Iron man 3 Mark 8 Fiberglass / kevlar / Aluminium

Sorry to rain on your parade , but if your planning to make a Ironman suit " bullet proof" , then you need to take into account the armour thickness and the required padding , moulding kevlar is not the same as laying fibreglass , one mistake and 'Bang' your dead !! The massive overriding factor is weight, and the physics involved and how are you going to move in the suit? As I have said on other forum posts , you cannot make a real Iron man suit, it's just not practical , make an Iron man suit of real steel first, and see how you go, as that will be like making a suit of armour,anyway - your target weight for the suit is 65 lbs total weight, as that is the average weight of a suit of armour from the 12 to 14th Century.

Sorry to rain on your parade , but if your planning to make a Ironman suit " bullet proof" , then you need to take into account the armour thickness and the required padding , moulding kevlar is not the same as laying fibreglass , one mistake and 'Bang' your dead !! The massive overriding factor is weight, and the physics involved and how are you going to move in the suit? As I have said on other forum posts , you cannot make a real Iron man suit, it's just not practical , make an Iron man suit of real steel first, and see how you go, as that will be like making a suit of armour,anyway - your target weight for the suit is 65 lbs total weight, as that is the average weight of a suit of armour from the 12 to 14th Century.

is possible, I show you the bullet-proof 'custard', or the Liquid Armor; It is a non-Newtonian dilatant fluid, works by absorbing the force of impact of the bullet and responds by becoming more viscous. the molecules are joined together when there is a collision.. It is liquid under low or normal pressure and solid under high pressure. This liquid is made with polyethylene glycol and the solid part is made of nano-particles of silica. This liquid is soaked into all the layers of a Kevlar vest.
2.jpg
1.jpg
The suit works using a viscous compound which, when attached to traditional Kevlar, absorbs the force of a bullet and responds by becoming thicker.
The pioneering technology has been created by a team of scientists at the global defence and security company BAE systems in Filton, Bristol.
This new fluid moves like a liquid until it hits a hard object in a few milliseconds and the fluid harden. The fluid is a colloid, ie physical-chemical system consisting of two phases continuous, normally fluid, and other dispersed as solid particles usually. The particles repel each other, but the energy of a sudden impact fills the repulsive forces between the particles and come together to form lumps called hydroclusters. When the impact energy is dissipated, the particles start to repel again returning to its initial state.
Is no cheap, and we are talking about do something real and functional, life is no a movie, in my proyect I go to use aluminium 6061, is no expensive and is a good material for work, specialy soldering if I need do it, so good luck with your proyect, but really think in real mode, If u gonna do something, do it well, if no, don´t do it.

Very funny coincidence that , I actually happen to know all about BAE and this product STF , I also know how thick it has to be to withstand a bullet hit do you ?? as in my real job, I've been there and visited the site . I very much doubt they'll sell you any , I know a great deal about engineering and physics and it is my opinion, after all, I was trying to be civil , Al 60 61 commercial , at what thickness ? 1mm , you suit will weight about 44lb before you add the kevlar,which will double it plus the STF , your getting to the point where you will not be able to wear it or physically move in it. But please do go ahead and prove me wrong! - I'll be the first to congratulate you .

Very funny coincidence that , I actually happen to know all about BAE and this product STF , I also know how thick it has to be to withstand a bullet hit do you ?? as in my real job, I've been there and visited the site . I very much doubt they'll sell you any , I know a great deal about engineering and physics and it is my opinion, after all, I was trying to be civil , Al 60 61 commercial , at what thickness ? 1mm , you suit will weight about 44lb before you add the kevlar,which will double it plus the STF , your getting to the point where you will not be able to wear it or physically move in it. But please do go ahead and prove me wrong! - I'll be the first to congratulate you .

I do not know what type of aluminum has to use this person,but in my project I will use 6061, and kevlar, but i no go to hunt criminals hahaha,I make parts with a thickness of 2 mm internal wall, the parts have different thickness, the mark V is an hibrid suit with a lot of parts, my idea is simple, greensand molds, smelting aluminium, I made a good foundry, I can work at 1900° F, so the aluminium can smelt easy at 1300° F, I made some parts for my bike in billet 6061, and I weld it, turning and machining easy, so the kevlar I go to use it for give greater thickness and rigidity for have less weight and durability.

I don't mean to intrude, but having a hostile attitude towards someone's project is not going to get you anywhere. I think dlowrider has a project he has thought out thoroughly and in my opinion it seems to be an interesting project. :)

I wasn't being rude or hostile , far from it , I do have knowledge of what he's trying to do , he's on the right approach , if he's foundry casting his own pieces and I applaud him for doing that, however I still stand by what I said in general, unless the metal is very thin 1 mm , it will be to heavy for him or anyone to walk around in once he add a kevlar layer , simple physics , the STF he's suggesting to line his armour with, is quite heavy and will have to be applied in a particular way , so I think he'll have to be selective in what pieces he lines eg head, chest and back, just in order to keep the weight down , he has already said he'll be casting different thicknesses, so he is thinking along the right lines. I've seen three suits made out of metal- Steel , Aluminium , and Tin Plate , all had to keep the metal thickness down to 1mm possibly 2mm. but no more , as you'll hit the barrier , Armourers' in the 12th to 14th Century did, and if you don't know what I am referring to, just do a quick bit of research.:thumbsup

Completely disagree. My ironman suit is made out of steel it weighs in at 120 pounds and is wearable the weight is dispersed over your entire body. Also medieval suits full steel are much heavier than you claim I own one I also own a 13 th century samurai suit it weighs in at 85 pounds but as others have already pointed out there are other materials that are lighter and could be potentially bullet proof.

Completely disagree. My ironman suit is made out of steel it weighs in at 120 pounds and is wearable the weight is dispersed over your entire body. Also medieval suits full steel are much heavier than you claim I own one I also own a 13 th century samurai suit it weighs in at 85 pounds but as others have already pointed out there are other materials that are lighter and could be potentially bullet proof.

Can I see some pix of your suit plz

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Why do you need a bullet proof suit? Do you plan on demonstrating it's capabilities? A dangerous task indeed. But one i selfishly would like to see anyway...GM

I don't mean to intrude, but having a hostile attitude towards someone's project is not going to get you anywhere. I think dlowrider has a project he has thought out thoroughly and in my opinion it seems to be an interesting project. :)
I second this. Regardless of whether it works or not it would be interesting to see attempted. Good things always come from pushing the boundaries (safely). Even if its just knowledge and experience.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back