Iron Man Age of Ultron Mk45 3D Printed Armour build

wannabe

I’m going to start straight off with a warning that this is going to be a long and pic heavy post. With that stated, let’s get right into it.

I have been a keen follower of several Iron Man 3D printed build threads notably the excellent mk46 recently completed by @TKCC71
. Some of these threads seemed to have stalled, so I have been prompted to start my own perhaps to "fill in the gaps" as my own build has been, so far, somewhat of a very steep learning curve.

So here goes...

I’ve never really wanted an Iron Man costume before now. Whilst I've always considered the mkIII (and latterly the mkVII) of the original movie to be an outstanding design it just seemed like a lot of, well, hassle to build: foam, and glue, and paint, and stuff. That, and there were already many out there.

And then I bought a 3D printer. A Wanhao Duplicator i3 to be precise. I was pretty much goaded into buying one after spending lots of time modelling parts for a friend to print and seeing what kinds of things were possible. Personally, I think it is the future of replica prop-making and cosplay.

After printing a few models of my own, including a Dredd 3D lawgiver, a T21 heavy blaster, and some assorted greeblies I was looking for a new project to challenge me. It was around this time that I re-watched Avengers: Age of Ultron and my interest in an Iron Man costume was rekindled. It just seemed like the logical step.

I started this build in June 2016 and I've set myself the rough goal of having a wearable costume in time for Fantasy Basel in May of 2017 here in Switzerland. This led me to an estimation that I should have the upper torso, helmet and arms complete in time for the new year with the rest of the costume i.e. legs and final paintwork finished between January and May. Ambitious, probably. But lets aim high and I figured a year seems like a decent estimate. Electronics such as working flaps details and opening visor would be optional.

What I want to achieve:

Xdwiwdm.jpg

I know, it's gorgeous. Closely followed by the mk46, the mk45 really is the most beautiful Iron Man armour to date: more red than gold; a more streamlined and anthropomorphic look but with a certain style that recalls modern supercars seen in the aggressive looking intakes for example.

I played around with the idea of modelling my own armour but quickly realised that this was clearly beyond my skill level using 3DS Max. It was then, after some research that I discovered Do3d and their catalogue which included the mk45 armour from AoU.

I contacted them, and one PayPal transaction later I was downloading their models. It took a while to part them out into sections that fit my printer volume (20x20x18h) but after a bit of research I set out with the part that everyone seems to start with – the helmet…

Helmet build

The faceplate was printed on medium settings in Simplify3d (0.2mm layer height). I managed to print this in a single section using some nice and efficient branched support generated in Meshmixer.

dbmH3Ip.jpg

The obligatory mask shot...

9P71M0i.jpg

Dome printed with same settings

6WvPv2a.jpg

[SUB][/SUB]
srGs7Pj.jpg

Rear section next...

0ZXYoMq.jpg

Dry fit

OkXKeVf.jpg

Ears and cheeks printed and the whole thing assembled for a test fit. Pretty tight fit to my big head and I don't think there will be much room for servos and electronics in the end but so far so good.

Mu1Kl6i.jpg

RaDzx43.jpg

After gluing everything together and a spot of bondo filling, I moved directly onto hitting it up with a first coat of filler primer...

pvRLLlU.jpg

This, unfortunately, was where the dreaded "z-wobble" become highly noticible. These are the horizontal "waves" artifacts you can see in the print which are caused by tiny pertubations in the printer z-axis. A common problem with the i3 I was to later learn. This took me ages to figure out. In the end it was solved by adding flex couplers to the printer. But by that time I'd spent so long trying in vain to sand, fill, sand, fill, and sand and fill again it was driving me nuts.

q7wgQYk.jpg

In any case, I got the helmet to a state where I figured it looked fairly smooth and acceptable (enough for cosplay anyway) and I proceeded to the final paint selection.

I went with a black basecoat, followed by a Duplicolor (European brand) Metallic silver 10-0130, then 2 coats of Chrysler PRP Deep Cherry Red Crystal, Duplicolor metallic gold 40-0190, finished with a 2k gloss clear coat:

jgHCdvg.jpg

The black eye frames I had SLS printed as they were too small to print at home...

