Iron Man Mk III build (UK) Eyes, Voice control and paint on helmet

Re: Iron Man Mk III pep build (UK)

Hey guys. I thought I'd go for an update on my total progress this time to give an idea as to where I'm at with my build. From the start of pep work it's taken me nine weeks to get this far.

I've held back on completely finishing a piece as I've found out, like with the calf and thigh, that some pieces require tweaking to get them to fit perfectly flush when assembled.

The back I only started today which is why it looks so rough compared to the rest of the pieces. Anyway, without coming up with more excuses for the poor quality here are the pics of all the pieces I have right now.

DSC08707.jpg

DSC08711.jpg

The helmet fits like a glove too.

DSC08696-1.jpg

Abadee abadee, that's all folks.....for now. :)

Great job!
Man, you're blasting through your build!!!

A quick suggestion though .. the knee on your calf piece should be rounded, not have squared corners if you know what I mean. It will also better fit the thigh piece which is also rounded where the knee is.

Some great work here mate. This has taken shape really quick when you consider most folks take months over these things. I'd say the only route to take now is may e worth refining edges and smoothing out some surfaces to focus on the overall look. As you say you've not hit that stage yet .
The build is looking awesome. It's all down to filler and sanding now. The bit that take a little more time and really does pay off once complete.

Something I've lesrnt only recently when speaking to Figaz who's a master with body work and paint. It's all in the hands and the sanding blocks.
Re working and refining as you go. Running your fingers across surfaces for bumps and checking in the light for deviations.

Your build is looking great. Maybe focus on one area you want to see complete and then once done. Set that as your benchmark for the rest.

Some great skills here, tip with the plastic bags on filling while working on gaps is genius.
Look forward to seeing more.
Keep up the great work!

Great job!
Man, you're blasting through your build!!!

A quick suggestion though .. the knee on your calf piece should be rounded, not have squared corners if you know what I mean. It will also better fit the thigh piece which is also rounded where the knee is.

It feels like it's going slower than it could :) Thanks for pointing out the curve on the knee. The top edge of the knee is curved but not quite as much as it should be. I'll be hinging the thigh and calf together and then working on getting the joins as flush as possible using the plastic bag technique that I used on the helmet.

Some great work here mate. This has taken shape really quick when you consider most folks take months over these things. I'd say the only route to take now is may e worth refining edges and smoothing out some surfaces to focus on the overall look. As you say you've not hit that stage yet .
The build is looking awesome. It's all down to filler and sanding now. The bit that take a little more time and really does pay off once complete.

Something I've lesrnt only recently when speaking to Figaz who's a master with body work and paint. It's all in the hands and the sanding blocks.
Re working and refining as you go. Running your fingers across surfaces for bumps and checking in the light for deviations.

Your build is looking great. Maybe focus on one area you want to see complete and then once done. Set that as your benchmark for the rest.

Some great skills here, tip with the plastic bags on filling while working on gaps is genius.
Look forward to seeing more.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks Steve. I've been using a detail sander with a fairly coarse grit to get the general shape of the piece and then applying a fine filling compound and going over it with 200 and 400 grit using a sanding block and some free hand for the smaller areas. I'm going to get the helmet and chest as spot on as possible before bringing everything else up to the same quality of finish.

Thanks again for the tips and feedback guys.

hey Bamboodia lovin this build , Im new to the site and building ,
I too am from Wales , where about are you Im in Swansea in the South
keep up the good work cant wait to see it with some paint

Chris

hey Bamboodia lovin this build , Im new to the site and building ,
I too am from Wales , where about are you Im in Swansea in the South
keep up the good work cant wait to see it with some paint

Chris

Cheers Chris, and welcome to the site.
I'm from the south too, I live in Chepstow.

A quick question for you guys too. I've been looking into controllers for the faceplate servos. Would this one be any good? I'm a bit clueless on this really, all the arduino, pololu, servos, cables and what not have my head spinning a bit.

Pololu Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller (Assembled) (POL1350) | Proto-PIC.co.uk

Hi there, Im new to this but I am in the same stages you are. Stealth was a big inspiration to me and its people like you that help me keep going. Great work Im looking forward to watching your progress.

