Iron man suit weaponary and propulsion

Ironman4lif

Hey guys
Im currently busy building an Ironman mark VI suit....i will want to simulate the weapon threat display as in The Avengers when he forced Loki to give up...... i understand some of the opening and closing of the weapons but would like if someone could explain all if the hinges etc. especcially the forearm grenades(they have a blue glow) as i cant seem to fund nice pictures that show the wrist grenades fully deployed .....and if someone out there knows how to make a plasma thruster .....PLEASE tell me .....as some1 on instructables has said it would be strong enough to lift the suit...but he doesnt have building plans for it yet ....
Thanks in advance

Ironman4life

A thread comes to mind... Building a fully functional flying metal suit for $100 isn't what you where aiming for hopefully?

The extra weaponry in the scene where Loki surrenders was added by Weta Digital specifically for that scene when the directors felt that Iron Man needed to look more menacing than simply aiming his repulsors. Im not sure that there have been any attempts to replicate this, as you only see these weapons in that scene, they arent part of the original design of the suit, and arent easy/possible to replicate.

You also probably wont find any additional images other than grabs of that scene for the same reasons as above.

You know Ironman is just a movie right? Plasma thruster? I might have an extra instruction booklet in the glove compartment of my spaceship...hold on:)

Last edited:
I take it you want these weapons to actually work, right? If so, pretty much everything other than the repulsor rays that doesn't use a targeting system could be replicated using modified fireworks (not that I recommend doing that at all).

However, as a much safer alternative, you could get a Stronghold Nerf Gun (the new version of the Maverick), take it apart to strip of it everything you don't need, and make your own custom ammo. It would be air powered that way, so you wouldn't have any danger of exhaust flames burning you. To replicate those blue things he fires at the drones in Iron Man 2, for example, you could get 3 nerf darts, join them together, and put a covering of some sort over the end of them to make them look like how they did in the film. Then you'd fire the middle one and viola! If it ends up being small enough, you could put that set-up on the top and sides of the wrist, like in the film (IIRC).

You could do that for pretty much all the weapons other than the repulsor rays and the targeted darts or whatever they are.

The Stronghold is powerful enough to fire a nerf dart across the length of my house with the dart remaining at almost exactly the same height. That's powerful enough in my opinion, but it's up to you.

Last edited:
Guys im not crazy...im trying to discover and create smething please dont criticise and comment like im a dodo-bird who just pushed his head up his ****hole.......im really serious about making it fly or hover above the ground at least......and NO im not planning to fire my weapons ....just display them like in that scene.....

Not trying to bash you buddy. Just stay realistic and if you have convincing schematics or drawings please show them. That way people will see you are not said dodo bird.

Those birds where however physically unable to shove there heads up there exhaust port.

You can certainly add as others have stated here , SFX type functions to simulate weapons etc , but realistically you could never make it fly, pryos might also simulate weapons fire and thrusters could be Co2 gas burst releases , your best bet is to mechanise as much as possible , add the best set of electronics ( sounds and lights ) and servos you can afford and then add simple safe pyro effects . The whole suit could be mounted on a flying rig as they do in the film, the problem is the cost, you are talking huge amounts of money . Many thousands of dollars , in truth and all the time the wires will be visible , its just not the thing to do and you'd be wasting time, effort and money. Concentrate on making it the best you can and be satisfied when others cast admiring glances !

Having had a good think about this , it may and I say may, just be possible to fake some kind of false levitation , rather like David Blaine does in his magic show , eg hydraulic extentions to make the suit rise a few inches, the mechanism hidden by fake exhaust gasses from the feet might work as a suggestion

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back