Gq3RBaX.jpg

2UtGJBD.jpg

The end result makes me smile every time.

The illuminated eyes were purchased on Etsy. I'm no good with electrics. They are laser-etched plastic illumiated by an LED and can be seen through without requiring the slit trick. Well, in daylight anyway.

KVk08IP.jpg

My side is chosen...

EgdKf2f.jpg

Bolstered by my apparent success with the helmet, I moved on to printing a forearm. The first slice looked ok. Again printed on medium settings. But again that dreaded z-wobble was going to kill me...

ApsNnV4.jpg

m9vphDi.jpg

Pretty good fit though...

thdikAh.jpg

Painting this thing was a nightmare. I must have gone through half a dozen cans of primer. Sanding, priming, filling, etc. trying to remove the z-waves. I was so close to quitting at this stage as the damn things just wouldn't get smooth enough.

FNdlJTB.jpg

Finally, with a bit of perseverance I got them to a stage where, painted flat black at least, they were kind of looking ok. I decided to leave them in basic black and move on.

UJgW6Iy.jpg

I started on the ill-fated chest and back sections next. Man were these prints were turning out rough. I'd later upgrade to an all-metal hot end from Micro Swiss and the quality of my prints would increase greatly...

3vjjKaW.jpg

Lots of gaps in the ****ty prints that would need to be filled...

B0cGgcR.jpg

Back sections. Do3D's model features opening flaps but no under-flap detail, unfortunately. I emailed them about this to ask if they could model something, but I received no response from them. Ho hum.

4wv2oNx.jpg

Final assembly...

U1G3l9i.jpg

After filling, sanding, priming, rinsing and repeating a few times and the addition of the flap sections it was starting to look pretty nice and reallly close to the movie design...

jLrxetE.jpg

A few things I printed and assebled but didn't bother to document were the shoulders and shoulder bells. Here is a full upper-upper torso laid out to show all the components. It's pretty impressive when it's laid out like this and made me feel better about my progress at a time when I felt I was getting nowhere fast...

84edWpB.jpg

A dry assembly of the bust showing my efforts at filling and smoothing the chest section...

VbRKEm4.jpg

Obligatory selfie...

AhH2LkB.jpg

A sudden change of direction

It was around this time that I started to try to figure out how I was going to continue with the armour. I had printed the Abs section, but because of the idealised dimensions of the Do3d model there was no way that I was going to be able to fit my "normal" frame into their "hourglass" abs section. No way. Unless I lost about 10kilos and wore a corset. I wasn't going to suffer that much for my art, that is for sure.

I was very frustrated. I felt a bit cheated. I had invested about 4 months hard work and a considerable amount of money into the armour at this point and I had pretty much just the bust to show for it. I was just about ready to quit and abandon the project.

Here is my junk box of the plastic I was throwing away...

bjZWXvl.jpg

It was then that I discovered MaxCrft models on Etsy. Max had 3d printable mk45 files for sale and I purchased them from him with the intent of reprinting everything and starting from scratch. His models are not as "screen-accurate" as Do3d, but they do have the advantage of being modelled to be wearable by the average human being. Bringing myself to toss all the parts that I had struggled to print and build was just about breaking my heart. However, through a lot of trial and error I eventually realised that I could potentially make a successful hybrid suit using parts from both Do3d and MaxCrft models. That is to say, the nicely streamlined arms, legs, and helmet from Do3d and the normally proportioned chest, back, and abs from MaxCrft. I pieced the models into 3D builder to test my theory:

JacZop9.png

FWPHKm6.png

Light blue parts: D03d
Dark blue parts: MaxCrft

So here we go, with newly refound zeal, I jumped straight into printing the new chest section...

(printed after the z-wobble killing upgrade to my printer, so the parts are considerably smoother from the get go)

OPfmV96.jpg

I also started soldering iron welding my parts for strength. Time consuming process, but works a treat...

0tKJerc.jpg

Here are a couple of comparison shots of the chest and back sections between models. Do3d on the left and MaxCrft on the right. The differences are considerable, but each has its merits. I still think that the Do3d is the more screen accurate design, but unfortunately its just bloody unwearable.

aGVdVW6.jpg

Oh, and as a bonus the MaxCraft comes with some pretty sweet under-flap details...

