Iron Man Mark 7 Fibreglass Build - New pics of full suit WIP - page 4

Re: Iron Man Mark 7 Fibreglass Build - Helmet Done [Pic Heavy]

Thank you! Yes, I printed on normal sized paper (A4/Letter) but you have to get special "cardstock" paper. You can get it almost anywhere. It's thicker paper and is easier to work with when you glue it and put your fibreglass in it. I'm in the process of Pepakura'ing the rest of the suit. I'll upload pics when I can :)

:darnkids

Ok thanks man...nice job

Outstanding!!!

Thanks so much!

THE REST
Step 1: Pepakura

Now that I've done the helmet and seen what it's like doing the whole thing from start to finish. I'm now going to do the rest of the suit, one step at a time. Because I taught myself how to mould everything, I'm only going to create one pepakura paper version of anything that can be duplicated, then I will mould that and copy it to make the other side (ex: the arms).

PICS!
IMG_2515.jpg
I'm still using the v1 templates from Darkside (thanks!), and even though I would love to use the v2 files he's working on, I really wanted to get started on this. I figured I would do the smaller bits like the arms and just make up for the lack of detail in the bondo stage. Once I made the bicep, lower forearm and upper forearm pieces. I realized that the shoulder I made (a long time ago) is too small.. so now I need to redo that :( BUT, that's why I'm doing this all as one big step. This should let me see if everything lines up before hardening it all.

IMG_2517.jpgIMG_2516.jpg
Here are some more pics. I'm now done the elbow piece and the handplate, I am currently working on the left hand. More pictures to come soon :)

QUESTION: Has anyone else made the hands from the v1 files?? The scale isn't the same as the rest of the v1 files and I'm worried.

Last edited:

i have made the hands they fit perfectly buddy but also syrus54's hand files are even better man :)

reading this thread is a learning experience for me... that is a great looking process and product... WOO

Hi there!
I came across your thread and fell in love with what it came out to be. I was wondering if you could by chance email me the peperkura files you used for the helmet because I have tried to download them from links like 4share but nothing seems to want to work for me. If you could that would be a big help to me! My email is snugglepuddle@hotmail.com ( I know it's really weird it's my middle school email lol) thank you so much!!
~Dana

great work! excited to see the final suit! i am glad i am done with my suit... i got sick of pepping and switched to cardboard with my suit, sacrificed some of the details to get it done in time for halloween!IMG_1871.jpgIMG_1122.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

have you chosen paint colors yet? just curious! :)

Love that build man! I'm just starting the mark 7 for my son's summer movie

great work! excited to see the final suit! i am glad i am done with my suit... i got sick of pepping and switched to cardboard with my suit, sacrificed some of the details to get it done in time for halloween!View attachment 455413View attachment 455414

- - - Updated - - -

have you chosen paint colors yet? just curious! :)

Thanks so much! Yeah I can understand why you would want to finish this. As you can tell, I haven't finished mine and it's been like 3 years, but again, I only work on this when I have absolutely nothing left to do. I've actually started back up and am making some good progress. Pics to come in my next post!

Love that build man! I'm just starting the mark 7 for my son's summer movie
Thanks! How is yours coming along??

It's been awhile, but I'm back at it. Stay tuned for more updates!

THE REST
Step 1 - ??? (however many steps there are)
I had plans to do the whole suit in paper, then plastic, then fibreglass, etc... but I only got so far with the paper when the weather started getting nicer so I thought I should take advantage of it and started doing the rest of the steps.

THE ARMS:
I've finished the arm, it's primed and just needs painting, however, I am going to paint the whole thing at once. I don't have the finished pictures on me, but I will upload them soon. It looks good and I'm very pleased with it! I only made one arm because I plan on moulding it to make the other one.
IMG_4589.JPGIMG_4590.JPGIMG_4600.JPGIMG_4601.JPG

THE SHINS:
I've finished one shin. Well, it's about 98% of the way there. I have to do some touch ups to it before it's ready for the moulding, but I'm going to do all of that at once with the whole suit. I'm currently working on the second shin piece and the back piece.
IMG_4685.JPGIMG_4588.JPGIMG_4556.JPGIMG_4628.JPGIMG_0989.JPGIMG_0957.JPGIMG_4958.JPGIMG_4749.JPG

BACK:
I saved this one for last as it is the biggest piece of the suit. It's ready for the liquid plastic and then fibreglassing. I probably won't start applying the bondo until after Winter. I'm going to finish up with the second shin piece and call it quits for the winter. In the meantime, I'll be pepakura'ing the neck, feet, and then 3D printing the hands. Which are the only pieces I have left to pepakura :)
IMG_4320.JPGIMG_4315.JPGIMG_4311.JPGIMG_1478.JPGIMG_1480.JPG

HELMET:
No updates, just this pic I took yesterday of my friend wearing it, showing off the latest winter fashion from Paris.
IMG_1473.JPG

I look forward to the comments! Sorry it's been so long.

