Iron Man Mark 1 - 1st Foam build ever

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Jellyhugo, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Greetings my fellow members,

I decided to take a leap of faith and being working on my first foam build ever. I am still fairly new to the whole pepakura thing and a noob when it comes to foam. All of my cosplays that I done in the past were just creative thinking about what to use as well as walking up and down local hardware stores searching for ideas. We are heading to Anime North and DragonCon this year so I wanted to start working on something new. The reason behind the Mark 1 is because it is older and to my knowledge would most likely standout more at the con's due to the fact that everyone will be making the new iron man mark suits. My other cosplays that I made were Mysterio, Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow. Well enough chatter, lets do this! As always any feedback both constructive and positive is always welcome as I want to be really good at building cosplays. MARK1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    DIY Rockstar and George like this.
  2. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Re: Mark 1 - 1st Foam build ever

I want to give a big thanks to JFcustom for listing the pep files where I got Iron Man Mark 1 Cave suit.

3. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I started out by making the helmet out of cardstock just to get an idea. I then transferred the pattern to foam. I had to build the helmet serveral times due to misscaling. Just a simple rookie mistake i know. Here is my progression.

0308151213.jpg

4. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

0308151353.jpg

0308151657.jpg - Too large and messed up the pieces

0320150330.jpg - alot better but didn't scale it properly

0320150330a.jpg - little better. Seems to fit right but i want to redo it. Want to attempt to remove the face part in order to put the motorized attachment just like in the movie to control opening and closing.

5. TKSteve

TKSteve Well-Known Member

To save you some time, the movie's Mk1 faceplate wasn't motorized. :)

6. vintageslant

vintageslant Active Member

Good work there, well done. :thumbsup

7. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thanks. I was watching it like several times the sound through me off. I know it opens up like a wielders mask.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you vintageslant

8. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I am currently rescaling my helmet at the moment while i post more pics. Here are the images for my chest piece.

chestwip.jpg

chest3.jpg

chest2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Shoulders

shoulder.jpg

shoulderpiece.jpg

shoulders.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Right bicep

rightbicep.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thigh (right side)

rightthigh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Back

back.jpg

bettershotofback.jpg

finalizedback.jpg

I will need to get some D-rings in order to secure the back piece to the backside of the chest armor.

chestandback.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can't forget about the "jewel protector". Need to work on two belts that this attaches too.

cuparea.jpg

9. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Working on the helmet again due to miss scaling. Working on the pep version before doing foam. Need to get this right.

10. Jasonium

Jasonium Active Member

Well, it's good to know that someone, somewhere in the world is also building the mk1. I m a few weeks in. Cardboard and fibreglass, not foam though. Keep it up brother and good luck. Looking good so far.

11. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thanks Jasonium. Will try to post the helmet today if i can.

12. Jasonium

Jasonium Active Member

Great. I look forward to seeing your progress on this.

13. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Helmet is redone. Came out a lot better. Hopefully I can sand it the right way to smooth out some areas.

Mark1Helmetfront.jpg

Mark1Helmetback.jpg

George likes this.
  14. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job :thumbsup persistance paid off.Building in paper/cardstock is definitely the way to scale

15. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thanks George!

16. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Just begun printing out the forearms. Think I have enough foam for the one. Need to go to Harbor Freight and pick up some more. Gotta love those 20% off coupons. :)

George likes this.
  17. George

My dealer's got about 20 bucks off for a role of foam at the moment..think I'll bite.Running low anyway,so now is as good a time as any :lol

18. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I would like to get some of that foam! :)

19. George

I'm about 6400 km removed from your location,otherwise I'd be happy to give you the link.Sorry for not being any use to you:facepalm
    How's the building progressing?

20. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

I am currently working on my forearm now. Over the past couple of weeks, my heart was ripped out. I think i will start working on the Mark 1 arc reactor after i get the forearm built. Kind of need the arc reactor to work for real.

George likes this.
  21. George

What do you mean by that?

22. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

My significant other told me they needed space and completely shut off all feelings. We are engaged too. I keep thinking positive thoughts and hope that she will come back to me.

23. George

So sorry to hear this,J. I hope everything will get back to normal for both of you as soon as possible:thumbsup
    Being creative will get your mind off of things for the moment,I can tell from my own experience.

24. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

With the exception of the missile which i will make out of PVC, my right gauntlet is done. Need to working on tweaking the shape just a little bit. Still need to get some D-rings to connect to biceps. Progress is moving forward.