AnrOdxN.jpg

Hands need repainting. The colour is not the same Cherry Red as the helmet. The colour matching didn't work for some reason...

UdqZdXe.jpg

eBCg7lj.jpg

Forearms test

KWs8EZH.jpg

You may have noticed that this thread hasn't been presented in a linear manner. Much of the printing and finishing was done concurrently. But that brings me pretty much up to date. Here is my latest test fit of the parts. Remember this is a mongrel: Do3d helmet and arms with MaxCrft chest and back. It all fits together pretty well and I'm pleasantly surprised how little black undershirt is showing through at the shoulders. This will hopefully be even less once the shoulder bells are attached. I've some ideas about the undersuit also which should hepl make the joints appear more robotic...

q6Ui4ZB.jpg

No, those are beach shorts. Just sayin'...

hj1EPTs.jpg

G6yHrh2.jpg

So that's where I am right now. I've spent this weekend smoothing and filling the new chest section. I'm trying hard to get back on schedule following my derailment. This hasn't been helped by my printed going down and I've just managed to get it back up and running after rebuilding the hot-end completely. I think I'm having fun. My friends and missus think I'm crazy and most people think my timescale is way too optimistic. Let's see. I like a healthy amount of optimism. I just learned that my brother is skilled at programming Arduino and RaspberryPi, so I will be tasking him with sorting out the electronics. Bonus.

I'll try and keep the thread up to date, but please don't expect daily progress reports. I'll keep an eye on the thread for comments and questions, but if I post updates once a week I think I'll be doing extremely well.

Let me know what you guys think. I'd love to hear your suggestions and hints and tips.

