Iron Man Mark 7 Fibreglass Build - New pics of full suit WIP - page 4

Re: Iron Man Mark 7 Fibreglass Build - [Pic Heavy] WIP

Took a bit of a break from the helmet this week as I made the arc reactor. Had a lot of fun wiring, soldering, cutting, spray painting. Check it out!

IMG_2575.JPG
Cut the rings out of tupperware containers.

IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2580.JPG
A little sprinkle of magic... and voila!

IMG_2584.JPG IMG_2585.JPG
...and the (near) finished product for the Halloween partying on Saturday.

IMG_2590.JPG
It was a huge hit!

Alright.. back to the helmet! I think i'll aim for the whole suit done for May 3rd... you know why!

:darnkids

Last edited:

just a li'l advice: putting too much resin doesn't make it stronger. It will seem it is, but it will be actually brittle. I'm not sure how heavy your face plate is, but if you actually use 2 layers of fiberglass, it will be stronger and lighter. All you need is get the fiberglass mat/cloth wet, you don't have to saturate it.

Ohhh, thanks TB. I'll give that a shot on my next piece. I'm sure that will save me quite a bit of resin too!

will you make a triangle arc reactor ?
and are you just making the helmet or the entire suit ?

the helmet is looking good man keep it up.

Thanks!

will you make a triangle arc reactor ?
and are you just making the helmet or the entire suit ?
I haven't decided yet. I've built the v.1 arc reactor (still have a few things I need to fix up on it). I really like that one the best.

I will do the whole suit, I'm just doing the helmet in its entirety first as it is my learning piece. Then I'll do the whole suit and probalby mould as much of it as possible. Or at least mould the pieces that are more likely to break when I pull out my busted moves on the dancefloor.

Sorry I haven't posted in so long, I've started a new job, it was the holidays, family was visiting, blah blah blah. My little cousin was visiting from Australia and really wanted to help me out with the suit so for about 15 minutes a day on average, we would work on the chest piece. It's about 2/3s done now which is great and I will upload pics of that after I'm done the helmet.

As for the helmet...

THE HELMET
Step 6: Hinges
So I moulded and casted it, then I decided to paint it, thinking everything else would be inside the helmet... but then working with the hinges and securing them with epoxy clay, I got epoxy clay all over the outside with my fingers... THEN, I found a better red paint and decided to remove all of the paint anyways.

I'm using the mighty john hinges, but they didn't work out for me too well. They come in three parts and I used two out of the three. I am still very glad that I got the hinge system, as the guide was great to follow and helped get me started, but after aggro'ing for about 2 months over these hinges, I realized that I could scrap one of the pieces and it would work just as well for me. Because of MightyJohn's hinges, I know how I would make my own hinges if ever I needed to do something similar in the future. So thanks, MJ!

Anyways, like our old, banned friend, Tigerblood, says: "Pics or it didn't happen!"

IMG_2612.JPG
Here is what it looked like with the paint. Looks pretty good, huh?? Well I found better paint that was a little darker and little more metallic. I tested it on my master copy's neck piece and it looked good...

IMG_2781.JPG
... so I removed all of the paint. Here it is with the hinges holding it together.

IMG_2782.JPG
And here it is with the faceplate open, held together with the hinges. I know MightyJohn doesn't like us posting pictures of the hinges, so I made sure to light it so you couldn't see how they all fit together.

IMG_2784.JPG
Me with the helmet on, held together with the hinges.

IMG_2785.JPG
Me with the mask open. I've still got to put another magnet in the faceplate so it will stay up when I lift it up. Again, this doesn't show how the hinges work, out of respect to MightyJohn's request.

IMG_2729.JPGIMG_2725.JPGIMG_2730.JPG
And just for the heck of it, here's some older pictures of the chest piece. I've since smoothened it and added a few more layers of bondo and smoothened it again.

Next Steps:
Well, I'll probably finish adding the magnets to secure the faceplate when it is opened, then I'll add the lights to the eyes, then paiiiiiiiinnnnnt! (again)

Last edited:

I've padded the inside of my helmet with pipe insulation (I'll upload pics soon), it was like 2 dollars for 6 feet of it! Question, though: Does anyone have any other suggestions for padding? and where did you get it? (I'm in Canada if that makes a difference)

IMG_2806.JPG
annnnnnd back to painting. I love putting a fresh coat of primer on, it makes everything look so perfect.

I've also started working on the LED eyes, trying to get a decent effect with only one light per eye (to avoid lots of wiring/wires inside the helmet as I'm going to motorize it as well).

Pics when those are done!

Last edited:

THE HELMET
Step 7: Lights

So I added lights to the helmet. I didn't want a lot of wires because I am eventually going to add servos in the helmet and I have no idea who cluttered that is going to get, so I copied the same style that ProjectEarth did and made a casing for the eyes out of tupperware containers, filled the inside with tinfoil to reflect the light, and then only had to place 1 led in each eye. The finished product turned out really well.

IMG_2813.JPG
Here is the duplicated copy of the helmet with a new coat of primer on it and the eyes. In this picture I'm just testing the wiring by manually connecting the 9V battery.

IMG_2840.JPG
Inside the faceplate, this is how I rigged the wires. I connected them to two strips of copper with some padding underneath them. Inside the helmet is the 9V battery and wires leading to two other strips of copper. When the faceplate closes, they touch and the lights turn on.