Darian

I realized that I didn't put any photos of the fibreglassing stages and found these on my phone so I thought I would share. As I explained in my last post, I tried to pepakura the whole build and then got restless and started the resin and fibreglassing stage. Here are some pics!

RESIN TIME:
This took me a few days to do as I had a lot of pieces to do, but I definitely recommend this approach as once I was done I could put the resin away for a long time.
IMG_3504.JPGIMG_3483.JPGIMG_3485.JPGIMG_3480.JPGIMG_3508.JPG

ALL RESIN'ED:
Here it is all laid out after sanding down the fibreglass along the edges. Just missing the back, neck, feet and hands.
IMG_4379.JPGIMG_4361.JPG

ARMS:
Here are "in progress" shots of the shoulders.
IMG_4492.JPGIMG_4367.JPG

Enjoy!

Just thought I would post a quick update.

ARMS:
I've started moulding the arms. Here are the two shoulder pieces and the elbow. I'm hoping to finish them all on Sunday, maybe even moulding the entire arm by then as well. I'm trying to do as much of the indoor stuff as possible while it's cold out. I'll save the summer for the sanding.

IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1771.JPG

QUESTION:
I am thinking of using plaster bandages as the shells. Has anyone done this and are there different/better brands that you would recommend?

Enjoy!

Hey everyone,

I'm still making the moulds for the arm and it's very exciting. Rebound 40 is extremely expensive, and I think I will buy it online from now on, but so far it seems worth it. Smoothcast 65D is what I'm using for the final product and I'm very impressed with the results. It's very strong and quite flexible. I don't seem to need to strengthen it with fibreglass afterwards, so it will keep it lighter. I fibreglassed the helmet when I used the 65D for the final pull and it's quite heavy.

I expect to have the final pulls of the arms done this week, then I can touch them up and will probably add the foam padding and connectors to them for a near finished product (minus the paint). I know I should probably paint them first, but I'm just excited to see how it all fits and feels. It's been so long :|

THE ARMS (CONTINUED)
Here are the elbow pieces. I'm going to make 4 full arms. I figure since all the materials are out already, I may as well make two full Iron Man suits. One can be more of a test suit.
IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG IMG_1799.JPG

Here are the moulds for the rest of the arm. I've touched them up and filled in all of the spots. This week I will make the shells for them and make two copies. I can't wait to see the finished result, especially with the Smoothcast 65D and how the elbows turned out.

IMG_1834.JPG IMG_1830.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1840.JPG

Thanks, and please ask any questions or provide some tips if you have them!

THE ARMS (CONTINUED)
Me again. I'm pretty much done the moulds, I tried experimenting with different materials and different ways to make 2-piece shells. We'll see how the final pulls turn out. I just have to screw the two halves together of my 2-piece moulds and I've got my smoothest 65D ready to go. I'm going to try to do some pulls this week or weekend, so wish me luck!

IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2031.JPG IMG_2030.JPG
Here are just a few different angles of the moulds for the arms. 5 pieces in total. I'll be 3D printing the hands methinks. Let me know if you have any questions!

Darian

Last edited:
MOAR ARMS!
So I've made some pulls from my moulds and they are looking pretty good. I'm debating whether or not I should pull two full sets of arms. The moulds are there and it would be so easy, but I don't know where I'm going to put a second Iron Man in my house. Baaaaah I probably should just do it. After all, the old saying is "The only thing better than an Iron Man suit is TWO Iron Man suits". ... Time for pics.

IMG_2063.JPG
Here is the Smooth Cast 65D mixed together.

IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2066.JPG IMG_2067.JPG
Here are some pics of the hardened Smooth Cast 65D. I did about 3-4 layers of the stuff on each piece. One thing I noticed is that you really want to give it a lot of time, like at least 30 minutes between each layer. If you add the next layer on too early, when the chemicals heat up, it starts pulling and warping the previous layer. I also noticed that I don't need fibreglass on the inside with this stuff. If you make it thick enough, it's very hard, but if you don't make it too thick, it's also slightly flexible, which will help with the final assembly of it all. You should play around and find the right thickness that works for you. Having the moulds, I have the luxury of just using whatever I want, and if it breaks, I can just make another :)

IMG_2068.JPG IMG_2069.JPG
And here are some shots of the pulled pieces. I have to clean up the edges, of course, but they look pretty good. A little bit of sanding here and there and some primer paint and I think they will look perfect. I made several elbow pieces as they were small and I was thinking they could be my paint tester pieces.

Thanks for watching!

Darian

It was going good, until he decided he wanted the mark 45, then war machine. So scrapped that. I'm doing war machine for myself and he just wears the pieces

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back