dbmH3Ip.jpg

9P71M0i.jpg

6WvPv2a.jpg

srGs7Pj.jpg

0ZXYoMq.jpg

OkXKeVf.jpg

Mu1Kl6i.jpg

RaDzx43.jpg

pvRLLlU.jpg

q7wgQYk.jpg

jgHCdvg.jpg

Gq3RBaX.jpg

2UtGJBD.jpg

KVk08IP.jpg

EgdKf2f.jpg

ApsNnV4.jpg

m9vphDi.jpg

thdikAh.jpg

FNdlJTB.jpg

UJgW6Iy.jpg

3vjjKaW.jpg

B0cGgcR.jpg

4wv2oNx.jpg

U1G3l9i.jpg

jLrxetE.jpg

84edWpB.jpg

VbRKEm4.jpg

AhH2LkB.jpg

bjZWXvl.jpg

JacZop9.png

FWPHKm6.png

OPfmV96.jpg

0tKJerc.jpg

aGVdVW6.jpg

AnrOdxN.jpg

UdqZdXe.jpg

eBCg7lj.jpg

KWs8EZH.jpg

View attachment q6Ui4ZB.jpg

dbmH3Ip.jpg

9P71M0i.jpg

6WvPv2a.jpg

srGs7Pj.jpg

0ZXYoMq.jpg

OkXKeVf.jpg

Mu1Kl6i.jpg

RaDzx43.jpg

pvRLLlU.jpg

q7wgQYk.jpg

jgHCdvg.jpg

Gq3RBaX.jpg

2UtGJBD.jpg

KVk08IP.jpg

EgdKf2f.jpg

ApsNnV4.jpg

m9vphDi.jpg

thdikAh.jpg

FNdlJTB.jpg

UJgW6Iy.jpg

3vjjKaW.jpg

B0cGgcR.jpg

4wv2oNx.jpg

U1G3l9i.jpg

jLrxetE.jpg

84edWpB.jpg

VbRKEm4.jpg

AhH2LkB.jpg

bjZWXvl.jpg

JacZop9.png

FWPHKm6.png

OPfmV96.jpg

0tKJerc.jpg

aGVdVW6.jpg

AnrOdxN.jpg

UdqZdXe.jpg

eBCg7lj.jpg

KWs8EZH.jpg

q6Ui4ZB.jpg

hj1EPTs.jpg

G6yHrh2.jpg

dbmH3Ip.jpg

dbmH3Ip.jpg

dbmH3Ip.jpg

9P71M0i.jpg

9P71M0i.jpg

9P71M0i.jpg

6WvPv2a.jpg

6WvPv2a.jpg

6WvPv2a.jpg

srGs7Pj.jpg

srGs7Pj.jpg

srGs7Pj.jpg

0ZXYoMq.jpg

0ZXYoMq.jpg

0ZXYoMq.jpg

OkXKeVf.jpg

OkXKeVf.jpg

Mu1Kl6i.jpg

OkXKeVf.jpg

Mu1Kl6i.jpg

RaDzx43.jpg

RaDzx43.jpg

Mu1Kl6i.jpg

RaDzx43.jpg

pvRLLlU.jpg

pvRLLlU.jpg

pvRLLlU.jpg

q7wgQYk.jpg

q7wgQYk.jpg

q7wgQYk.jpg

jgHCdvg.jpg

jgHCdvg.jpg

jgHCdvg.jpg

Gq3RBaX.jpg

Gq3RBaX.jpg

Gq3RBaX.jpg

2UtGJBD.jpg

2UtGJBD.jpg

2UtGJBD.jpg

KVk08IP.jpg

KVk08IP.jpg

KVk08IP.jpg

EgdKf2f.jpg

EgdKf2f.jpg

EgdKf2f.jpg

ApsNnV4.jpg

ApsNnV4.jpg

ApsNnV4.jpg

m9vphDi.jpg

m9vphDi.jpg

m9vphDi.jpg

thdikAh.jpg

thdikAh.jpg

thdikAh.jpg

FNdlJTB.jpg

FNdlJTB.jpg

FNdlJTB.jpg

UJgW6Iy.jpg

UJgW6Iy.jpg

UJgW6Iy.jpg

3vjjKaW.jpg

3vjjKaW.jpg

3vjjKaW.jpg

B0cGgcR.jpg

4wv2oNx.jpg

B0cGgcR.jpg

B0cGgcR.jpg

4wv2oNx.jpg

4wv2oNx.jpg

U1G3l9i.jpg

jLrxetE.jpg

U1G3l9i.jpg

U1G3l9i.jpg

84edWpB.jpg

jLrxetE.jpg

jLrxetE.jpg

VbRKEm4.jpg

84edWpB.jpg

AhH2LkB.jpg

84edWpB.jpg

bjZWXvl.jpg

VbRKEm4.jpg

JacZop9.png

AhH2LkB.jpg

VbRKEm4.jpg

bjZWXvl.jpg

FWPHKm6.png

AhH2LkB.jpg

JacZop9.png

OPfmV96.jpg

bjZWXvl.jpg

JacZop9.png

FWPHKm6.png

0tKJerc.jpg

FWPHKm6.png

OPfmV96.jpg

aGVdVW6.jpg

AnrOdxN.jpg

OPfmV96.jpg

0tKJerc.jpg

UdqZdXe.jpg

aGVdVW6.jpg

AnrOdxN.jpg

0tKJerc.jpg

eBCg7lj.jpg

aGVdVW6.jpg

UdqZdXe.jpg

AnrOdxN.jpg

KWs8EZH.jpg

eBCg7lj.jpg

UdqZdXe.jpg

q6Ui4ZB.jpg

KWs8EZH.jpg

eBCg7lj.jpg

KWs8EZH.jpg

q6Ui4ZB.jpg

hj1EPTs.jpg

q6Ui4ZB.jpg

G6yHrh2.jpg

hj1EPTs.jpg

hj1EPTs.jpg

G6yHrh2.jpg

G6yHrh2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gros boulot! When I saw your box of rejected parts, my heart sank:cry All that effort for nothing. But glad you've switched machine and that now, you'll have less sanding and filing with your prints. Keep up the good work; eager to see your next update!!

"And then I bought a 3D printer. A Wanhao Duplicator i3 to be precise. I was pretty much goaded into buying one after spending lots of time modelling parts for a friend to print and seeing what kinds of things were possible. Personally, I think it is the future of replica prop-making and cosplay."

Your welcome!

