination !!! :love

26. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

Re: "Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range." Part II

Great design ideas. It turned out really nice. Do you ever lend out your work to film projects?

27. Steamtech

Steamtech Member

Awesome work! Some of your gun designs are really impressive and would make excellent movie props themselves. Thanks for the detailed breakdown of the components too, you gave me some great ideas for how to use some of the junk sitting around the garage :)

28. blbarrett

blbarrett New Member

Great stuff like this is what happens when you set creativity free. cheers to you!

29. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Harada357, Yellowjacket, Steamtech, blbarrett: Thanks so much for the kind words! Glad I could inspire, I really just do this stuff for fun.

To answer Yellowjacket's question, I suppose I'd be happy to loan stuff out to filmmakers, providing there was some way to guarantee they would come back, hah ha! But some of my friends are amateur film geeks, and I've had several enjoyable opportunities to pop into their productions and bring some of my gear along.

30. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Finally back to props btw, yay! I'm brewing up a repro of some cool goggles that will probably become part of my Halloween costume this year, heh.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, they light up too.

[​IMG]

Not 100% accurate, but since there's no real prototype, I guess you could say they're the most accurate physical prop in existence?

[​IMG]

Seriously though, the guy who does the concepts is great at bashing together all manner of real world hardware into impressive looking digital images.

Now, quiz time: What's it from?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  31. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Re: "Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt Range."

T2 phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?

:lol

Great builds. The barrel on the muzzlelite . . . from 3 ring binders?

32. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Yep, binder rings. But way more than 3-ring, they're like 20 ring or something.

Okay kids, remember this?

[​IMG]

Well, after finishing the plasma rifle, I wanted to revisit the Matson-Deyer Z-20, so now it looks like THIS:

[​IMG]
    I added some capacitor cylinders, some metal tape, a hard drive spindle, agressive silver sharpie edging, black suede wrap on the grips, and sanded all the anodized metal to get the shine out of 'em. I also stippled some dark brown paint into the crevices for weathering, and to tone down the extremely shiny bits. I'm much happier with it now, looks like something out of Bladerunner.

[​IMG]
    I even added an aluminum ring to the end of the muzzle.

[​IMG]
    I really like how all the shapes and surfaces in the middle come together. Serendipity, and a good rummage through the garage...

33. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Finished another prop for Gotham City Impostors: The Grapple gun, for your amusement. Just in time to harpoon-steal someone's turkey!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's kinda hard to find shots of it from the game, but it is part of this MASSIVE image (the kilted Bat on the left is holding one):

[​IMG]

34. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Well-Known Member

Great stuff!

35. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

So I've been seeing all these cool Nerf repaints, and decided I wanted to get in on the action. Plus our house is full of N-strike Nerf guns, and I wanted to see how cool they could look when they weren't dayglow orange. And of course, some minor conversions never hurt. I now present the results of the first batch, soon to be Xmas presents for the kids...

[​IMG]
    This of course is a converted Longshot, a Recon with a converted stock, and a converted Nite finder painted up with a sort of hard sci-fi military theme a la Aliens. I juggled the parts around for fun, since they finally all matched in color. The modular nature of the guns is pretty cool that way.

[​IMG]
    Here's the two main guns with their original parts configuration (aside from the conversion work, of course). Actually, the stock on the recon is from the Raider. Or was it one of those super soakers? The double mag is just two 6 shot mags with a zip strap to link them, plus some foam padding between them for friction.

For the Longshot, I removed the front grip and installed a cylinder instead. I also removed the bipod legs and replaced them with a Remington foregrip. I even installed a flashlight in there- because the button is on the back, you just push in to turn it on and off. I added a small set screw from the bottom to keep the flashlight in place.

[​IMG]

The stock is also completely replaced with this scratch-built one, made from the bottom panel of a keyboard, some ABS plastic, cylinders cut from PVC pipe, and some black foam padding:
    [​IMG]

The Recon also got a modified stock. I cut down and rearranged the parts of the original stock, and added some tubing to give it more strength. I also added a cut down piece of floor mat for the rubber pad on the back.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the core guns. The Nitefinder is pretty basic, I just cut down the silliest looking bits, and added disc shaped details (actually bases from old Heroclix figures, heh heh).
    [​IMG]
    For paint, I sanded everything, primed with flat black, then masked and painted with satin olive (cheaper than the ultraflat camo paint, and almost as good looking), plus detail parts primed with bronze. To dull down and dirty up the guns, I used a mix of dark brown and black acrylic paint, stippled into the cracks and wiped / patted down with paper towels to remove the excess. Then to finish off, I used a silver Sharpie marker to stipple scratch marks on all the edges. A bit overboard, but it really pops out the details.