Hi there, Im new to this but I am in the same stages you are. Stealth was a big inspiration to me and its people like you that help me keep going. Great work Im looking forward to watching your progress.

Thank you guyver. I'm glad I'm helping to keep you motivated. Best of luck with your build man.

coming together nicely bam,:thumbsup steady away
keep up the great work.

fingaz iron man mk4 wip

Thanks fingaz. I've had almost no time to spend on the build this last week so progress has ground to a halt but will be back on it tomorrow.

Hi , im just wondering since you are uk based aswell , where did u get ur supplies like fibreglass and resin from for your build , cant seem to find a decent stockist on the internet for fibreglass

I've been working away on the helmet for the past few days using the brown paper method but instead of using brown paper between the faceplate and main body I used thin carrier bags instead as I found it easier to follow the contours. It worked a treat. :)

Here's a pic of how the helmet stands at the moment. I'm quite happy with it :D

DSC08692.jpg

This was going to be a bigger update as I thought I had finished the chest piece but noticed a mistake that I had made so will update that tomorrow after I have fixed the problem. Watch this space ;)

oh yes , you can be happy with it, it s a very beautiful result !:thumbsup

Hi , im just wondering since you are uk based aswell , where did u get ur supplies like fibreglass and resin from for your build , cant seem to find a decent stockist on the internet for fibreglass

Fibreglass, Glass Fibre, Gelcoat, GRP, Polyester Epoxy Resin - CFS Fibreglass Supplies Highly recommended. They stock everything you will need including all the equipment.

oh yes , you can be happy with it, it s a very beautiful result !:thumbsup

Thank you very much haldir. It still needs some work though.

good work man. I hope to get a chance to start on mine I think I will display them in my game room/bar. I working on the Hall of Armors display. Or at least a planning one.. keep up the good work.

good work man. I hope to get a chance to start on mine I think I will display them in my game room/bar. I working on the Hall of Armors display. Or at least a planning one.. keep up the good work.

Haha, thanks. The hall of armour would be brilliant. It'd be great to have a MkI, MkIII and a warmachine along with some Game of thrones suits in there. Best of luck with your room and your build.

thank you for the link above , do you know if they send to France ,please?

np, they don't deliver to France though sorry.

Well it's been a few weeks and I thought it about time I updated the thread.

I've gotten to a stage where I'm refining one piece and then looking at the others and thinking they don't look good enough anymore so have been going over and refining them too. I intended this to be a relatively quick build as I wasn't initially after a completely screen accurate suit but the bug has well and truly bitten and I'm spending more and more hours tweaking, testing, tweaking some more, cursing the gods and yet more tweaking.
On top of that I had a bit of a "f*^k me!!" moment when my helm was dropped on to the floor causing it to split right down the middle of the top and the bondo to fracture in multiple places. So I've had fun fixing that too.
While at it I decided that the chin just looked plain wrong and he had this gormless overbite on the go so I had at it with my dremel and cut the chin off, repositioned it, braced it, glassed it again and finished it with filler.

Here's a shot of the suit as it was a week ago.

DSC08952.jpg

And here's a couple of shots of the reworked helmet and an older shot to compare it to.

DSC08975.jpg

DSC08978.jpg

Older one:
DSC08692.jpg

On a side note too. I've just ordered some of zabana's awesome gauntlets. Very exciting :D

wow mate that's come on great! the hard work is paying off, I know what you mean about the bug biting and taking over, Mine was going to be a quick turn around but no, that was clearly never going to happen with mine either.
The chest and arms are looking great on your build, as before it's just a matter of continious refining.

A great build thread! thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot Steve.

I spent almost eight hours adjusting the helmet and when I showed the improvements I'd made to my friends or family they think I'm mad as they can't see the difference. So it's nice to come on here and find that somebody thinks my time has been well spent :)

Love how your work is coming along! I'm new to this and the RPF but have jumped in full throttle LOL! My poor wife and daughter are bored already with my "come here, you GOTTA see this build!!" "check this picture out." Fortunately my wife is a huge Marvel Xmen fan so I am getting no support. Kidding. I'll get support when I have a Comicon worthy suit to wear. If I was doing Magneto or some such....maybe they'd be "more on board" *sigh* Iron Man rules! I will be following your builds with much excitement and enthusiasm!
M

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back