Iron Man Mk III build (UK) Eyes, Voice control and paint on helmet

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by bamboodia, Mar 25, 2012.

1. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Hi everybody,
    I joined this forum a few weeks back after being inspired by STEALTH's youtube channel, the hero tutorials, to have a go at pepakura myself. After looking through the forums at some of your guys work (Surreal Studios, Finhead, Darkside501st, Zabana, Davy to name but a few) I was hooked.
    I jumped straight in and haven't really stopped since. Every spare hour I can give up when not in work has been spent on my Mk III IM. I've spent just over three weeks on it so far and hope to be finished with the pep in two weeks time. I'll be keeping this build as up to date as possible and there'll be loads of questions undoubtedly that I might need you guys to help me answer.

Here are the pics of the progress so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One question I do have at the moment concerns the cod piece. I have all the other pieces in their correct position and have referenced it against Dancin fools renders (as these are his files) but the bottom edges of the front and rear of the cod piece just seem a bit too high for me. What solution would you guys suggest for this?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. Strickler

Strickler Well-Known Member

Re: Iron Man Mk III pep build (UK)

Man thats alot of pep work right there. Great job, though I have no idea about the codpiece good luck.

3. widescreen

widescreen Well-Known Member

Hello mate,

it's good to see another Iron Man Brit fan.
    This is a lot of work. So far so good.
    With respect to your question - I'm afraid I can't help you either as I'm doing the MKV1.
    I have seen some pics where the rest (between the front & back) looks like a piece of rubber or foam. I hope this information is of some use.

4. megamarines

megamarines New Member

Hot * that is looking good! Keep up the great work.

5. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

How many hours do you think it took you to pep all of that?????

6. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks guys, your praise helps me keep motivated.
    @widescreen - Cheers for the info, I was thinking extensions to the pep work and then fiberglassing them but feared this might end up cutting vital organs off my body. Rubber or foam sounds more comfortable but I want it to be as rigid as possible. I'm in two minds here.
    @Crank729 - I think I must of put in 100-120 hours on this build so far. It's my first ever build so I'm learning as I go.

7. fingaz

fingaz Active Member

looking good,smashing pep work:thumbsup nice n clean.
    thats the easy part nearly out of the way.

fingaz iron man mk4 wip

8. ugameenough

ugameenough Active Member

wow looks amazing so far cant wait to see more. hey does any one know if i can get these iron man files for a mac??? i hope i dont get in trouble for askin that here. but i just cant fins any one and i really wanna start an iron man build.

9. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

The easy part? What have I gotten myself in to? :confused BTW your build is the dogs proverbials fingaz.

Thanks for the comments though guys, much appreciated. I'm afraid I can't help with the mac files, I don't have a clue when it comes to macs.

10. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Bam,
    Nice peping there!

Ohhh the cod piece .. been peping it twice now .. and will probably do it a 3rd time .. like most people who tried it I guess. Problem is, it's not made for a human being's size. so it always end up too small to slide on!

From what I see in your picture, it seems like you have the same problem and to make it fit, you stretched it laterally which deformed the model. So now, it lost its roundness and got flatter when seen from the side if you know what I mean.

My current DF version is scaled at 115% and it's still too small, so I'd suggest doing the same. Don't wear it too high too, it should really be spot on your *, making the upper edge quite low under the belly button .. is this any clear?

11. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks for the reply to my question on the cod piece Bigturc.

This is also my second pep attempt at it. The first one I scaled up to 112% but it was massive on me. The one that's currently on there is scaled at 98% (the rest of the pep is 95% as I'm only 5'8"). I trial fitted the new one on me and it did fit comfortably.

I think I'll have another go at pepping it again but I'll keep the 98% scale on it but reinforce certain areas of it to stop the deformation. My dummy in these pics is leaning forward from the waist slightly which has brought the rear of the cod piece up a tad. I've since straightened him (after it fell down flat on it's face while I was at work today, causing damage to the arm and chest piece :( )

Would it be beneficial to leave the cod piece off the dummy and resin/harden it before I put it on?

12. Bigturc

Mmm .. well I know one thing .. the current version I have that is 115%, once fiberglassed, I can't fit it anymore, and I wear 33 size pants! So if you do fit in it, and you can slide it on, I'd say just glass it and see from there. It's gonna give you a good idea of what you can achieve after.

The fact that I couldn't fit it on properly stopped me from workin on the abs and side abs so it stalled me on that part of the build! :|

One thing that helped my 2nd version is to add some support to the pepped part. I just measured and added strips of paper to prevent warping. Of course, as long as they're in there, you won't be able to try the part, but just do it in order: pep w/o support, try it on, install support, resin, glass.

13. rensole

rensole Active Member

looks amazing dude seriously WOW!
    currently working on zabana's warmachine HD version and i agrea they are frigging amazing :O!

i'm gonna keep an eye on this :D

14. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks very much, though you have me worried I may have gone too far with the pep work before actually seeing if it fits when resined and glassed :confused. I was happily confident plodding along thinking that if it fits the dummy it'll fit me (as the the dummy is essentialy me). Not so sure now. Time will tell i guess.

15. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks buddy. There are some wickedly talented guys on here. I'm merely trying my best to imitate their work.

Your build is coming along very nicely too.

16. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

A small update on the progress so far. I've finished pepping the right arm, right shoulder and done the thigh additions on the left thigh after spending a bit of time repairing some damage to it after the dummy fell over.

[​IMG]

I've now started working on the helmet. Once that is finished I will redo the right calf as it is a zabana pep file and not a dancinfool one. Hope you guys like it :)

17. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You're almost done!

18. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Yeah, just a couple of hours of fibreglassing/bondo(ing?) to do. I should have it ready and painted by the time I eat my Dinner :)

19. Dancin_Fool

Dancin_Fool Well-Known Member

Looks awesome, great work! I love seeing these builds come together.

That's interesting that the pelvis isn't working out. I modeled it around a human model so it should work. The only thing I can think of is that it's deforming so it's not fitting correctly. There should be supports in the pdo to help the pelvis to keep its shape. I assume you've been using my final files?

IronManMk3_Final.zip

Also for the pelvis, to get it over your hips I'd suggest taking a similar approach as the master chief builds, where the pelvis is separated into two parts, front and back, by cutting down the sides, then reattaching the parts with either a stretch fabric or elastic so that you can slide it and stretch it up over your hips but it looks like a single piece once it's in place.

Oh yeah I should also mention, if you are using an old version of the pelvis, the old version wasn't designed to fit with the abs as it was made before the abs were. I had to do a lot of reshuffling of the model to get everything to fit together nicely in the final build.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  20. davy

davy Well-Known Member

hey bamboodia ,

very good job my friend !!! if you need any help maybe ask me i can tell you some good tips for your work with filler/bondo, look forward and you win this match :)

21. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks DF. Without your fine work none of this would of been possible. I downloaded the final zip and yep, you guessed it, the pelvis is the older version. I thought I went through your development thread with a fine comb. There's nothing more fun than pepping something for the second or third time.....When will it ever end? That said though I'm really happy with it so far.

As for cutting the pelvis in two. I'm really not keen on the idea as I'd rather have it be a whole piece than to look like a whole piece. I'll see if it fits when finished I guess. Thanks again for your help.

Davy, mein freund. Danke sehr. Ich denke das Ich schicke dir ganz viel nachrichten mit mehr so frage da rein in der Zukunft. Ich bin nur ein newbie und keine idee hatt ich wie was ich muss machen und deine projekt siehst so gut aus Ihre Hilfe wird gebeten.

Entschuldigung, aber mein Deutsch ist nicht perfekt.

22. Dancin_Fool

Dancin_Fool Well-Known Member

I really need to clean that thread up, it's not very clear what the final files are. Looking forward to seeing your end result!

23. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Are you sure your scaling it proerly? The one I teplated my syntra off was scaled approx 10-12% over and it will fit a 35" waist and still looks correct to my build. Not sure how your not able to fit this at the scale your making.

24. Bigturc

Hey Fin,
    Yeah .. I'm pretty sure it's scaled properly .. I mean, how hard can it be right? I guess I have a big 33 *! :D

My biggest problem is to get it up to the waist .. after that, yes it fits even if pretty tight.

I just measured the inner width of my cod piece, and it's at 32.5cm. If I look in the designer, it's at 32.1cm ..

[​IMG]

Bamboo, let me know if you don't think this is helping your thread, I'll take this offline!

25. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Hey guys, it's been a busy few days with work for me so the build has slowed a little bit. I've just been too tired to squeeze in that extra couple of hours and this helmet is seeming to take forever. I'll hopefully have an update before i catch some zzz's tonight.

I think i went through the thread literally a week before you posted the compiled zip of the files. It's easy enough to find now though.

@Bigturc - It's all good info man. If anybody else reads this thread they might find it useful. I've settled on my scaling, which is 1.45 of the DF files, for my 28" waist and 5'8" height

26. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Well, I'm off for my zzz's now and here's the update to the work on the helmet. I can't decide if it looks a bit big though. What do you guys reckon? Let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Goodnight all. :sleep

27. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Another quick update. I've finished the helmet, repepped the right calf with DF files instead of zabana's, pepped the back flaps and pepped the right hip pod. I've now started work on zabana's awesome gauntlets and I have ordered myself some Fibreglassing supplies. I will get round to repepping the cod piece, for a third time, too at some point before I get too heavily into the fibreglassing stage.

Anyway, here's the latest pic

[​IMG]

28. guitarakizta

guitarakizta Member

sir how you get the measurement of the inside circle of the COD on the pepakura 3D veiw..? :)

29. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Nice work mate, Great to see a Mark III come together! also like others have said, great to see another UK Iron Man coming out to play.

