Iron Man/War Machine Question

superfunk

Hey guys, I've done my research on it and I decided to finally pursue a full costume. I've started my War Machine armor and I've got the whole thing pep'd from the files I found on the 405th somewhere.

I just have a couple of questions that have probably been answered before but I don't know what to search for to find the answers.

-I am wondering how to do the neck seal. I like the idea of a pep'd one because it has lots of details, but I don't want a fiberglassed neck seal. Whats the best way to do it? I know some IM/WM guys have done this so any info or at least a point in the right direction would be great.

-I read about something called compression articulation and I can't really find the best way to do that. I am thinking about trying this method for my abs and my elbows,knees. (maybe the neck??) I tried a little project with plastic from those tubs you can get at walmart for like 5 bucks. I read somewhere that's what that ********* masterle used for his armor. My problem is that I cant get my rivets to stay in the plastic. Would bolts work better?

Like I said, any advice will be greatly appreciated and when I get these final pieces done, I can start putting the armor together.

Thanks guys!

For the neck seal, I'd use some kinda flex foam, or silicone/urethane rubber.

Compression articulation is nothing more than sliding plates, something around the arena of armored plating to where you bend, the plates bend with you. Le used elastic behind the plates and used rivets to hold it on, at least that's what he told me when I asked him.

If rivets aren't working, try using a small nut and bolt connection with a matching washer and see if that gets you what you're looking for.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

and CustomPropSculptorGuy, how exactly would I go about the silicone/urethane rubber deal? I've read countless posts about smooth on and molding and stuff, but it still is kinda over my head..

Basically, It's making a mold of the neck seal I want in clay or something, then making a mold with some sort of silicone, then using that to make another silicone mold? I'm kinda confused.

you pretty much got it down. check out you tube there are countless tutorials. plus look on smooth-ons website they have some tutorials as well.

I'll simplify it as best I can - and this might "offend" some people - but it's extremely simple...

Go get your form - being, your neck seal... whether it's made from clay, pep, what ever...

So you have your form...

Now you need to make a mold - for newbs, the best thing out there is Smooth-On OOMOO25 mold rubber - inexpensive, 1-to-1 parts A and B mixing (meaning you mix A and B equally ) and it will work for ya

There's two ways you can do this - a cavity pour, and a "painted" way...

First the painted way...

So mix your mold rubber, and with a chip brush, paint a nice thin "detail" coat on, getting the rubber in to the grooves of the seal. Let it tack up a bit, mix some more mold rubber, and keep applying layers til you have a good build up - about 1/4" - 1/2" (Highly recommend 1/2" unless you go with Rebound 25 - same mixing and everything, just has a lot higher of a cost)

The when the mold rubber sets, use some Smooth-On Shell Shock or Plastipaste - mix as needed, and paint that over the mold rubber for a few layers. Once that dries, take it off of the rubber, take the rubber off of the form - carefully.

Clean out the mold.

Put the rubber into the shell.

Align accordingly in the shell.

Take your casting material and put it in the mold, either slush it around, or paint it in, let cure, pull.

Cavity Pour:
Now you can also just put the piece on top of some clay, so the mold rubber doesn't get under the form, close off the top of the form... Make a box around the piece, mix your mold rubber, and just fill the mold box... Let it cure, pull. clean the mold, run the material and pull again....

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back