Iron Man Mark 1 - 1st Foam build ever

Jellyhugo

Greetings my fellow members,

I decided to take a leap of faith and being working on my first foam build ever. I am still fairly new to the whole pepakura thing and a noob when it comes to foam. All of my cosplays that I done in the past were just creative thinking about what to use as well as walking up and down local hardware stores searching for ideas. We are heading to Anime North and DragonCon this year so I wanted to start working on something new. The reason behind the Mark 1 is because it is older and to my knowledge would most likely standout more at the con's due to the fact that everyone will be making the new iron man mark suits. My other cosplays that I made were Mysterio, Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow. Well enough chatter, lets do this! As always any feedback both constructive and positive is always welcome as I want to be really good at building cosplays. MARK1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Mark 1 - 1st Foam build ever

I started out by making the helmet out of cardstock just to get an idea. I then transferred the pattern to foam. I had to build the helmet serveral times due to misscaling. Just a simple rookie mistake i know. Here is my progression.

0308151213.jpg

0308151353.jpg

0308151657.jpg - Too large and messed up the pieces

0320150330.jpg - alot better but didn't scale it properly

0320150330a.jpg - little better. Seems to fit right but i want to redo it. Want to attempt to remove the face part in order to put the motorized attachment just like in the movie to control opening and closing.

I am currently rescaling my helmet at the moment while i post more pics. Here are the images for my chest piece.

chestwip.jpg

chest3.jpg

chest2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Shoulders

shoulder.jpg

shoulderpiece.jpg

shoulders.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Right bicep

rightbicep.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thigh (right side)

rightthigh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Back

back.jpg

bettershotofback.jpg

finalizedback.jpg

I will need to get some D-rings in order to secure the back piece to the backside of the chest armor.

chestandback.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can't forget about the "jewel protector". Need to work on two belts that this attaches too.

cuparea.jpg

Working on the helmet again due to miss scaling. Working on the pep version before doing foam. Need to get this right.

Well, it's good to know that someone, somewhere in the world is also building the mk1. I m a few weeks in. Cardboard and fibreglass, not foam though. Keep it up brother and good luck. Looking good so far.

Well, it's good to know that someone, somewhere in the world is also building the mk1. I m a few weeks in. Cardboard and fibreglass, not foam though. Keep it up brother and good luck. Looking good so far.

Thanks Jasonium. Will try to post the helmet today if i can.

Just begun printing out the forearms. Think I have enough foam for the one. Need to go to Harbor Freight and pick up some more. Gotta love those 20% off coupons. :)

My dealer's got about 20 bucks off for a role of foam at the moment..think I'll bite.Running low anyway,so now is as good a time as any :lol

I'm about 6400 km removed from your location,otherwise I'd be happy to give you the link.Sorry for not being any use to you:facepalm
How's the building progressing?

I am currently working on my forearm now. Over the past couple of weeks, my heart was ripped out. I think i will start working on the Mark 1 arc reactor after i get the forearm built. Kind of need the arc reactor to work for real.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back