0402151237c.jpg

0402151237a.jpg

George likes this.
  25. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Made some solid progress today. Got the left forearm done. Pretty pleased how it came out. Tonight my plans are to work on the left bicep. Going to attempt to suit up tomorrow and take some progress pictures. Just need to swing by and pick up some d-rings.
    0404151259a.jpg

0404151259.jpg

0404151258.jpg

SOUTHPAW and George like this.
  26. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Happy Easter fellow RPFer's! Will be working on my left bicep today and start working on the my mini arc reactor. Will post pics later on today. Thank you for everyone's support thus far.

27. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thus far. I will secure the d-rings after resining the build. I attempted to put it on with the d-rings and hot glue. It was a disaster, but seem to work out. Going to attempt the arc reactor and start working on the shins this week.

0405152056.jpg

28. George

Happy Belated Easter,Jelly.I hope you're doing alright.
    Your progress is looking good :thumbsup

Jellyhugo likes this.
  29. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Started working on the original arc reactor today for my mark 1 suit. So far so good i must say.

0410150005.jpg

George likes this.
  30. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thank you George. I am doing ok. Will try and work on my shins this weekend. I now have a deadline as I am heading back to NC to finish school in the fall. Art that point I won't be making anything for about 10 months. Ultimate goal is to have this ready by August 1. Still planning on heading to Dragon Con in September.

George likes this.
  31. George

You'll make it before then :thumbsup good for you though that you're going back to school to finish your education.Positive developments !

32. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Second degree. Doing something that I always wanted to do which was archaeology. Just think, archaeologists during the day and cosplay professional at night. Now that would be epic. lol

George and SOUTHPAW like this.
  33. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Posting will resume over the weekend. This thread is still active and pretty much alive. Just been busy with school and work. Thanks again for everyone taking a look at my build.

34. George

No worries.School and work come first !
    We're not going anywhere :popcorn

35. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

The arc reactor is done. Attempted to use the saudering iron for the first time. Needless to say i had no luck and decided to use hot glue. Need to work on my saudering skills over the summer. Don't think it turned out that bad.

20150424_110201.jpg

20150424_110208-1.jpg

20150424_120300-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

installed the LED lights last night. Very pleased how it turned out.

445.jpg

George likes this.
  36. George

Great work of art if I may say so :thumbsup

Jellyhugo likes this.
  37. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thanks George. Time to start working on my legs and shins over the next few days. Can't wait til it gets warmer so I can attempt to use Bondo then sand. Any tips on Bondo or something else that is better feel free to let me know.

George likes this.
  38. mmadadamm

mmadadamm New Member

this is awesome! good job! excited to see progress on this. Haven't seen a lot of MK1's

Jellyhugo likes this.
  39. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thank you mmadadamm. Ya I haven't either. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to attempt to do this. The other is that it is older therefore I should stand out more at con's. If everything goes well, I might attempt give it a dry run at Anime North at the end of May. In addition to this, I am working on one other cosplay as well as developing a cross over concept idea that I will hope to have done as well before Dragon Con. My whole focus is getting the rest of the Mark 1 suit built over the weekend.

George likes this.
  40. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Finally school is over. Back on track with the build. Currently doing the pep prep work before transferring to foam. Should have the legs and shins done by mid week. If everything goes well, i will be ready to bondo next week.

George likes this.
  41. George

Welcome back in action :cool it's amazing,the energy you get back from seeing your efforts literally take shape before your very eyes.Crafting really is a blessing

42. Loserizer

Loserizer New Member

That arc reactor looks pretty good, good job.

Jellyhugo likes this.
  43. DIY Rockstar

DIY Rockstar New Member

super cool work! :)

Jellyhugo likes this.
  44. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Thank you everyone. I got 2 other projects that I am working on as well. Next stop for me is Anime North in Toronto next week. Got the left thigh done last night/early this morning. Will work on my shins during the next few days.

uploadfromtaptalk1431433681395.jpg

George likes this.
  45. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Apologize for being absent. Still working on project. Been really busy. Almost have the right shin done and will post progress pic hopefully today. Almost ready to bond and sand.

George likes this.
  46. Jellyhugo

Jellyhugo Active Member

Right shin is done. Lots of sanding to do for this guy. Working on the left shin now. Should have something up for that this week. So many projects so little time. But now I am focused.

20150607_182901.jpg

20150607_182852.jpg

George likes this.