Step 8: Moar Painting... again.
As I said in an earlier post I found better paint. I think this paint is my final choice, it's less "cartoony" and more metallic/badass. So here is what it looks like entirely finished (minus the servos which I will do AFTER the rest of the suit is built or until I get bored again).

IMG_2842.JPG
Full paint. Lights off! Even my friend on skype is impressed!

IMG_2844.JPG
Full paint. Lights on! Flowers in background!

IMG_2854.JPG
Full paint. Magnets installed and holding the faceplate up. They are pretty strong, only if I really shake my head will the faceplate come down. I assume the servos will help keep it up when they are installed too.. but I'm assuming that with zero knowledge on how servos work.

IMG_2851.JPG
Full paint. Lights on. On my head. I R IRON MAN! I need to adjust the faceplate so it's not as slanted. It does fit perfectly but I need to bump one of the magnets over about half a centimeter (or about | | this much for those in the states), that will straighten out his crooked smile.

Up next, the chest piece. I just need to go over it with the 150 grit sandpaper then it's ready for the first coat of primer to find the imperfections. Exciiiiiting! Pics when I can!

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mark 7 Fibreglass Build - Helmet Done [Pic Heavy]

Where did you get the sizes for the print out to cut? I plan on making one but I don't know where to get the sizes

Where did you get the sizes for the print out to cut? I plan on making one but I don't know where to get the sizes

I used the standard sharkmark helmet, and then in Pepakura I scaled the helmet as big as it could possibly go until the largest piece couldn't fit on the paper anymore. I thought I would make it big because I have a big head full of nothing, and I didn't want to put all this work into the pepakura stage and not have it fit. This helmet JUST fits now :)

I hope that helps at all

Random question for anyone that gets this far in my thread:

A friend and I want to rent Stormtrooper costumes (the good kind) for a weekend. Does anyone know a website that lets you do this? Or is there someone in Vancouver who has one that they wouldn't mind renting out?

Or does anyone know if there's a good spot on this forum to post this to?

Thanks!

THE CHESTPIECE
So I loaded up one photo of the chestpiece awhile ago. I started making that because I had my little cousin staying with me for awhile and he wanted to see how the whole process was done right from the start. I plan on finishing the chestpiece and then I will make the entire suit one step at a time (finish all the pepakura, cover it all in the liquid plastic, fiberglass it all at once, etc...)

Anyways, pics!

IMG_2913.JPGIMG_2912.JPGIMG_2902.JPG
This is after the first coat of primer. I love this stage because it points out all the imperfections. So my next step will be to fill in the little spots that need it and work on detailing the center a bit more. I'll also straighten out all the grooves.

Feedback and tips are appreciated!

Last edited:

Amazing work. I only just found this website and am amazed at all the things people are accomplishing. You make me want to attempt this, even though I have NO artistic abilities. I know this is a first time build for you, but are you a good artist? Because by judging this, you are incredible. If you don't have any other real skill, maybe there is hope for me, lol. Keep up the great work and I will be anxiously watching.

Amazing work. I only just found this website and am amazed at all the things people are accomplishing. You make me want to attempt this, even though I have NO artistic abilities. I know this is a first time build for you, but are you a good artist? Because by judging this, you are incredible. If you don't have any other real skill, maybe there is hope for me, lol. Keep up the great work and I will be anxiously watching.

If there was an award for sucking at drawing/painting, then I'm sure I would win it. The thing I've discovered while working on my build is that your success is determined by your ambition and drive. If you want to make a perfect Iron Man suit, go check out ProjectEarth's Iron Man helmet thread. He restarts bits of it over and over again until it is absolutely perfect. I have redone a lot of work on this helmet to get it looking just a fraction better than it was previously. There's a lot of trial and error that goes on in these, you just have to have the patience and determination, and never set a time frame. Also, if you really want to make an awesome build, keep documenting it on this site. It's feedback like yours that keeps me motivated to continue, and it will do the same for you :)

I love your work and would love some help with mine that I'm going to make.I was just wondering if you were worried about the licensing that marvel has over iron man. Anyone help shoot me an email scienceman1997@Yahoo.com

hey man I really like your works, following this thread since last year :D
I want to start on my paper helmet to, but the question is, how do you print the pepakura files? did you print on the regular A4 size paper?

I love your work and would love some help with mine that I'm going to make.I was just wondering if you were worried about the licensing that marvel has over iron man. Anyone help shoot me an email scienceman1997@Yahoo.com
Thanks so much! Sorry it took so long to reply. Been busy! I never actually looked into the licensing rules about Iron Man. I just assumed I could make a suit because everybody else on this site has too hehe. I think it will be ok to make whatever you want but don't quote me on that.

hey man I really like your works, following this thread since last year :D
I want to start on my paper helmet to, but the question is, how do you print the pepakura files? did you print on the regular A4 size paper?
Thank you! Yes, I printed on normal sized paper (A4/Letter) but you have to get special "cardstock" paper. You can get it almost anywhere. It's thicker paper and is easier to work with when you glue it and put your fibreglass in it. I'm in the process of Pepakura'ing the rest of the suit. I'll upload pics when I can :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back