"I played around with the idea of modelling my own armour but quickly realised that this was clearly beyond my skill level"

No where near the credit your work deserves

Wannabe,
Glad to see you back in business. Will be following this thread and really looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm also getting the itch again to start another Iron Man suit myself but haven't decided which one yet (Possibly War Machine Mark II). I too had so many issues trying to fit into my abs/cod piece (And still due with my current suit). Don't think I can even put on the suit anymore its such a tight fit. However it has now become a nice static display in my basement. Best of luck to you and looking forward to seeing this dream come true.

Cheers

Tim

Hey man, very nice build, im really looking forward to more updates!

What type of gloves did you uss for the hands? Any link where I can buy them? They look fantastic!

Cheers, Cri7e

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

Just for your interest, here is a comparison shot of the back section with flaps between Do3d on the left and MaxCrft on the right:

ritZNxL.png

Again, Do3d are the more screen accurate. But MaxCrft looks great too. If you've purchased Max's files you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
Little bit of progress over the weekend. Printed out the abdomen section. Still trying to decide about the vertical scale, but it seems to fit pretty well around. Parts will be heat welded together as before. Printing the kidney and hips now.

BdM3f0H.jpg

Last edited:
Here I am wanting to 3d print MaxCrafts mk46 suit for Supanova here in Australia which is at the end of April..hrmmm I'm thinking that's too ambitious!

Oh and by the way, awesome suit! Will be following!

As a long-time lurker to these forums I am always impressed by the quality of work and knowledge here. Interested in seeing your build as I also printed a MK45 (from do3d as well). Starting another MK45 to address printing issues (I was/still am new to 3d printing and there were infill and sizing issues). Anyways, back to your thread:

You may already know this but if you're printing in ABS some of the harder-to-heat-weld pieces can be bonded using Acetone. It's fast and the bond is incredibly strong. I started bonding with an all-purpose cement, then used a plastic welder....and finally using an abs slurry (ended up my go-to solution).

Your build looks great so far...I am giddy to see another MK45 lol. I'll be following!

IMG_20161014_222057[1].jpg

Thanks for the positive comments guys. They are truly appreciated.

@robsuro I'm printing in PLA as it's the material I am the most confident in using. I might try PETG for my next build (if there is one). Your armour looks great and I'd love to see more images. Unfortunately the Do3d abdomen sections are crazy small and I just couldn't see how they would work. Also, looks like you are using their old files? You might want to contact them about updates. Drop me a PM if you like and we can compare notes.

@TheArmourDen Max's mk46 files are great. His recent updates have fixed a few issues in accuracy. His files are just way better value for money than Do3d if screen-acuracy is not your no1 priority.

I'll be starting on thighs this week. Some long prints ahead of me. I'll keep you guys posted for sure.

Awesome build so far and i have a question - you will make it "factory new" look or battle damaged? Thnx)
:thumbsup

Jmen My plan is to weather the armour. Not completely battle-damaged with holes etc, but dirty and distressed like it's seen some action.

The other benefit of this approach is that the weathering will camouflage some of my bad finishing and spray painting. [emoji1]

Ive finished the first thigh section. It should really be the second thigh section but the first didn't fit so well so I upped the scale factor a touch and reprinted. My thighs and butt are quite large from years of cycling so the fit is somewhat, ahem, special. Anyway, will print the left one after the new year. Until then, here it is in all its glory. Lots of filling to do.

Last edited:
Another quick update. I received a Raspberry Pi beginners development kit for Christmas so if anybody has any experience of how to implement one into an Iron Man build I would greatly appreciate the help. I think I have a Micro with some kind of sheild attached, and a Teensy. I'd like to be able to control rear flaps servos and the suit lighting via a couple of simple momentary switches.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

By the way it has recently come to my attention that someone has posted the maxcrft mk45 files on thingiverse. Without wishing to derail this thread I just wanted to mention that I paid Max for my files and do not condone anyone using or freely distributing the hard work of another without the consent of the original author.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry for the lack of any updates recently, it's been a busy beginning to the year. Here is where I am with the right leg:

OcKnE3V.jpg

y0uMPSW.jpg

nAWtz7L.jpg

Fits pretty well so the left is following along similarly. Will be starting the boots next. Proportionately speaking they should end up large enough to cover a pair of sneakers and some lifts which will help the fit of the legs and give me an extra couple of inches in height ��

Have been considering how to join the shin and thigh sections. Will experiment with a double hinge system most likely.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back