Iron Man Mk III build (UK) Eyes, Voice control and paint on helmet

Re: Iron Man Mk III pep build (UK)

Love your PVC stand! I hope you don't mind if I make a pep for it! :) Very clever and usefull too!! You rock! Keep up the awesome work!

Love your PVC stand! I hope you don't mind if I make a pep for it! :) Very clever and usefull too!! You rock! Keep up the awesome work!

Haha, cheers. Are you on about the PVC stand for the dummy? It's just 40mm plumbing pipes with some right angle and T pieces to join it all together. If I remember correctly it was EyeofSauron that brought this method to my attention in a thread somewhere.

You are going to laugh! I have been eyeing store mannequins whenever my wife and I go shopping! Visualize me saying, "Uhm, do you have a six foot dummy for my Iron Man armor?" and the store clerk going , "Duh, Yah, I'm lookin at him!! heheheh! Your idea somehow seems more practicle and ....manly somehow! :D

LOL, I didn't feel too manly being covered in cling film and then wrapped in black duct tape. There are some people that use store mannequins for their stands and I think you can get them on ebay if that helps :)

Well it's been another while again. I've been constantly tweaking the helmet for an eternity it seems. While tweaking I've been busy putting together the LED eyes and making a bit of a botch job of the hinges which are now voice controlled via an Arduino with the easyVR shield attached.

Here's a few pics of the installed eyes and a video link to a demo of the voice control (video quality is a bit poor sorry)

With Flash
DSC09054.jpg

Without Flash
DSC09053.jpg

A couple of wider shots, again...
With Flash
DSC09065.jpg

Without Flash
DSC09066.jpg

All that's left to do on the helmet now is re-add some detailing after the tweaks to the alignment I made and add the screw head details and teeth. I'll call it done then (until I revisit my admittedly crappy hinges)

Oh. The link to the voice control demo

OMG, how did you make the voice control. That is so freaking cool man. I wanna have it!!!!

Thanks Mark.
It's all running through an Arduino Uno R3 with an easyVR shield plugged in to it. The written code needs some tweaking though as the servos jitter when a command is spoken, but it will do for now.

The armours come a long way mate and that helmet is looking real sharp! Great work! It does steal a shed load of time doesnt it this Iron Man lark :cool I know it all too well.

Re: Iron Man Mk III build (UK) Eyes and Voice control added

your build is coming along great!

Thanks Surreal. It's build like yours that encourage me to pick up my game. Not to contend with you, that's a stretch too far, but it just lets us know that those kind of results are indeed possible.

The armours come a long way mate and that helmet is looking real sharp! Great work! It does steal a shed load of time doesnt it this Iron Man lark :cool I know it all too well.

Cheers Steve. I often ask myself "what the hell happened to the last couple of weeks? It feels like I've gotten nowhere" It's not until I update the thread and have a look at the last post and realise that it was time well spent. I'm waiting for an update to your thread btw ;)

Love the helmet, all that work has really payed off.

Thank you very much. :thumbsup

Ha! I second that!!!

Great job on the eye lights Bamboodia!

Thanks a lot Bigturc. I'll be reworking the eyes at some point in the future as the size of each LED unit is preventing me from improving my hinge system as they only just about clear the 'mohawky air vent thing'

Cheers Steve. I often ask myself "what the hell happened to the last couple of weeks? It feels like I've gotten nowhere" It's not until I update the thread and have a look at the last post and realise that it was time well spent. I'm waiting for an update to your thread btw ;)

I know mate, my build has taken a different route of late, you'll see why soon when I post up :) I've kind of gone back to the drawing board with a few pieces.
Keep up the great work mate, the many hours are worth it I'm sure, that's what I keep telling myself

Looks amazing! I wish I had the time and means of making one for myself.

Right now my room is probably smaller than your costume lol

Wow! The voice activated helmet is way too cool! I was going through you build again and I am stupified by the speed of it! I have 3 weeks invested in a shin, boot and a neck! I admit to a few rebuilds for sizing, but your speed and quality are truly amazing!
M

I know mate, my build has taken a different route of late, you'll see why soon when I post up :) I've kind of gone back to the drawing board with a few pieces.
Keep up the great work mate, the many hours are worth it I'm sure, that's what I keep telling myself
Ahhh, the theoretical drawing board. Mines seen more action than the actual suit itself :) I shall look forward to the new revised pieces.

Looks amazing! I wish I had the time and means of making one for myself.

Right now my room is probably smaller than your costume lol
Haha. When I started out I was a bit naive. I thought I could get it all done really cheaply and in a few months. How wrong I was... It's definitely a big commitment to start making one of these suits. If I'd had known it would take this much time, money and patience I probably wouldn't of started in the first place. So glad I did now though.
Maybe try making just a helmet for yourself. You'll be hooked in no time then :)

Wow! The voice activated helmet is way too cool! I was going through you build again and I am stupified by the speed of it! I have 3 weeks invested in a shin, boot and a neck! I admit to a few rebuilds for sizing, but your speed and quality are truly amazing!
M

Thanks dude. The voice activation can be a bit finicky but is a lot of fun. I'll build a button into the circuit too as it doesn't quite work as it should in noisy situations.
I wouldn't take too much notice about how much time the build has taken as a lot of the pieces aren't completely 100% finished and also I've been fortunate enough to have plenty of spare time to put in on this build.
You take your time with those shins though, they're looking really good. If your finished piece is as good as your pepping it will be awesome.

Nice job man

Thank you very much :)

BUMP !!!
Chris your work is realy awesome i see youre on the good way, and im sure that you have the talent for it, but have patience and all wehre be realy good and you become more and more experiance fot it all my friend !!!!

BUMP !!!
Chris your work is realy awesome i see youre on the good way, and im sure that you have the talent for it, but have patience and all wehre be realy good and you become more and more experiance fot it all my friend !!!!

Thanks davy. That means a lot to me.

One thing I do need really is a proper workshop to do all this work in as the weather here has been so bad for the last six or seven weeks and it looks like it will be bad for the next 3 weeks at least.
With this I have some good news and bad news. The bad news is that I will be moving house next month so I am having to pack up all my stuff and save any money that would of been spent on the project for moving house instead. This means I will be taking almost a two month break from the project. I am gutted :(
The good news is that the new house is much nicer and I will have myself a proper workshop there to do all my work in :D. It will be much easier to keep organised and hopefully speed up the build instead of having to set all my stuff up in the garden only to bring it all in again when it starts raining. Damn british summers!! :darnkids

Oh. One more piece of good news. My RPF t-shirt came today. Hooray!
I couldn't resist uploading a pic of it modeled with the newly painted helmet.

DSC09159c.jpg

It feels weird to be taking a break from updating the thread after having been working on the build almost non-stop for nearly five months mow.
Oh well. I guess I'll see you all on the other side of the house move. I'll keep checking in on all of your builds in the meantime. Best of luck to you all.

Last edited:
Good luck on the move and congats on scoring a workshop! I have always had to do the garage in the heat or dining room table which scores tons of points with the spouse!
We will keep the thread warm for you and eagerly await more progress and great ideas from you! At least you will be able to give advice and keep us flying straight!
M

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back