I might paint up an Alpha Trooper with the military scheme, since it can take the spare Recon stock (plus I already painted the drum from it). And of course, one of my Vulcans will be getting the military treatment at some point...

But the next scheme I'd like to try is a District 9 kind of feel, like:
    [​IMG]
    Especially for the more sci-fi looking guns (Another Longshot, a Firefly, and whatever else I can find lying around). I'll try to incorporate more cool protruding metal details in those conversions.

=I=

36. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Got the first set of armor done. I'm very happy with it, though next time I'll try it out with grey clothes so you can actually see it! :lol It should fit the boys well enough, armor's pretty flexible that way.

You'd be surprised how cheap and easy it was to get this all together. Secrets revealed next post...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=I=

37. James1969

James1969 New Member

Love the creativity here, top notch!

Those robots are giving me some ideas for my next costume.

38. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

So remember I said I'd how-to that armor next? I lied. (I'll still get to it eventually, honest).

Instead, we bring you... more NERF GUNS!

[​IMG]
    My favorite, the Alpha Trooper! With a Raider stock added. 18-round drum and foregrip pump make this a very satisfying and reliable clip-fed blaster. Get yours at Target today!

[​IMG]
    Okay, this isn't new, I just added a yellow stripe, and wrapped the grip with some olive green ribbon I found lying around. I like it better. Also I should mention the ribbed tubing on the stock is just electrical wire sheath.

But check out THIS baby...
    [​IMG]
    I didn't bother to paint the ammo belt, I wanted to make sure it didn't have any excuses to jam (plus the belt is grey anyway so it looks fine). Still runs sweet!

[​IMG]
    I did paint the ammo box though. The dirt is just black paint stippled on and dabbed with paper towel. I'm also getting better at the silver Sharpie metal chip effect.

[​IMG]
    The business end came out nice. This was a pain to mask, but worth it. The metal parts are sprayed bronze, then edged with silver sharpie again.

That's all for now. Stay tuned on that armor update though...

=I=

39. Randy of AFTimes

Randy of AFTimes Active Member

Hmmmm... Car Mats for the armor?

40. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Works in the movies.;)

Sean's work is incredible especially his utilization of everyday objects.
    You should see his Warhammer stuff.

41. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

That's right, Randy! I found great looking car mats (Rubbermaid brand, of all things) for only $13 at Fred Meyer's.

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the mat before any modifications. (I later found them in black, but the first ones I made started out gray).

[​IMG]
    Here's the rest of the materials used:
    1. Some industrial floor mat I bought at Home Depot (the black stuff with holes). This is just one square from the mat- it cuts down easily with a sharp knife.
    2. Foam rubber (the dark grey stuff). I cut up an insulation pad.
    3. Sheet plastic (the light grey stuff). Ideally you should try to get some black ABS plastic, but I had some of this stuff already lying around.
    4. Foam knee pads (Tommyco brand). These were only $5, and they had a cool look to them.

[​IMG]
    Because the Mat I started with wasn't black already, I just used some black craft paint. It stuck to the floor mat surprisingly well!

[​IMG]
    First, I trimmed the car mat as shown above, to form a neck hole and make the shoulders bend a bit easier.

[​IMG]
    Trim down the inside edges after cutting the neck hole, so the sharp corners don't jab you in the neck, right?

[​IMG]
    And while you're at it, trim off the little poky nubs on the underside too.

[​IMG]
    For the back plate, you might want to trim off the nubs around the edges of the bottom side.

[​IMG]
    Cut a slit on either side of the bottom of the mat- this is where the belt will go. Bevel the bottom corners, and trim down the edges so they don't poke into your sides.

[​IMG]
    To attach the back plate, I made a couple plastic rectangles and ran pop rivets through them, the car mat, and through the floor mat.

