Iron man motorised faceplate electronics tutorial!!!

I still DO NOT see you powering the servos from the battery??

I see a USB plugged into Arduino powering THAT..??

and I see you (again) having +5v and GND -from- Arduino powering the rails of the breadboard..
if that is the case.. it is (again) wrong.

battery pack >>>>> +5v regulator >>>> servos.

the only wires you should have coming from the Arduino are the signal/control lines...

2-switch
5-led (which has no resistor,...still)
10-servo1
11-servo2

Im not sure why youre NOT doing what everyone keeps telling you to do?

Then in this video where 7sinzz demonstrates the code WORKING and shows EVERYTHING being powered by the ARDUINO USB, how is it that its WRONG, like you say, but still WORKS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-0U4pKvg1Y

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

We have been stating this over & over.. :)

the Arduino pin can ONLY provide so much current WAAAAAAY less than a servo needs.

sometimes.. -WITHOUT ANY LOAD-.. and ONLY 1 servo attached.. can you sometimes TEST (certain) servos.. because the current draw MIGHT be enough..

but you have any load on the arms.. more than 1 servo...etc.. it wont work.

but you dont have to believe me/listen... tons of peopoe have posted the same thing (over & over).. I have even pointed out the problems with using the diagram in the first post...

its up to you.. can you listen & try.. or you can NOT try it and be stuck and ask why over & over.

my suggestion would be to just listen & try it.. rule it out.

they even have a servo TEST in the IDE.. the SWEEP demo.. 1 servo.. 1 pot.. and it'll work.. but have it try to lift something.. probably wont work... when they move or have aload on them.. the current draw increases ALOT I guess.. I have read some even over 1A

and all servos types are different.. different current draws/spikes..etc.

so either you have it wired wrong... or this is your problem. :)

Last edited:
I tested my second servo and it's fine, nothing broken.
The resistor that i use are 10.3 ohms ( Brown black orange thin sliver and gold)
The voltage regulator is a +5v yes LM78M05CT 5V 0.5A Voltage Regulator - RobotShop
And finally the transistors are 2N3904

I just plugged a wire in the GnD plug after the 13th one, and it seems that my button responding a bit more, but always one servo responding :( must i buy some 0.33 UF and 0.1UF condensator ?

capacitors you mean?

are you using a +5v regulator? those caps are for decoupling/smoothing out the ripple in the power supply..

cant hurt.. and sometimes they dont work without them.. :)

the ratings look fine..

can handle the voltage you using for sure..lol

I think one is usually a ceramic cap... (no sure if it matters?)

you should get a capacitor kit of various sizes in ceramic and electrolytic types..

should also do the same for a resistor kit..

dirt cheap on eBay and good variety.

Ok so i saw that for a 7.4v batterie like mine i need 220Ohm resistors

For the capacitors i can't find a correctly kits with all kind of cap, ceramic are pF and electrolytic are uF. I'm not really an expert in this and i don't know what choose :cry

Following Memebr schematics you need 2 x 10µF capacitors ( 'condensateur' in french, may be confusing I admit). Those are the electrolytic axial ones and not the small yellow/blue pastille (ceramic capacitors with lower value).

BTW, concerning the resistor associated with the transistor. Is the 2200 Ohm value specifically calculated for BC548 transistors specs? When I searched info concerning LEDs and Transistor I found this site:

UMass Amherst M5

As the voltage is the same, the only difference I see is the specification of the transistors used (BC548 and 2N3904). I guess the difference is there and I think I'll stick with the 1k Ohm resistor for the 3904 to keep it saturated. Any flaw in my logic?

yeah I understand.. its avery overwhelming process to find parts/hardware with all the little details.. (I still have a hard time too) :)

realistically the cap specs are not THAT important (per say) if you go bigger..etc..

it helps remove the ripple in the power supply into/out of the regulator.

so lets do this:

no LEDS...

Q1: how are you powering the Arduino? (same +7.4v Li-Ion pack?)

Q2: how are you powering the Servos? (same +7.4v Li-Ion pack?)