It's tough one this Pep thing, it can be trial an error. The only thing I pepped on my build was my inner shoulder bells and elbow armour and I got some warping on those so it's not as easy as you'd think at times. Even with the inner frame. It's down to how tight you glue it and make sure it's done at even and straight as * it angles with the frame and then you're good to go.

If you need any help or advice when it comes to the resin and fibreglass / Bondo, Car filler stage then let me know. God knows we've all done enough of that.

My build is a modified TMP V3, I've changed out the Helmet, shoulders , Elbows, Hands and added more film accurate details around the back of the shoulder blades.

I thought it was going to be an easy enough job and I guess it was but it's so time consuming.

Good luck mate with the build and we'll be here to help.

30. Bigturc

Open pep designer in the 2D menu hit the measurement tool.

You'll be able to measure in the 2D and the 3D viewport! Most useful tool when you need to scale imho!!!

31. AdamJ

AdamJ Member

Is this a feature only in the fully paid version ?

32. Bigturc

No, it's maybe new since the last version is available.

33. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

thats so cool

34. AdamJ

AdamJ Member

Weird cause i downloaded the latest version just now and its not there... am i missing something ?

[​IMG]

35. Bigturc

Hum .. try the Edit Mode sub-menu :thumbsup

36. infymys

infymys Sr Member

^ That. Or right click on the 2D/parts section. Should be the last option.

37. AdamJ

AdamJ Member

Cheers guys :facepalm

38. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks man. You're not wrong when you say this pep thing isn't easy. I've had to make four calfs due to scaling and version issues and will also have to make a third cod piece for the same reasons.

Regarding the glassing stage. My thinking is that as long as I get the pieces about 90% in the correct alignment and shape I could maybe use a heat gun to warm the pieces up for a bit of tweaking should it be needed. Then once it's all correctly shaped I will start the body filler stage. Is this a good idea or recommended at all?

39. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Does this option come on designer #3? It sure would help with alot of scaling problems. Just not sure I want to spend the money on a new version:confused

40. guitarakizta

guitarakizta Member

sir can i have a download link of your pepakura designer..? with the measurement tools.?

41. Bigturc

Guys,
    There's a big sticky at the begining of this forum, I strongly suggest you read it .. all the info is in there.

Here`s the link to download the software:
    Pepakura Designer

Let's get back to this thread's awesome build now.

42. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Haha, well said! :) I was thinking of renaming the thread to 'Pepakura scaling and measurement tool tips'

I don't mind people getting the help they need but the thread was derailing a bit.

As for the build, I'm still in the process of fibreglassing but can't get too much done as there aren't so many warm hours of the day at the moment. I work split shifts so I try to cram some in in the afternoon. At night I'm still pepping zabana's gloves. I'll post a picture update on sunday when I've got some decent progress to show.

43. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks man, I didn't see this comment earlier ;)

44. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Hi Guys, It's been nearly a week since the last update as I've been busy with work still. I've got to pay for these fibrglass/bondo/arduino/servo....supplies somehow :D

I've managed to get some glassing done though and one zabana glove (minus three of its fingers). I've got a nice couple of days off now so will hopefully be at the build full time.

Here's a pic of part of the glove pep

[​IMG]

And the glassed stuff

[​IMG]

A couple of the glassed arm pieces have warped which is quite frustrating. Could somebody please point me in the right direction as to how I go about 'un-warping'(?) them.

45. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Hi Mate,

As Finhead said, with most resins and I'd agree with my experience as well that you get a small window of time really, once cured if you try and bend to far you'll get cracking but if your quick enough then you could use a heat gun or a hair dryer on a high setting and give this a try.

One way of stopping any warping it to apply the resin at the first stage even thinner, sometimes the resin can be over heavy and wet and with it's wieght it can cause the card to fold or warp in on itself.

If the warping isnt too bad then don't worry too much, once you go through the car filler / Bondo stage, you'll even out a lot of the un even surfaces.

Also , once the right surface is achieved you'll then take a mould of the piece as really it's advisable to not wear the original pepped pieces as these can be a lot heavier with the amount built up bondo to achive the shape you needed.

Hope this helps

46. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Thanks for your reply. The help is much appreciated. A couple of the pieces aren't too bad but there is one that is pretty badly out of shape. I'd left it to dry on it's stand only to come back and find it on its side. By the sounds of it it's a re-pep then :( I'll give it a go with a heat gun still to see if I can save it.
    Will let you know

47. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Your welcome mate, yeah it sounds like you've got hit there in it's drying stage when it's rolled over and been allowed by itself to change shape while drying.

A re- pep might be the way, it's a real trial and error process but worth it in the end rest assured.

Give that heat gun a go though first.

48. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

The part has been saved, much to my relief. The heat gun worked a treat. I had to get it quite hot, to the point where it was almost too hot to hold without gloves, hold it in the correct shape for a couple of minutes and voila! to my surprise it kept it's shape.

49. Kormier

Kormier Well-Known Member

Awesome work. Inspiring!

50. Kormier

Kormier Well-Known Member

For the glove, did you print it with the tabs or without (glueing edges to edges)?