Iron Man mark VII foam build

I got red painted on the helmet.

Photo on 1-20-15 at 1.12 PM.jpg

Also both hands are printed now.

Photo on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM.jpgPhoto on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM #2.jpgPhoto on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM #3.jpgPhoto on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM #4.jpgPhoto on 1-20-15 at 1.17 PM #5.jpg

I took the tape off. Interesting color scheme, huh? ;)

I'm doing it this way so the red and gold paints don't react with each other. First I sprayed it with Plastidip, then masked off the faceplate and chin part, and sprayed the red. Next I will mask the rest and spray the gold.

I'm thinking about leaving the eye frames black.

Photo on 1-21-15 at 1.16 PM.jpg

Resurrecting my thread because I'm working on a couple small things to get ready for Halloween. First, I'm making a new foam helmet from a more accurate file I created. My original plan was to finish my 3D printed helmet and gloves in time for Halloween, but I decided to not rush it, and try to get the quality and accuracy as good as I can. The foam one will be makeshift, but still more accurate than my first one.

Here's the model, and the templates mocked up in paper to check the scale.
Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 12.24.52 PM.pngedit.jpg

The scale is good, so next I'll start building it in foam. I'll also update my helmet and gloves thread once I have something to show.

Last edited:
What was your final upscale on the hands? I need to re-print mine, I bumped up the size but still couldn't fit my fingers through the openings, so I butchered them up to make it work for now. What size glove do you wear? I'm typically between a large and an XL (3.875" from index finger to pinky across my palm, 4.5" from the bottom of my middle finger to my wrist)

@ubcs86
Palm-dimensions90%.jpg
Image courtesy of kenlandrum

I'm re-reprinting them yet again, because while the main part fit fine, the fingers were too tight. I could just print new fingers, but I want to keep the proportions of the movie glove. This image shows the movie scale, and the underlined measurements are my scale. (90% of movie scale)

Not sure about my glove size, I'll have to check. I'll post a couple pictures once the whole glove is done.

Last edited:
I didn't take any progress photos of the new foam helmet, but here is a cruddy picture of the finished thing. I'll try to get some better ones later.

Photo on 11-2-15 at 7.09 AM.jpg

more more more :)

Here you go! :cool

P1010031.JPGP1010032.JPGP1010033.JPGP1010035.JPGP1010036.JPGP1010037.JPGP1010038.JPG

I left out some details like the screws and grooves, and the extra ridge around the ear because it was a speed build for Halloween. I had the foam pieces cut out and some glued beforehand, but otherwise this was all built, sealed, and painted the day before and the day of Halloween.

If anyone has any questions, fire away! Thanks for looking.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back