Should be yes.. (or if using two separate power sources for each.. make sure the GNDS are connected)

battery pack >> Arduino
battery pack >> (cap) regulator (cap)>> servos

servo 1 control like >> Arduino pin 10
servo 2 control line >> Arduino pin 11

1.) take a multi-meter and test the power coming from your regulator.. should be a steady +5v

try some code that JUST move the servo back and forth..

try this simple code instead..

no buttons/switches
no leds..

just servos powered by BATTERIES.. with two lines going to Arduino to control them (actually this demo only uses one it seems.. so test them both individually)

Code:
#include <Servo.h> 

Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo 
                // a maximum of eight servo objects can be created 

int pos = 10;    // variable to store the servo position 

void setup() 
{ 
  myservo.attach(9);  // attaches the servo on pin 9 to the servo object 
} 

void loop() 
{ 
  for(pos = 10; pos < 160; pos += 1)  // goes from 0 degrees to 180 degrees 
  {                                  // in steps of 1 degree 
    myservo.write(pos);              // tell servo to go to position in variable 'pos' 
    delay(15);                       // waits 15ms for the servo to reach the position 
  } 
  for(pos = 160; pos>=10; pos-=1)     // goes from 180 degrees to 0 degrees 
  {                                
    myservo.write(pos);              // tell servo to go to position in variable 'pos' 
    delay(15);                       // waits 15ms for the servo to reach the position 
  } 
}

Ok so for DevilFlash i use xl97's diagram in post #1213, so must i have 1k Ohm ? and 2x10uF ? This is really confusing :wacko

For xl97 i used you code on each servo and work well, each servo do the movement perfectly.

what is confusing..?? its all laid out there in the diagram

1 x Arduino
1 x battery pack
1 x LM7805 +5v voltage regulator
2 x capacitors (10uF) are fine for now.. (follow the datasheet for your vRegulator though..it'll tell what value caps to use)
2 x servos
2 x transistors
2 x resistor for the transistor >> Arduino pin (I used 1k values as a base..I'll trim later)
12 x resistors for the eye leds (if following my diagram) (based of your source voltage, transistor vDrop and led fV)
12 x leds

* you need 2 caps for the regulator.. choose my values or the values memebr posted (doesnt matter) (you an try without them though..but better to have them in the end)

* yes you need a resistor on the transistor pin between the arduino pin..

* yes you'll need a resistor for EACH led in EACH eye circuit

Well thats good the code worked....!!

so ist most likely your wiring.. or some other error..

again.. make sure you powering things from the BATTERY pack.. and NOT the +5v pin on the Arduino!!!!! :thumbsdown

Perfectly clear now ^^

So i just find some 10uF cap and 1KOhm resistors, but no LM7805 +5v vol regulator, i'll give it a try like that by following your diagram. I'll come back with the results later.

Don't worry xl97, i've learn about the +5v pin on the arduino ;)

good job!..

** DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT THE +5v REGULATOR..

your servos NEED a certain voltage or they will fry!.. dont apply voltage over their rated limits. :)

I would use about 4.3 voltage as my source voltage when calculating the resistor values for the LEDS in the eyes..

source = +5v
voltage drop across transistor (about 0.7v I think)?
leaving us with a voltage of about 4.3v applied to the leds..

Source voltage = 4.3
Forward Voltage of LED: (have to look up your leds..usually around 3.2-3.3 or so)
mA we want applied = 15-20 or so
(6 leds in the diagram)

LED series parallel array wizard

says about 56 ohm value resistors on EACH led.. (these are NOT the resistors for the transistors) :)

BTW, small hint:

Servos powered by 4.3V (after Vreg) will have lower speed and torque as power requirement (4.8V) is not fulfilled.

Keep that in mind when you chose the servo and don't take low torque servos.

hi-

keep in mind.. that is for the LEDS.. behind/after the transisort (which creates around 0.7 voltage drop across it)

your servos are NOT behind a transistor and does not apply :)

(look at the diagram) no transistor in the servo circuit/lines anywhere. ;)

and I mentioned it (for the leds) so he can calculate the resistor value(s) and get bright leds..

Well...hmmm...yeah...nevermind, you can forget what I wrote. Short circuit in my brain. That's what happens when you post at 1 AM

Hi ! so i just bought some 56 ohm and a VRegulator +5 7805, so in approximatly 1 week i have all the stuff :) I'll give some new when i'll get it all ;)
DevilFlash ! xl97 ! Thank for your help :thumbsup

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back