[​IMG]
    Be sure to use washers on the back side so the pop rivets don't just pull through. I made these washers out of plastic, but later picked up some proper poprivet washers.

[​IMG]
    To make the chest plates, I cut the plastic sheet down to 6" squares, then beveled the corners (note I spraypainted the plastic flat black here). Then I cut the foam rubber to match- these foam rubber pieces just help give the plates some thickness.

[​IMG]
    To attach the chest plates, I used extra long pop rivets and drilled holes first. Then the rivets go through the plate, the foam pad, and into the car mat. Use washers on the back again.

The Eagle is an old 40K imperial eagle badge- I cast up some with Sculpey, spraypainted them silver, then used black craft paint to shade them.

[​IMG]
    To attach the front to the back, cut a slit in either side of the front plate (we cut slots in the back plate already, if you remember). Use a black belt and run it out from the inside, over the edges, then back in and around the inside. Buckle the belt at the other side.

[​IMG]
    To attach the shoulders, I cut some bicycle innertube into strips, cut a slot in the armor and the shoulder pad, fed the strips through, and glued them on.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a view from the inside. To keep the shoulders from flipping around, I glued the straps completely over the top of the shoulders and the armor. There's probably a better way to attach these, but at least they're easy to put on this way.

End result again for reference:
    [​IMG]

Coming up: some really wicked looking Arm Guards made from cheap welding gloves, craft paint, and yet more floor matting. Stay tuned...

=I=

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  42. nog3

nog3 New Member

That is a really inventive use of floor mats! I'm going to have to make a trip to the local car enthusiast's store for something similar.

43. Finnlock

Finnlock Active Member

Very nice, I like your inquisitional storm trooper armor.
    You did a bang up job mashing RL items into pure sci-fi awesome.
    Through some =I='s on the shoulders or the breast plate and you're there!

44. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Thanks, Nog3! I couldn't find car mats this style at Autozone or O'Rileys, strangely they only had them at Fred Meyer for me. So fingers crossed for your search!

Finnlock, yeah, some kind of 40K stormtrooper costume will surely happen at some point, with these as the base... In the meantime, they're just fun! The key to a good 40K costume is the guns, since they're such an iconic part of the 40K look. I'll eventually get around to some Nerf 40K conversions- hotshot lasguns, Arbites shotgun, who knows. Certainly a bolt pistol, since the Recon is such a good starting point.

Oh, and now that everyone's got their Xmas presents, we did some quick photos.

[​IMG]
    I don't have the right boots in this shot...

[​IMG]
    This is a pretty good ensemble though...

[​IMG]
    This one's not wearing the armor or the right gloves, but has the right boots!

Some day, we'll get the proper group shot together. :|

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  45. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

Amazing work!

46. Ironhand

Ironhand New Member

Okay, on to that GLOVES tutorial. Note that the same techniques were used to make the boots.

The base gloves are easy- I bought a 3 pack of cheap-* leather welding gloves from Harbor Freight, painted them black with craft paint, and cut the fingers off. DONE! Well, you should superglue the seams after cutting the fingers off, so they don't fall apart.

Next, you need some old rubber floor matting, like this:
    [​IMG]

This stuff is easy to cut with a steak knife. Just follow the ridges on the bottom and you'll get a nice straight cut.

You can then bevel the edges of the ridges if you want, just by cutting them with nippers or scissors:
    [​IMG]

Okay, each glove will need a rectangle for the gauntlet and a smaller rectangle for the hand back. I made mine like this:
    [​IMG]

Then cut some strips of bicycle innertube to form straps. Then simply cut a slit inside one of the ridge squares to feed the straps through, like so:
    [​IMG]
    Note the hand back only needs 1 strap, the gauntlet needs two. I fed my straps through from the outside, then superglued them to the inside.

Finally, fold the gloves lengthwise and slide the pieces on. The gauntlet should end just short of the back of the glove, and the hand back strap should go in front of the thumb and across the palm.

End result- chunky, *' looking combat gauntlets, that still let you touch stuff (like your trigger!).
    [​IMG]

47. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Nicely done. I LOVE the way you made that armor. And your nerf guns are just killer!!

48. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

*, All the ideas going thru my head, never ONCE did I think of cheap walmart floor mats...

49. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Anything new on the bench?

50. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Nice stuff