Iron Man Mark 7 Fibreglass Build - New pics of full suit WIP - page 4

Re: Iron Man Mark 7 Fibreglass Build - [Pic Heavy] WIP

Looks great!!! Only thing I can see is it looks like the vent at the top is still a little high/slightly deformed on the right hand side.

Yes, you are right. It's been like that forever and I will try to take care of that after all the big stuff is done and I just have to detail, detail, detail. I've been putting this one off because it was deformed right from the paper pepakura version of it, so I wasn't sure how much I should tamper with it (since this is my first build). But now that I know how it all works, I'm confident I'll be able to even it out.

THE HELMET
Step 3: bondo-ing (continued)

IMG_2397.JPG
17. So I've been patching up the cut sides and trying to line the mask back up with the rest of the helmet. As you can see here there are some major holes that need to be filled.

IMG_2396.JPG
18. Another shot of the uneven lines.

IMG_2398.JPG
19. See it's a bit better now. Should be good for what I'm going for.

IMG_2438.JPG
20. It's getting there.

I put the remaining primer I had left on the whole helmet to see the imperfections and there is a lot of stuff concerning the lip that I need to address. The pepakura file didn't seem to have the gap between the chin and faceplate so I think I'm going to need to do some major reconstructive work. I've already raised the bottom part of the faceplate, but I need to completely readjust the top part of the chin so looks more like the Mk 7 version.

:darnkids

Last edited:

To answer your question you asked me thru PM... please see below photo for your reference...

You can find all the details on magnets and how I installed it here... post #523

DSC03693.jpg

Thanks for appreciating my helmet build :):thumbsup

Keep building... cheers!

Awesome work, man! Nice to see you have a sense of humor about it along the way of each stage :)

That is one sek-say helmet! I am a huge jellyfish. Wanna trade for my foam helmet and 1000 internets???

THE HELMET

IMG_2439.JPG
21. Just thought I'd add another update. I've fixed the lip so it has more of a gap (like in the Avengers), though this angle is quite hard to see. I will post some better pictures soon.

I've filled in the areas that I've cut and I've done some major renovations on the inside of the chin (to give the lip the same effect from the Avengers), which you will see later.

I've added the rare earth magnets to the backpiece, but not the inside of the helmet just yet, and it fits just fine with the epoxy steel clay holding it in. Thanks, ProjectEarth7 for the tips there!

Since this picture, I've also cut out the eyes (though I don't think I should have done that.. don't know how that will work with the molding), and I just cut off the chin piece last night. Next step will be to patch up the cut areas on the chin, fix the teeth, a little more minute detailing, and then casting time!

Last edited:

That is looking so good. I've started a paper helmet myself, but I didn't like it, so I made one out of foam but it doesn't have that many details, so I'll start again with a paper one for the Mk7 that I'm planning to build.

This helmet looks amazing! very good work on the sanding. my helmet turned out very bumpy cause i didnt have the patience with the sanding. Next one i make i'll take more time with.

Thanks so much for the kind words, guys! I really enjoy working on this because it really is a constant test of patience. I'm quite the perfectionist, so I could spend forever working on this, but I'm trying to learn to let go with a few details here and there in order to keep moving forward in a timely manner. In no way is this rushed, and I really recommend taking your time on the paper build and first layer of bondo. Getting those perfect as the base will make it so much easier afterwards.

Thanks again!

THE HELMET

IMG_2459.JPG
22. So as promised, here are some pics of the chin piece after I've cut it off and lined it back up again. To fill in the parts I cut, I used bondo for the first layer, then I used the steel epoxy clay that I bought to attach the magnets to fill in the small spots along the edges that still weren't lining up perfectly.

IMG_2458.JPG
23. This is the first time I used the clay for this purpose and it was SOOOO much easier than working with bondo. You have a much longer time to mold and move it and you can do it with your fingers.

IMG_2461.JPG
24. Here is a shot of the four pieces for the helmet. I just have to attach the last magnets to the inside of the helmet, fix the "teeth" on the jaw, and then finish etching the lines around the helmet. Then it's ready for molding!

Question: Anybody know a good thread that shows how they made a mold of the main part of this helmet after it has been separated like mine?

Last edited:

Looking good. Taking your time seems to be key when working on these projects/hobbies. I look forward to your continued progress

I enjoy seeing how smooth and clean it is, i hadnt put that much into mine since i wantnit to be done by halloween but plan to go back and get it like so

This is amazing!!! After viewing this, I think doing a resin helmet will be my next project. Great work and keep posting pics. :popcorn

very excellent.
Are you able to put it on with only the jaw removed or will you have to make the lower section of the back removable also?

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with it so far. I've got 3 out of 4 of the magnets attached to the inside of the helmet now too. Today I'll get the last magnet on and finish off etching in all the lines, then I think it's ready to mold!

QUESTION: Does anyone know a tutorial video on how to mold the helmet while it's separated from the other 3 pieces? I'm worried because most other tutorial vids out there show how to mold a fully closed helmet, not one with the face open. Heeeeellllp!

Not a huge amount of experience with molding but my plans are to create a silicone mold with rebound - 25 then slush cast the parts. On the open face part you are just going to prop up the part with something and paint on several layers of silicone. Then create a mother mold to go around the silicone. You will just have a large opening for the base that is the faceplate area through the neck.

Once you complete the mold you can then "Slush" cast the parts. Make sure you use keys or registration marks to ensure a proper alignment during the molding process.

There are also alternatives to Rebound - 25 out there some use RTV silicone (10:1) off ebay, and I am sure there are a ton of other options available.

Hold on to your wallet as this stuff isn't cheap.

Here is a few videos you can watch

Same idea as a full helmet just turning it a little bit to keep the open side down.

How to mold a helmet Part 1 - YouTube

Mold Making with Rebound 25 - YouTube

Last edited:

this is looking really good! working on a mk vii myself too, but have started on the body to get the scales right first and want to put it all up in card before i start the fibreglass and resin stages, have had to remake quite a few parts already!!! lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back